Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

There are really, truly nice people out there, and for that, I am grateful

Puppyluv
January 17th, 2006, 02:49 PM
As Layla and I were coming home from our lunchtime walk on sunday, we were crossing the road at an intersection (with lights) a block from my home. As we stepped into the crosswalk, a car ran a red light and hit me. Layla, on all accounts, avoided any impact whatsoever, and came away a little scared, but totally scratch free. I on the other hand got hit head on, went flying through the air, was knocked unconscious, and was taken to the hospital (where I would later discover that I had dislocated my shoulder and my hip, torn two arm ligaments, had a concussion and some minor brain swelling, along with some major bruising) Before being carted away in the ambulance, a very nice couple, whom I have never met before, and chances are, will never meet again, took down my address, and took Layla for me. They took her to my place, got let in by a neighbour, gave her water and food, turned the heat on to my apartment, turned on a soft light and some light music and put Layla in her crate.
despite the fact that I was the injured one, I was more worried about her than I was about myself (my thoughts were similar to that of a drunk who is convinced they are sober, I was convinced I could get up and walk home, if only I could move my arms and legs...) These two selfless individuals made this experience so much easier on me, and for that I am so grateful. Thank you whoever you are:love: :grouphug:

StaceyB
January 17th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Oh my, are you going to be ok, you are very lucky.
Did they catch the one who hit you, I hope so.

TobsterMom
January 17th, 2006, 03:12 PM
OMG! :eek:

What a terrible thing! I hope you're on the mend, and glad that Layla's OK. There are a lot of nice people out there. Just when we think that the world is full of terrible people, it takes a tragic turn of events to see there are so many good hearted people out there. Glad to hear you're ok!

Get well soon! :sick:

Prin
January 17th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Oh my! That's horrible! Montreal drivers, eh? :mad:
Are you ok? Are you out of the hospital yet?
If you need any help let me know. I'm not busy at all this week (except for a few classes here and there...) :)

cpietra16
January 17th, 2006, 03:30 PM
I am glad to hear you are ok. If you want to know who these people are you might be able to get some newspaper or media to run the story. WIth all the bad that's in this world it would be nice to hear that there is good out there. I wish you a quick mending and I hope Layla won't have any lasting pyschological trauma.

Rick C
January 17th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Hope you're alright Puppluv . . . . . and best wishes to those two anonymous folks who helped out, whereever they are and whomever they are.

The police probably want witnesses to the incident and their names might be on that list. Just a suggestion.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

jessi76
January 17th, 2006, 03:42 PM
OMG!

You and Layla are definately VERY lucky...
Keep us posted, but definately get some rest.

** wishing you a speedy recovery! **

jjgeonerd
January 17th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Wow! :eek:

Good luck on a quick and full recovery...sounds pretty scary!

BMDLuver
January 17th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Best wishes for a speedy recovery. You were very lucky... someone must have been smiling down on you.

joeysmama
January 17th, 2006, 05:00 PM
How awful for you. I'm so glad that couple took such good care of Layla and that you are on the mend !! Take care of yourself !

rivers
January 17th, 2006, 05:11 PM
OM Galoshes! That is terrible! So glad to hear that there are some trustworthy people out there still.
Get better quickly.
Contacting your local newspaper about your story sounds like a good idea.

doggy lover
January 17th, 2006, 05:31 PM
I'm glad you are both ok. That is awful, I hope the cops took the drunk driver in, needs to have his licence taken away:mad: . Yes there are still some wonderful people in this crazy world. Take care of yourself and have some R and R

Frenchy
January 17th, 2006, 05:32 PM
And I tought I had a bad day!I am so sorry for you.I hope you will get better soon.And I hope they get that twit that hit you and never stopped.

Puppyluv
January 17th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Thanks everyone for your kind words and wishes. The newspaper idea is a great one, I'm going to get on that, because what that couple did meant so much to me. The whole event is still pretty surreal to me, I'm having a hard time realizing that it wasn't "bound to happen someday" that it's not something that happens to everyone. My memory from it is still pretty hazy, but my body is feeling the pain now. I know that the driver got out of his car, because I remember lying on the ground and hearing an argument between him and some witnesses (something along the line of "I didn't mean to do it, I couldn't stop in time" "The light was red, you should have stopped 10 seconds ago on the other side of the road" "I didn't know anyone was going to cross the street" "The light was RED! It doesn't matter!!") Other than that I have no idea what happened with regards to police etc, because I was pretty out of it and then carted off to the hospital. These are all the things I still have to figure out.:confused:

catsnatcher-CDN
January 17th, 2006, 06:34 PM
PuppyLuv, good to hear that you're ok and that the couple was there for you and Layla!
Imagine that!
This happened in MTL? In what area?
I'm glad you shared this story here.

:angel: :angel:

jesse's mommy
January 17th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Puppyluv -- I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm glad you are alright and Layla is fine too. I hate stupid drivers.

It's so nice to hear about the people who helped you with Layla. I like hearing that there are still good people in the world. You only hear about the bad on the news, never the good. You and Layla are in my prayers. :angel:

glasslass
January 17th, 2006, 11:13 PM
You both are so lucky! I'm glad those two were there when you needed them. Hopefully, they might contact you to see how you are. They sound like the type who'd do that - follow up to make sure you're alright. How long before you can go home and who's taking care of Layla now?

jiorji
January 17th, 2006, 11:14 PM
WOW! this is major. Hope you heal fast.
I also hope that guy got in major trouble and got his liscence suspended or somethign. This is really terrible! You poor thing.

I don't really know what to say. I'm speechless. Get better fast! :D :crazy: :grouphug:

Prin
January 17th, 2006, 11:24 PM
Isn't it "reckless endangerment" or something? Where's Marie-Eve?!:D (meb999)

Bushfire2000
January 18th, 2006, 07:12 AM
You were so lucky, I'm glad your recovering. What a nice couple, who knows what could have happened if they hadden't been there. Bless them and your recovery.

BMDLuver
January 18th, 2006, 07:37 AM
Oh.. you can bet that this driver will be charged.

Puppyluv, I was in an accident many years ago as a young adult. To this day, things are hazy as to what actually happened. Things sort of play slow motion in your head and then there are pieces missing. I was told that it's your mind protecting you from something unpleasant and that the memories you need come back. Just take good care of yourself and take time to heal.

Beaglemom
January 18th, 2006, 07:37 AM
Puppyluv, I'm sooo sorry this happened to you and Layla. Glad to hear that you will be okay and that Layla was taken care of. In this day and age it is very difficult to come across such a nice couple who are willing to go out of their way to help someone and to help a scared and confused dog. I like the idea of going to the media with the story. Get well soon!

chico2
January 18th, 2006, 08:14 AM
Puppylove,sorry for what must have been a very scary experience and I hate to think what could have happened to Layla,were it not for this couple.
I bet you are very sore,but also very lucky,I hope you get a chance to meet these:angel:

jawert1
January 18th, 2006, 08:16 AM
oh puppyluv, i'm so sorry that you were victim of such reckless stupidity. i hope they nail this guy to the wall and VERY glad that you're in one piece and so is Layla

Luvmypit
January 18th, 2006, 01:18 PM
OMG. I really really hope you are ok and taking care of yourself.

So glad you had someone, stranger or not there looking out for Kaylas and yours best interest. It had to be very traumatic for the both of you.

For anyone who is looking for similiar stories the Toronto Star has a section called Acts of Kindness. Love reading that.

Puppyluv take care of yourself, take it easy and hug Layla alot! God Bless.

Shamrock
January 18th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Oh Puppluv, how terrible! I am so sorry this happened, I send you my prayers and best wishes for a speedy recovery from your injuries. You must be in a lot of pain.. I hope they give you something for relief for this.

It is heartwarming to know there are caring people still out there who will help others. A letter to the newspaper to acknowledge these good samaritians is a great idea.

Schwinn
January 18th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Wow! I hope you have a speedy recovery, and they catch the tool who did it!

maddoxies
January 18th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Oh Puppyluv, so glad it was not worse. How are you doing now? Please let me know if you need anything. I am in Montreal until next Friday. Grocery shopping etc, with that shoulder and other injuries will be a problem.

I can tell you that you can order groceries on-line with IGA and they will deliver. I used them last year, when I first wracked up my knee.

meb999
January 19th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Isn't it "reckless endangerment" or something? Where's Marie-Eve?!:D (meb999)

LOL! Actually, to be found guilty of driving dangerously, it can't be a mere accident. He has to have VOLUNTARILY crossed the red light. If he was just not paying attention, it's an accident, and nobody's fault. If he did run the red light purposely (even though he didn't mean to hit someone) he could be accused of 'dangerous operation causing bodily harm' which is an offence liable to imprisonement (not exceding 10 years0. But as you can imagine, it's VERY hard to prove, beyond a reasonalbe doubt, that he knew he was running a red light. So he'll probably just get a fine for burning the red light. Montreal drivers suck.

Hope you feel better soon puppyluv! Take care of yourself, and I hope you'll get to meet the angels who took care of Layla!

heeler's rock!
January 19th, 2006, 05:10 PM
OMGoodness!! I hope you feel better soon!! Thank goodness for kind hearted people like that, and I hope you find them to thank them. :o Here's wishing you a speedy recovery!! :o

chico2
January 20th, 2006, 08:03 AM
Meb999,when we were visiting Montreal we stayed in a neat little hotel on St Denis,to be close to the Latin quarters and wonderful little restaurants and shops.We decided to walk rather than drive(too scary:D ) and parked the car for the duration of our stay:D

meb999
January 20th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Meb999,when we were visiting Montreal we stayed in a neat little hotel on St Denis,to be close to the Latin quarters and wonderful little restaurants and shops.

Hey! I go to School in the Latin quarters...you were right near the UQAM (do you remember it?) Sorry for the threadjacking :o :o

Not all montreal drivers are bad -- I drive around town with my car, so there's at least one good driver out there!!

How are you feeling today, Puppyluv? You recovering ok?

Prin
January 20th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Most people I know wait till they've been driving a couple of years and are more comfortable with it before they even attempt to venture downtown. It's scary sometimes. You have to be so alert... I've been downtown in a few cities, and Montreal is the scariest- between the jaywalkers with a death wish and the taxis with no mirrors and the double parking- and of course, in Qc you never go below 60km/h!:D

meb999
January 20th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Montreal is the scariest- between the jaywalkers with a death wish and the taxis with no mirrors and the double parking- and of course, in Qc you never go below 60km/h!:D

you forgot the worse ones : BICYCLE COURRIERS ... seriously, do these guys get a bonus if they cause a car accident???

Prin
January 20th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Oh, yeah! They're nuts. Like the Nobody's version of the paparazzi...:D

poodletalk
January 31st, 2006, 08:22 PM
How are you feeling puppyluv?

Prin
January 31st, 2006, 10:12 PM
Yes, how? I hope you are ok.:)

CyberKitten
January 31st, 2006, 10:42 PM
OMG, I never saw this thread till now!!! Are you OK? How are you feeling? Did you get good treatment at the hospital? Do you have a family doctor to follow up?

And I agree with the letter to the editor idea- I often see them in our newspapers here. Pick the one with the largest circulation (prob the Gazette if they are Anglo but do you know that eveb?) - you might be almost better off doing a news story - calling CBC Info AM (they would eat that story up) and that way, Radio Canada could also do something in the event they are Francophone. I think La Presse has the largest circulation even if most Quebecois and Quebecoise claim they read Le Devoir, lol

How is Layla after this adventure? What a scare that must have been. Were they good to you at the ER?