Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

[Toronto] RESCUE info wanted

picnic
January 17th, 2006, 01:51 AM
I am interested in RESUCING a small dog "in need" anywhere in Toronto or outlying areas.
I have already looked & inquired about dogs through Petfinder ...
but nobody could give me any info about rescuing a dog ...
only info about purchasing a dog for hundreds of dollars.
I don't consider an expensive dog to be one "in need".
I would like to open my home to a dog whose life is threatened.

>> that's why there are dedicated forums to rescue

I saw this in one of the moderator's info messages.
Being new here, I don't have posting privileges in the rescue forums here.
Can anyone please tell me if there are any other forums elsewhere
on the internet dedicated to Toronto area RESCUE ?

We are a homeowner couple in our 50s with no children &
currently no pets. We are previous dog owners.
In the past we have been foster care parents
for Toronto Humane Society dogs.

I thought that with the recent hurricane activity
there would be dogs that needed help ...
but I can't find any of them.

Thanks for any info :)

Toonces
January 17th, 2006, 03:22 AM
All rescues have to charge an adoption fee to recoup some income to help the next dog they take in. The Toronto based rescue I foster for charges 300.00 and I don't think thats to bad considering they are utd on all shots and spayed and neutered before they go to their new homes. I have had 2 fosters whos bills were well over 1000.00 so I don't think 300.00 is to bad.

happycats
January 17th, 2006, 06:45 AM
There are 118 small dogs listed on petfinders (I just did a search under dog, small, ontario) these dogs "are" rescued dogs, and as Toonces explained, there is adoption fees and these vary in price, based on the rescue.
Adoption fees are needed, as these organizations are not funded by the government, they rely on adoption fees and donations just to keep afloat, and it's still not enough to keep many rescues going, so quite often the rescuers have to use there own money!

Just think of the costs involved in rescuing pets. Food, vetcare, leashes, collars, dishes, litter, blankets, towels, bath supplies, a place to house the animals, would require rent, hydro, heat, water,phone, computer, and vehicles to transport them as well as gas and insurance. These are just the basic things required to rescue animals!

I don't know why you wouldn't want to support a local rescue, they can't possibly do it for free!

BMDLuver
January 17th, 2006, 07:10 AM
I think that perhaps the OP is looking for a free dog. I'll just point out that a free dog will cost far more than a dog that has been taken into rescue, cared for, vaccinated, altered and treated for any problems. I'm pretty sure this OP has already posted on petfinder for a free dog in the wanted ads which are only viewable to shelter members. :(

Lucky Rescue
January 17th, 2006, 09:57 AM

Where do you think these dogs came from? They were rescued from abuse, neglect, abandonment and kill shelters. And who is supposed to pay to return them to health and spay/neuter them? Rescues are NON PROFIT, and even if they weren't, why would they foot the whole bill (which can run to the many hundreds of dollars) then give the dog to you for free?:confused:

If you got a dog anyplace else, you will have to pay to have it neutered, vaccinated, dewormed etc and it would cost much more than the rescue is asking. It's around 40$ just to have the vet LOOK at a dog. It's "pay me now or pay me later" (and pay MORE later).

If you don't want to pay the adoption fee asked by rescues, and want a dog whose life is in immediate danger, you'll need to adopt one from a kill shelter. You'll still have to pay something as a fee, but you will not get everything offered by a rescue and included in the adoption fee.

Or look in the papers for "Free to good home" but don't be surprised if the dog is not what is represented, since many owners will lie about everything when they want to dump their pets.

Can anyone please tell me if there are any other forums elsewhere
on the internet dedicated to Toronto area RESCUE ?

There are hundreds, but none will give you a free dog.

badger
January 17th, 2006, 10:51 AM
And when you get the dog for free, and it gets sick, maybe something major, what will you do? Will you even neuter/spay it? Rescue is, above all, ACTIVE, we actively do things for animals to make their lives better and longer (or we try to). This is just realistic. Paying for an animal - and really, most fees are quite reasonable - means you are serious about making the dog's life better, not just improving your own.

maddoxies
January 17th, 2006, 01:53 PM

In the past we have been foster care parents
for Toronto Humane Society dogs.

Great, please help and foster for rescue. Frequently we get last minute calls to save dogs from death row at shelters. It is so frustrating not to have a foster home available to help us save these dogs.

Just a couple of weeks ago, I had literally minutes to say I would take a golden retriever who was in the process of being prepped for euthanasia. I said yes, we would take him and then looked for a roof for his head.(I found one, my home - even though it was not the ideal solution, it was better than death).

Rescues have to charge $$$ to pay for their vet bills. Most rescues I know, it is the VOLUNTEER who pays for the food, treats, collar, leash, the gas to transport, the long distance to screen families. We do it all willingly for the love of animals.

Thank you for wanting to help. There are so many needy animals out there, we can certainly use your help.

picnic
January 17th, 2006, 01:58 PM
What is an "OP"?

There seems to be some misunderstanding of what I am trying to do.
I am NOT criticizing adoption agencies ...
I realize it is the vetinary fees that are expensive.

As I mentioned in my initial posting I am a previous dog owner
& therefore WELL aware of a dog's needs.
As I said I want to provide a good & loving home ...
therefore no dog will suffer under my care ...
all medical requirements will be met with no problem.
As I said before, I am experienced with a number of
foster dogs through the Toronto Humane Society.

Some dogs I have seen on Petfinder have been there long periods of time
& obviously are not in danger of losing their life.

What I AM trying to find out about is where to get info on
those particular dogs who will lose their lives THIS week ... unless somebody saves them.

The media constantly tell us that dogs are being euthanized.
I want to save one of THOSE ones ... but I can't find any ???
Is there no where to get info & provide IMMEDIATE help to
a dog who will otherwise be dead this time next week ?

picnic
January 17th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Hi GoldenGirl :)

You must have posted your reply at the same time I was typeing mine.

You seem to have understood what I would like to do.
It was after I read your posting about the golden retriever in the
rescue forum here that I made my inital post here.

Can you please give me any info on how to find out about other dogs
who have an IMMINENT threat to their life ?

Thank you :)

badger
January 17th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Every dog in a kill shelter is at imminent risk. Take your pick. Dogs are euthanized for all sorts of reasons, and apart from the irretrievably aggressive or very sick, none of them deserve it.

Lucky Rescue
January 17th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Every dog in a kill shelter is at imminent risk

Right. This is why I said to go to a shelter. All the animals there are in danger of dying.

As was mentioned, you could also foster for a rescue. Rescues would like to help more dogs, but often cannot because there is no place to put them once they are rescued.

mesaana
January 17th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Also, please consider that, by adopting a dog from a rescue group, you actually free up a foster spot. So that when they hear of a dog that is ready to be euthanized in a kill shelter, they will have a spot for him/her.

In fact, in this case, everybody wins.
- The dog who has been waiting for a family for a long time and finally gets a forever home
- You, since you get a dog that has been evaluated by a rescue, so he/she is more likely to fit well in your family
- The kill shelter employees who get to place a dog with a rescue group instead of having to euthanize another animal
- The dog in the kill shelter that has been saved from euthanasia and gets a chance to be evaluated, treated for whatever he/she might have as far as medical issues, and has a better chance at finding the right family since the foster home/rescue group will get to know him well and have a better chance at placing him with a forever family instead of risking of adopting him out to a less screened and potentially less suitable family (Please don't misunderstand me, I think most shelters/animal control facility do the best they can with what they have.)

Just another way of looking at it... :) Good luck!

picnic
January 17th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Except for GoldenGirl, everyone on this forum has been critical
of my offer to help a dog in need.
What is the matter with the staff at dog resuce organizations
that they have to treat people who want to help with such anomosity ?
Why are volunteers not welcomed with open arms ?

When I was a volunteer for Toronto Humane Society doge,
I had no problems with the dogs ... it was the staff that I found rude.
Other people said the same thing.

Because the THS could did not have a friendly environment,
I stopped volunteering for them.
Judging by the response of senior members here
(who are most likely involved in rescue organizations),
I am not encouraged get involved with another organization
that will once again treat me rudely.

If dog reccue organizations want more volunteers,
they need to more welcoming of offers to help out.

Inverness
January 17th, 2006, 03:01 PM
I believe you mentionned in your original post that the only replies your got after enquiring about rescuing a dog were mere offers to purchase a dog ! I'd say that's the worst insult you can give to a rescue volunteer ! Not a single rescuer sells animals. They barely get some of the money they've invested back... maybe try and rephrase if you want people to understand what you want?

BTW, I believe a dog by the name of "Otis" just died today in an Ontario shelter because nobody ever offered to help him. Had anyone known sooner that you were interested in saving a dog's life, maybe Otis would still be alive... he was posted right here:

http://bulliesinneed.fivepixelmedia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=572

He's just one of the hundreds of dogs who died today. And you say you cannot find a dog to help ?

t.pettet
January 17th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Like the other posters I am also involved in rescue (mainly from shelters) but I also get calls from a 4 different vet offices about particular dogs that the owners no longer want for what-ever reason and if the owner agrees, if the dog is adoptable (not aggressive or sick) then I take the dog in to foster and find the best homes possible. Senior support centres frequently try to help the elderly find new homes for their pets especially if they are going into nursing homes or are too infirm to look after the animal.

picnic
January 17th, 2006, 03:10 PM
>> BTW, I believe a dog by the name of "Otis" just died today in an
>> Ontario shelter because nobody ever offered to help him.
>> Had anyone known sooner that you were interested in
>> saving a dog's life, maybe Otis would still be alive...
>> He's just one of the hundreds of dogs who died today.
>> And you say you cannot find a dog to help ?

This is exactly why I want to deal with dogs & not the rescue staff !!!
This is why I need to find a dog to help on my own WITHOUT
going through an organization with rude staff !!

That's right ... I CAN NOT find ONE dog to help !
In all the postings here, NONE have been able to tell me
of even ONE dog that I could save IMMEDIATELY !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am obviously not going to get ANY info on how to save a dog's life HERE
... please delete my membership.

Inverness
January 17th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Now what a coincidence ! What do I read on the FIRST page of the FIRST shelter of the Ontario Petfinder list ?

Single brindle female seeking a home and possibly more. Attractive, youthful, & intelligent seeks same. I love car rides and walks in the park. Please check out my picture at www.furkidsrescue.ca Oh! My name is Faith, and I have faith in you that you'll look me up. And please check out Sam - I don't know that much about him, but he really, really needs a FOSTER HOME immediately! Thanks for listening, Faith.

Well, I didn't have to search for long...

BMDLuver
January 17th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Walk into any shelter in ontario and you will find a pit on death row.

Check out petfinder message board and you will read about all the dogs that die daily.

You are the one who insulted rescues in your first post, so you don't think that fellow rescuers might get a little touchy with the following?
I am interested in RESUCING a small dog "in need" anywhere in Toronto or outlying areas.
I have already looked & inquired about dogs through Petfinder ...
but nobody could give me any info about rescuing a dog ...
only info about purchasing a dog for hundreds of dollars.

Sorry but you set the tone, we responded. Shelters and rescue groups don't just hand out dogs to someone on the internet particuliarly with the present approach.

badger
January 17th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Hard to get to the dog without going through a human first, unless you pick one up off the street. I imagine you're not too thrilled filling out that multi-page application either.

Prin
January 17th, 2006, 04:04 PM
When I was a volunteer for Toronto Humane Society doge,
I had no problems with the dogs ... it was the staff that I found rude.
Other people said the same thing.

That's right ... I CAN NOT find ONE dog to help !
In all the postings here, NONE have been able to tell me
of even ONE dog that I could save IMMEDIATELY !!!!!!!!!!!!!Uhhh... If you worked at the humane society, shouldn't you already know how it all works? Shouldn't you know who to contact?

And I have to say, no rescue will adopt to you if you keep saying "IMMEDIATELY". That's how most of the dogs get there in the first place- because people want a dog immediately and rush into it.

BTW, OP means "original poster".

Toonces
January 17th, 2006, 04:04 PM
I am a bit confused. Do you want to foster a dog or adopt one that is due to be PTS? Either one you chose to do is great but you will have to go through some kind of human contact first, rescues and spca's don't just hand dogs over without talking to a person first.

On this board you will find lots of people in rescue that only do whats the best for the animal, they sacrifice time, money, and put their emotions aside to do what they can. NO we are not rude we just have the animals best interest at heart.

Lucky Rescue
January 17th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Why is everyone "rude" to you? You say you want a dog who is in "imminent danger of dying". We have told you to adopt a dog from a shelter. You are ignoring this.

We tell you to foster a dog that has no place to go. You are ignoring this as well.

I guess we're trying to figure out exactly what you're looking for??

Go to the Toronto Humane Society page. They have tons of pit bulls who will die - maybe TOMORROW - because no one will give them a home. Take your pick. Why don't you help one of them?

There is no "rescue staff". The people who do this do on their own time with their own money and do the best they can. Most of them would welcome someone wanting to give a home to a homeless dog. Why are they refusing you?

IF you really want to save a dog, why must someone here find one for you? Are we supposed to go to the shelter and find a dog for you? They are easy enough to find. Plus you HAVE been given listings for dogs in danger of being killed soon.

What is it you want?? You want to help a dog, and there are tons who need help. Why don't you help one of them?

Jacqueline Hill
January 17th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Go to the Toronto Humane Society page. They have tons of pit bulls who will die
- maybe TOMORROW - because no one will give them a home.

THE ABOVE INFORMATION IS WRONG !!

FROM THE TORONTO HUMANE SOCIETY WEBPAGE:
http://www.torontohumanesociety.com/ban.htm

"Remember, if all else fails, we will accept your dog and find him a proper home.
The Toronto Humane Society is not euthanizing any Pit bulls as a result of the ban."

Inverness
January 17th, 2006, 07:23 PM
May I ask what is wrong about that information ?

raingirl
January 17th, 2006, 08:25 PM
I think we are all confused.

The OP wants to know who she could get in contact with to find out where the dogs who are most in need are. She wants to take a dog that maybe a rescue might know of or hear of. She is hoping a rescue will contact her if they are contacted about a dog that needs to be picked up right away.

Basically, she wants to rescue the dog herself.

She wants to know how to find out who/where the highest priority dogs are, what are the kill shelters, etc etc.

Maybe if some of the people here in rescues had contacts at shelters that she could contact to ask them about what dogs they have that are the most in need??

It's not so much that she wants to adopt a dog, she wants to adopt the one that is the most needy of all. I know in Brampton, they are no-kill, and a dog will just remain there until adopted. That would not be somewhere she wants to adopt from, as those dogs aren't needy.

You know those calls all you rescues get about "this dog needs to be picked up today or it will be killed". She wants to help in that situation. She actually wants someone to tell her that she is the dogs only hope and must be saved by her.

Lucky Rescue
January 17th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Are you saying the the Toronto HS is a no-kill shelter that is going to keep all the pit bulls that were dumped there when the ban came into effect for the rest of their lives, if they don't get homes? I don't see how they can do that.

Even no-kill shelters can't keep animals forever. There just isn't room.

I didn't say they were killing them because of the ban, but because there are too many of them and no place for them to go. How is that information wrong?

Prin
January 17th, 2006, 09:40 PM
What I don't get is why the OP is waiting for the neediest dog. I mean there are so many who need homes and deserve homes just as much.. As long as you don't get a puppy, pretty well everybody else in any shelter doesn't have much hope.

picnic
January 17th, 2006, 10:35 PM
I think we are all confused.

Right Raingirl !
You have understood what I wanted.
Most of the others here have displayed the harm untrained volunteers can do.

Instead of "matching" a prospecive dog owner up with a suitable dog,
people here have tried to force THEIR opinions on me.
This poor judgement has resulted in the alienation of a valuable resource
that could have helped a needy dog.

Prin
January 17th, 2006, 10:42 PM
What opinions? They were telling you where to go from here.:confused: :confused:

Prin
January 17th, 2006, 10:46 PM
You say you want a dog who is in "imminent danger of dying". We have told you to adopt a dog from a shelter. You are ignoring this.

We tell you to foster a dog that has no place to go. You are ignoring this as well.
Go to the Toronto Humane Society page. They have tons of pit bulls who will die - maybe TOMORROW - because no one will give them a home. Take your pick. Why don't you help one of them?

IF you really want to save a dog, why must someone here find one for you? Are we supposed to go to the shelter and find a dog for you? They are easy enough to find. Plus you HAVE been given listings for dogs in danger of being killed soon.

Did you miss this post? What else do you want after this? She told you where to go? So what are you waiting for? Do you expect somebody to run a dog over to your house? :confused: I don't understand how you can criticize all the rescues here who were trying to help and only got bashed each time.

White Wolf
January 17th, 2006, 11:02 PM
This thread has run its course. There are ample solutions to the original poster's questions within the thread and it will now be closed.