Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog's jaw chatters

Mstevens27
October 26th, 2003, 11:34 AM
I have a 4 and a half year old Old English Sheepdog. He is in good health and very active. For the past several years, every once in awhile, usually when sniffing another dog or another dog's scent, his jaw would start chattering - like he was caught in a trance.
Now - he is doing it more often, sometimes once a day - and for no reason (not sniffing another dog, etc.)
About three months ago we moved into a friend's house and there are three other dogs here. But he gets along very well with all three - and none of them do this.
Each time he does it, we snap him out of it and he will stop after only one minute or so.
Is this something I have to worry about? Is he not feeling well? Should I have him take any medications?
Thanks.

Lucky Rescue
October 26th, 2003, 12:14 PM
When you say "like he was caught in a trance" makes me think there is a possibilty that he is having partial seizures. These type of seizures often involve the mouth and the dog usually does not lose conciousness and may even respond to a stimulus such as you being able to "snap him out it."

It would be worthwhile to have this checked out!