Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rant - a certain municipal gov't and cops in national capital region

gdamadg
January 16th, 2006, 06:09 PM
:evil: I am not going to state the City or Police Department, just ramble on generally.

Ok, my gf calls me when I got off work to tell me about her horrible day.

This morning while walking to the bus stop on her way to school; on a section of street that for some reason seems like the sidewalk sander disappeared into thin air. Seriously, it is sanded and then stops and nothing but glare ice for about half a block, then the sanding starts again at the corner. She has complained to the City in question about it before and nothing was done. That short stretch is always the last to be plowed and never sanded. Because it is more dangerous to walk on the sidewalk; slip, fall, maybe even into traffic; she walks on the edge of the road. It is 4 lanes and the speed limit is 30km/hr and goes up to 50km/hr before the intersection. Lots of room and space for traffic to move. Her and her roomate were walking and she heard honking, by the time she was able to react and step out of the way, it was too late. Struck from behind on her arm by the passing minivans mirror. The driver stops about 20 feet away; to check his mirror and swear at her. By the time she could turn to get a plate number, he sped off. All this time, her roomate (aka. Miss Oblivious), kept walking and didn't say a f***ing word. Didn't even ask once today if she was alright.

After she I talked to her, she called the City to complain about the sidewalks. The guy on the phone said they would "rectify it", but didn't say anything about her getting hit by a car. She then called the cops and they sent an officer out to take her statement. When he arrived, he told her there was nothing they could do but take her statement and file a report, cause she didn't have his plate number. But she would be charged if she went through with it, 'cause she wasn't supposed to be walking on the road. After she told me that, I looked up the Pedestrian By-Law and it states: Except for the purpose of crossing a roadway, where there is a sidewalk that is reasonably passable on one side or on both sides of a roadway, no person shall walk on the roadway.
Except where traffic control signals are in operation or where traffic is being controlled by a constable, no pedestrian shall cross a highway without yielding the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway, but nothing in this section shall relieve the driver of a vehicle from the obligation of taking all due care to avoid a collision.

I really hate cops that feel that something "minor" like that is not worth the time and effort to fill out the paperwork and would rather threaten someone that doesn't know any better to scare them into not proceding with a report.

mona_b
January 16th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Let me start off by saying I'm sorry to hear that your GF got hit by the mirror.

Now for this part:

Except for the purpose of crossing a roadway, where there is a sidewalk that is reasonably passable on one side or on both sides of a roadway, no person shall walk on the roadway.

Your GF was not crossing the road,she was walking along the edge of the road.

Because it is more dangerous to walk on the sidewalk; slip, fall, maybe even into traffic; she walks on the edge of the road.

You just stated that she could slip and fall,maybe into traffic,yet it was safer for her to walk on the edge of the road with the traffic???...She is VERY lucky it was just the mirror and not the van that hit her or both of them.

I really hate cops that feel that something "minor" like that is not worth the time and effort to fill out the paperwork and would rather threaten someone that doesn't know any better to scare them into not proceding with a report.

This is sooooo not true....And this was NOT a threat..This cop saved your GF from getting charged...And save you $$$$ for a lawyer and court dates.

Next time tell your GF to walk on the other side.OR if she needs to walk on the edge of the road,tell her to walk facing the cars.This way when one comes,she can step up onto the sidewalk.....:)

Prin
January 16th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Uh... Hard to follow Mona's post..(there's no "shaking in my booties" emoticon...)

She should buy those shoe covers they make for mailmen with nails in them if her walk is that treacherous.

I agree with facing the traffic though. With all the cell phones, coffees and senior drivers, pedestrians can't be too careful.

Mona- I think the catch in the quote was the part in bold:
Except for the purpose of crossing a roadway, where there is a sidewalk that is reasonably passable on one side or on both sides of a roadway, no person shall walk on the roadway.
In this case, the sidewalk was not reasonably passable.

gdamadg
January 17th, 2006, 12:53 PM
"Mona- I think the catch in the quote was the part in bold:"

That's it exactly and both sides are glare ice. It's like that everyone in that section doesn't pay taxes or something.

"Your GF was not crossing the road,she was walking along the edge of the road."

The road there is 4 lanes and if the guy was able to stop on the road, it obviously wasn't busy.

"but nothing in this section shall relieve the driver of a vehicle from the obligation of taking all due care to avoid a collision. "

That's it exactly! I don't know about you, but when there is a choice, hitting a pedestrian with a car is a bad thing.

Schwinn
January 18th, 2006, 12:47 PM
The other thing is that "reasonably passable" is going to be subjective. Where one person might determine it only has to be shovelled, another might decide it needs to be shovelled, salted and sanded. I don't know what the legal definition would be, and I'm certainly not defending the city (I've missed a few days in the gym because I've slipped on poorly maintained sidewalks), but as far as the cop goes, I have to agree with Mona. He wasn't trying to be a jerk, just let her know it might turn into more hassle than it's worth...for her. (mind you, this is from the perspective of a cop and a wanna-be!)

The rest I'm pretty much in agreement with you, that the city should be doing something, and it sucks that this happened to your GF.

gdamadg
January 18th, 2006, 01:03 PM
"He wasn't trying to be a jerk, just let her know it might turn into more hassle than it's worth...for her."

I thought about that too, but I have a few friends that are cops on different forces at different levels of government. It took an hour for him to get there to take her statement, meaning he is busy doing "other stuff", ie. taking other peoples statements, traffic stops, and so on. Something "minor" or a "potential hassle" was not to her, it was to him. That is a lot of time out of his day to take a statement, gather information (ie. take pictures, medical report, or seek potential witnesses) and then go back to write up the report. If she thought it was minor, she wouldn't have called them.

There is more to the description of the driver, that with my experiences and knowledge from my job explains his reaction and not avoiding the incident in the first place. But if I gave it would be sterotyping and that is not politically correct and potentially offencive to others.