Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How to get a dog to "drop" something that is just too tasty?!

Amiga Girl
January 15th, 2006, 06:09 PM
My dog is trained and knows the "drop it" command..... she always complies EXCEPT when she gets ahold of something outside that is just too tempting and tasty! I've opened her mouth before and actually pulled out what she has such as bones, moldy pizza, etc., however, I will not reach in when she has a nicely frozen piece of poop, or worse yet, a dead bird!
Any ideas what I can do to help with this?

t.pettet
January 15th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Have found that saying the magic word "cookie" will make my dogs drop such delicacies as frozen poop, dead somethings or others. Always have a few favourite cookies in my pocket for just such emergencies and a baggie to dispose of the disgusting things them happen to find.

Amiga Girl
January 15th, 2006, 07:20 PM
I'm never without baggies but I guess I will try to remember to bring along a few treats in my pockets to bargain with! hehe
Thanks for the suggestion....

Prin
January 15th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Sorry, but the key to this is to consistently go throat hunting. With Boo, we went in every time, EVERY time, and now he always drops stuff (there are always consequences). If you don't want to reach in, just open and shake...

catsnatcher-CDN
January 15th, 2006, 09:19 PM
I can tell when Max has put something in his mouth he wasn't suppose to... he looks at me from the corner of his eyes...
Once, at the park, I caught him looking at me like that. When he wouldn't drop whatever it was, I had shoved my arm down his throat until halfway to my elbow and I'm very glad I did because I pulled out a used SOS PAD!

StaceyB
January 16th, 2006, 04:40 AM
You have practiced give with the lower end objects but now you have to practice with the higher end ones. You need to teach him to drop the item from his mouth not just let you take it.

Amiga Girl
January 16th, 2006, 06:41 AM
Thanks for the input.
I don't just dig in without a command first, and there is a consequence if she doesn't obey. As she must wear a muzzle now when out, this is going to only really be a problem when we are out in the back, where other dogs poop but the owners don't scoop and were there is a problem with litter. I guess I'll just have to suck it up and retrieve whatever the object is if she doesn't obey..... maybe I'll invest in some rubber gloves! :o

tenderfoot
January 16th, 2006, 09:53 AM
If what you are doing isn't working then go back a few steps in your training. Teaching 'drop it' and 'take it' is one of the very first things we teach. It is a matter of respect when it comes to dropping things to you on command. He needs to learn that all things belong to you - even if he found them first.
First, put your dog on the leash (for control) then get a stick or stiff toy at least 6 inches long - not a soft toy she can get a grip on or food she can break off and swallow. Start with an object that doesn't have high value to her and work towards an object that does have high value. Food will probably be the toughest challenge as it is easy for her to just swallow it and win.
Offer it to your dog and say 'take it' in a happy tone. let her chew on it for 15 seconds - do not let go of the item. Say 'drop it' short, sharp and firm in tone. Almost startle her with the command as you point quickly at the item and her nose. The startle alone should impress her. If she lets go then praise her and gently stroke her face and head. If she does not let go - ask again and vibrate the item in her mouth moving towards the back of her mouth. This should be strong enough to make her want to let go, but not so strong to hurt her. When she releases be very pleased and praise & pet.
Repeat this - holding the item and sharing it with your dog for longer times each round. As she gives willingly then allow the item to be hers for just a few seconds, keeping your hand close by and then move your hand in and ask her to 'drop it'. Again increasing times until it can be hers for five minutes and she still drops it nicely to you. Working her in her normal obedience commands just before you do this can help. It places her a submissive role and makes her more agreeable over all and ready to be more cooperative.
Practice a lot when you are just hanging around the house - get her to drop dozens of things throughout the day, don't wait to teach it when you need it.
This is about respecting your word. It is not negotiable - what if it were a baby bird? or something toxic?