Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help, 5 yr old Corgi still goes potty inside

tlsnyder
January 14th, 2006, 09:26 PM
I have a 5 yr old Pembroke Welsh Corgi. I rescued her when she was 8 months old. I started crate traing since that was what she was already accustomed to. She did not care, she went potty right in the crate. Now I have her in the kitchen, away from all the new carpet. I take her outside to go at least 6 times a day, sometimes more, but she still has at least 3 accidents a week. What makes this seem really bad is that I have a 6 month old puppy who has not had an accident in over a month. We let the puppy come in the family room, but I feel bad that the Corgi has to stay in the kitchen because she cannot be trusted.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 14th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Welcome I love Corgis, sorry to ask the obvious but have you taken her to the vet to see if its medical.

I would maybe keep her on a leash or watch really closely so you can catch her in the act, then take her outside and give her lots of praise.

or does she go in the house at around the same time, can you take her out around that time and wait for her to go.

Oh and by the way your not the only one with adult dog potty problem, my dog likes to pee when hes not at home like in a pet store or someones elses house. :D

tenderfoot
January 16th, 2006, 11:04 AM
How often do you feed? Free feeding causes a dog to have to potty more often and isn't what is best over all. Feed 1-2 meals a day and then she will have less need to potty and have a better chance at being successful.
Keeping her in the kitchen manages the problem but does not teach. She is not house trained so you need to treat her like a puppy and teach right and wrong. She needs to learn that mistakes in the house make her parents upset and going to the door and asking to go out makes her parents happy.
Having her on the leash with a responsible adult can help a lot. It reminds you to watch her for signs that she has to go, it gives you a chance to catch her if she starts to make a mistake and it helps her to try to hold it until you can take her out. Always use the same door that you will see her go to when she asks. Teach her to ring a bell hanging from the door to signal you. When you catch her in a mistake - startle her with a sharp 'no' or a clap of your hands or a foot stomp - something to get her attention and makek her stop, and then take her out the door and be happy 'lets go out' and go out with her so that you can praise her for making a good choice.

Rottielover
January 16th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Have you brought her to the vet to have her tested for a UTI. That is the first thing I would do. Is it only pee. If so, when she was spayed, she could have incontience problems. If that is the case. Buy diapers, it is not her fault. If those have been checked, and all is well. It is mental

SnowDancer
January 16th, 2006, 12:19 PM
I agree with RottiLover, please take your pup to the vet. Certainly a UTI is possible, but Corgis also develop bladder stones - could still be at crystal stage - but possibly has both. X-Ray would be required. Then of course some short legged pups do not like to go outside - this I know from experience - particularly when it is cold.