Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

On my way to work today.....

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 14th, 2006, 07:00 PM
On my way to work I pick up the woman that I car pool with. She is constantly complaining of the tenants that live up stairs, apparently they are up all night, throw garbage out the window,steal her mail and have people coming and going all night. Anyways she has called the police on them several times and I guess they have done nothing about it.

So I stop there this morning at 5:45 like I do every morning, before I know it a police car is behind me sirens and everything. I can hear them talking on their radio and doing a check on my van. Finally the police women comes up to my car. I'm said did I do something wrong. The police women says I just find it strange your parked in front of a crackhouse at 6 am. So I explain that I am going to work and picking up my friend I show her my work badge and she goes to check out my drivers liscence. Meanwhile there is about 8 cars in the driveway and a man is there too getting into his truck. For some reason she doesnt check him out or go to the door.

I understand why she would be suspicous of me being parked there but why wouldnt she check out the other guy or the tenants. I dont really understand that. Especially if they know its a crackhouse then why would they let it continue. Do they need to catch them actually dealing drugs. :evil:

Prin
January 14th, 2006, 11:36 PM
They probably already know the other guy.

And ya, they take a long time before acting on anybody. We had a bar across the street that always had the blinds shut and you had to be buzzed in, and the cops knew it was a dealer and did nothing about it. I was told by a cop that that place had been raided at least 2 times, but they are powerless to shut it down.

Nice society we live in.:rolleyes:

papillonmama
January 15th, 2006, 09:52 AM
I had the exact same problem with the neighbors who lived downstairs from me in the summer, the police were there many times, there was constant fighting, people in and out alll the time. The police were powerless. There was only one time where the tenants were taken into custody for threatening our other neighbor, she was out a few days later, she couldn't come back, but her boyfriend did. I was really disappointed in our justice system.
We had to hound our landlord to take them to the housing tribunal to get them evicted.
Is your friend a tenant or the landlord? I suggest she look into landlord tenant acts, she should look for anything that she can complain about and tell her landlord that if they don't leave, she will. It's easier to get rid of them through legal action than the police, because it's a private residence, they really can't do much unless there is a valid complaint.

twodogsandacat
January 15th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Hey at least they are doing something. It's almost like a message. “We know it's a crack house and we are taking note of those cars visiting”. Hopefully they are drying up this guys business and he will either move or do something stupid that they can get him on.

It's better than doing nothing, which in some neighbourhoods is most likely the case.

melanie
January 15th, 2006, 02:44 PM
id be upset if i were you, just because your stopped in the street does not mean your a druggy/junkie and for the cops to imply that you were there for drugs is jsut rude. i would have told her to give me a reason for the id check, sitting in your car doing nothing is not a valid excuse, you wernt even in that drive way or on thier property, i dont know about your laws but thats not on in this country.

um and how dumb are the police, i have never met a junkie that gets up before dawn, stupid police. gee you must have effecient junkies over there.

it seems unfair, i can legally and have the right to, sit in my car anywhere i darn well please as long as i am parked legally. are you in america ???

god how rude, its a shame their like that.... doesnt fill you with confidence when they let drug houses run free and ppl are stopped and checked going to work how stupid. oh i would be mad if i were you for sure....:mad:

glasslass
January 15th, 2006, 06:08 PM
I don't know about anywhere else, but in California property can be seized if a property owner knows it's being used as a crackhouse, drug lab, or whatever, and doesn't take steps to notify authorities and evict the tenant.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 15th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Mel= id be upset if i were you, just because your stopped in the street does not mean your a druggy/junkie and for the cops to imply that you were there for drugs is jsut rude. i would have told her to give me a reason for the id check, sitting in your car doing nothing is not a valid excuse, you wernt even in that drive way or on thier property, i dont know about your laws but thats not on in this country.

I wasnt really mad at them questioning me, I do realise its there job, but after getting questioned and having her do a check on me, I thought she should have least apologised for getting the wrong person.