Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat rolling in litter box

aude_sapere
January 14th, 2006, 06:03 PM
I just caught Alexandra (about 8 months old) rolling around on her back in the litter box. Yikes! I have not noticed this behaviour before. I'm pretty sure Solomon (about 5 years) doesn't do it.

Any suggestions?

a_s

vfrohloff
January 15th, 2006, 01:20 AM
Does she roll in a dirty box or a clean box? I have a cat who sleeps in a litter box, but it is one that none of the cats use to pee or poop in. It has litter in in, but I guess because Benson has decided to sleep in it, the others just don't go near it. Does anyone else have experience with this? I would love to know why cats do this!

Lucky Rescue
January 15th, 2006, 09:31 AM
I know cats like to roll in the dust outside, so this could be similiar. I've never seen a cat roll in a litterbox before!

aude_sapere
January 15th, 2006, 01:42 PM
There was no poop in the litter box and it was dry. I think it is probably similar to rolling in the dust outside. It propably felt good. However, I will discourage her from rolling in it. :)

Sussch
January 23rd, 2006, 01:02 PM
Our 4 month old cat likes to occasionally roll and play in his box -- yours is still fairly young perhaps it's just a kitten-like attribute that it hasn't gotten out of it's system yet. Ours will sometimes take a flying leap into his!

stefany
May 29th, 2010, 11:03 AM
my kailie (2 months old) rolls around in her litter if i've just cleaned and changed it. i'm pretty confident she is rubbing her smell on the new litter to let me know that that is hers, even if i did have the audacity to put a new smell in there.

catlover2
May 29th, 2010, 11:19 AM
I've got a couple of litter box rollers too, and one of them is white! :frustrated: They never do it in a box that has been used, but always want to do it when I replace all the litter. Tho I notice they only do it with the clumping clay litter and not the Swheat Scoop I used for a while. Why do they it? Don't really know, just like the feel of it? But they seem to get a lot of pleasure out of it. If they're lying in the box after rolling, they don't even like to get out of it when I ask them and usually have to lift them out, and and after I brush off the dust from their coat with my hands they'll usually have a crazy run-around. :laughing: I really think it's just scratching their backs; dogs and horses like to do the same thing. Who doesn't like having their back scratched? :thumbs up