Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

do you have a favorite quote?

technodoll
January 14th, 2006, 12:06 AM
always looking for words of wisdom... one of my favorites i got from my dad when i was going through my divorce some years ago....

"if you want to make God laugh... tell him about your plans" :D

joeysmama
January 14th, 2006, 12:08 AM
I love the quote from French author Albert Camus:

"Live to the point of tears."

Shamrock
January 14th, 2006, 12:23 AM
Technodoll..- great thread! I love inspiring and/or humourous quotes, and reading favourite quotes of others.
I have lots I like. Two of my favourites -

"No one can help everyone, but everyone can help someone."

And, as I tend to say too much at times:
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt".

catsnatcher-CDN
January 14th, 2006, 07:29 AM
No matter how much the cats fight, there always seem to be plenty of kittens.

-Abraham Lincoln

If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.

-Phil Pastoret

:)

jesse's mommy
January 14th, 2006, 08:47 AM
No matter how bad you think you have it, somebody has it worse.

technodoll
January 14th, 2006, 11:20 AM
you guys are SO inspiring! love your quotes! :p

here's another one which has become a life motto:

"when life closes a door, it always opens a window"

Byrd
January 14th, 2006, 12:47 PM
"We know what we are, but know not what we may be." Shakespeare

"What doesn't kill us, better wish it had." from the movie "Everything she wants" (Kick Her She's French)

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." -Roger Caras

"A bird in the hand is safer than one overhead"

"Live your life with arms wide open" Natasha Bedinfield (sp?) from the song Unwritten

"The dividing line between good and evil, life and death, is as quiet as a heartbeat and as thin as a single breath" T.M. Wright (cover of the book Boundries)

"Art lives in constraints and dies in freedom" Da Vinci

"There is no end to sorrow" Van Gogh

"This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosphy. Our own brain, our own heart, is our tample; the philosophy is kindness." The Dalai Lama

"Only two things are infinite, the Universe, and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Einstein

I have so many, I used to collect quotes. I think some of the best places to find them are songs... they really can make you think.

Rick C
January 14th, 2006, 01:37 PM
"Dear Lord, help me to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am."

"Dead men have indeed died in vain if live men are afraid to look upon them" - LIFE Magazine in 1944, responding to viewer complaints of graphic war photo's showing dead and injured Allied soldiers.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Prin
January 14th, 2006, 04:51 PM
It's better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all.. (I don't know whose that is)

If a problem will be completely forgotten in six months, it isn't a problem. (from Oprah :o)

jiorji
January 14th, 2006, 05:16 PM
"if you know exactly what you are going to do, what is the point of doing it?" Picasso.

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. " Dali

:D

jawert1
January 14th, 2006, 09:01 PM
"Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"There will be time, there will be time, to prepare a face to meet the faces that you meet" - T.S. Eliot

"What else is love but understanding and rejoicing in the fact that another person lives, acts, and experiences otherwise than we do…? - Friedrich Nietzche

meb999
January 15th, 2006, 11:03 AM
' I have not failed. I've just found 10 000 ways that don't work!' Edisson

' An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind' Ghandi

cpietra16
January 15th, 2006, 12:34 PM
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem...not sure who said it but I use it:p

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"......I always thought my mom made this saying up..except Her's was...If you can't say something smart...shutup:D

melanie
January 15th, 2006, 02:37 PM
one of my all time favs, it is said by many a farmer in this land - 'i hope your chickens turn into emus and kick your dunny door down':D

- 'goin flat out like a lizard drinkin':D

even better ' goin flat out like a dog chasin a posty':D :D

'runnin around like a blue arsed fly':D

oh and of course

when a person is simple or being dumb its called
'being a few roos short in the top paddock' / or 'being a few beers short of a six pack':angel:

shannonRN
January 15th, 2006, 05:40 PM
I didn't understand much of that melanie...is that english????

"Want in one hand, sh!# in the other---see which one fills up faster." I heard this a lot growing up, whenever I had a case of "I wanna"

glasslass
January 15th, 2006, 06:15 PM
You never know what you can do until you have to undo what you did.

I wish I had your (whatever) and you had a feather up your a__s and then we'd both be tickled!

melanie
January 16th, 2006, 02:27 PM
'I didn't understand much of that melanie...is that english????'

um yeah all english, it shocks me when ppl dont understand aussies, yep we speaka de englands....:D you know they actually use subtitles in other countries when aussies speak, that jsut blows the mind... but then i dont understand you guys much when i listen to you, i need to read it to often get what your jist is i suppose:D

heres a translation for you-

'i hope your chickens turn into emus and kick your dunny door down' - i hope your small birds turn into rather large ones and kick your toilet door in (that is an outside toilet):D

- 'goin flat out like a lizard drinkin' - um - ok going fast like a small reptile taking water:D

even better ' goin flat out like a dog chasin a posty' - going fast like a dog chasing a post person or mail delivery person:D

'runnin around like a blue arsed fly' um - conducting tasks fast, just like a big fat arsed blue fly/insect buzzing around the world

oh and of course

when a person is simple or being dumb its called
'being a few roos short in the top paddock' / or 'being a few beers short of a six pack' - a roo is a kangaroo, a paddock is a large space for farming like a field i suppose, and a beer is a cooling often carbonated beverage made of hops, barley, sugar and stuff that is often sold in a six pack/grouped in an assembly of six held together by cardboard or plastic...

well i hope that cleared it up:D :D

Prin
January 16th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Oooohhh.. Now I get them. I like the posty one. Before I was wondering why a dog would run to a post.. The post won't move...:o

shannonRN
January 16th, 2006, 04:19 PM
LOL, smarty pants....I know what beer is. We use that one here too, but my favorite is "Not the brightest candle on the cake." I found this link of a "few cards short of a full deck" type quotes...there's a lot of them out there.
http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/88q3/13889.html

gdamadg
January 16th, 2006, 04:34 PM
I have a couple, and there is a theme. Might have to do with the part of my job I hate the most, managing a computer help desk.

The theme is Stupidity.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
Unknown

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
Unknown

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
Martin Luther King Jr., Strength to Love, 1963

Bearsmom
January 16th, 2006, 06:08 PM
My father's advice on not dating at the workplace:

"Don't ***** where you eat".

cpietra16
January 16th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Not the sharpest knife in the drawer:p

jawert1
January 16th, 2006, 06:43 PM
My father's advice on not dating at the workplace:

"Don't ***** where you eat".

there's another version of that that I love:

"It is unwise to fish off the company pier"

Rottielover
January 17th, 2006, 07:44 AM
If you love someone set them free, if they do not come back, hunt them down and kill them. LOL

technodoll
January 17th, 2006, 08:18 AM
another version of ""It is unwise to fish off the company pier""

= "don't dip your pen in company ink!" :crazy: