Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Very Sick Puppy

R.J.
October 24th, 2003, 02:07 AM
I found my 9 week old puppy under a bush on Wed. of last week. She had been vomiting and had diarea, she could not walk and could bearly hold her head up. She was fine just a few hours before. I thought she might have parvo. I took her straight to the vet. By the time I got there, her eyes were rolling back in her head. She tested neg. for parvo. The doc. had no idea what was wrong with her. He put her on IV fluids for 2 days. She came home Fri. evening. Started giving her Vitamins. She was a little better. She was able to get up and walk some. Sat. she was even better. Sun. she was getting worse. Mon. she was really bad, she couldn't stand up again. I called the doc. he told us to give her Pedealite and feed her chicken and rice. Tues. I took her back so the doc. could run some blood tests and they saw a bloody puss place on her back right foot between her toes. They cleaned it out and said she was probably bit by a Black Widow. They didn't run the blood tests. I took her home and made sure she got plenty of fluids and she started eating. Wed. another spot came up between her toes on the front left foot. Thurs. aonther spot came on her front right foot then on her back left foot. She has one on every foot now. I dont understand what this could be!!

If ANYONE knows anything about my situation, PLEASE let me know.

Thank You,
Rhonda :confused:

Carina
October 24th, 2003, 07:00 AM
Oh, poor thing! It does sound like she's being bitten - where is she sleeping? If she is being bitten by something, changing her bedding and keeping her in a real clean area will help there...or maybe it's a really bad allergic reaction to something?

Otherwise I'm a big believer in second opinions. A second vet may well think of something the first one missed, I'd take her to a different vet.

R.J.
October 24th, 2003, 03:45 PM
It is not possible that she is being bit by something. She is with someone all of the time. We treat her like a child. She sleeps on the couch or chair or where ever she wants in the house. We only take her out to use the bathroom.

I have noticed that her feet are swelled. I thought they looked big because she had lost so much weight. The only thing at this point that sounds logical is that the infection in setteling in her feet and the only way it can come out is at her toes. I am very confused!!!!!!!

I have an app. to take her back to the vet. I will let you know.

Thank You,

Rhonda :confused:

Carina
October 24th, 2003, 03:52 PM
Then a severe allergic reaction...to something? Cleaning products, vaccinations, some food item...could still be some microscopic critter - mites of some kind...?

How frustrating! I'm just throwing out guesses here.

I'd still consider another vet - ask your current one if s/he can refer you to someone who might have a different angle on this.

You can search this database for ideas:
http://www.vetinfo.com/dogindex.html
Also I believe Merck has a very thorough database for various ailments. I don't have a link, but you could check. Both these places are reputable places to get information.

Jim Button
October 27th, 2003, 01:22 PM
Hi,

Get to another vet! 1, If she/he was bitten by a black widow there is a specific treatment for that and cleaning is the least of it. Calcium gluconate by IV is part of the treatment for humans I would assume it would be the same for dogs.

If the puppy was bitten I would find it unusual that it was on all four feet! Did it get into fire ants? do you have them where you are?

2, The pussy wound say infection to me. Did your vet start any antibiotics?

Lets think some of this through: Puss is made up of mostly several varieties of white cells that have attacked a bacterial invader. In ALL 4 FEET? Possible that it got into some insects that did bite. But Puss means an after the fact infection except in the case of a recluse spider and you dont find them in bunches to get all 4 feet! OK what would we do for a human? Start on immediate antibiotics, tetnus shot, and if we have a puppy that is sick all over, we would give iv fluids and watch for fever. We would also take blood to culture and puss from the wound to culture and screen to determine what antibiotics will be effective.

Get to another vet or ask about these types of actions from your current vet. Also keep up the fluids. That is absolutely critical for him /her. Puppys are not very big and dont have much in the reserve in the fluid department. If dehydration continues you will lose it!

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Jim