Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need help crate training new puppy

Jeanelle
January 13th, 2006, 08:05 PM
We just got our first puppy! She is wonderful. She is learning to potty outside very quickly I take her out every 2-3 hours and reward her with treats. At night she can go up to 3 1/2- 4 hours . However, she HATES
her crate. Now, I did adopt her from a rescue shelter and she was with her
litter mates. She is 11-12 weeks old. She messes her crate (not all the time) Even right after I take her out or if I am gone just an hour she will mess it. She cries and bites and scratches her crate and is very anxious in it.
We are trying treats and kongs in the crate, leaving it in the room with us
with the door open, but she rarely will go in on her own. This is only her
5th day with us. Am I expecting to much to soon? Or not doing something
right? Some people are saying maybe the crate is to big. She is 12lbs.
Her crate is 24l by 20w and about 30 high. Thanks!

downloader
January 13th, 2006, 09:56 PM
the crate size is fine, it takes about a week to crate train a dog. Make the crate the best thing that ever happen to your dog, feed her in the crate only! give her water in the crate only! she will not mess the crate if she threats it like her room. NEVER let her out of the crate if she is barking scratching etc... she will learn that will get her out. Don't give up and don't let in. Good luck

www.bluewhippet.net

catsnatcher-CDN
January 14th, 2006, 07:13 AM
Don't give up! It took a while for my Max to get use to his crate. A LONG WHILE. Now he loves it and has no problem going in and out of the crate on command. He even once went straight into the crate when he heard thunder.

Jeanelle
January 14th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Thanks, I will hang in there! She did great last night. Left her 3 hours before potty break and then 4 hours until morning. No messes in the crate either
time! I will start feeding and watering in her crate to see if that helps.
Thanks for the advice.

Bushfire2000
January 14th, 2006, 10:11 AM
What kind of dog do you have?

Just in case you haven't thought about it. It's not a law to use a crate, I do, but I also know lots of people who don't use a crate at all. While it's very useful to have your dog used to a crate for transportation and safety it's not a rule unless your talking airplanes, etc.

It will take time for your puppy to get used to a crate and as has been said don't let her out if she's crying ( but use some common sense with this, if you think she might be in distress ie. need to go outside don't hesitate)
My dogs get one free cry a night, but there is no playing just a trip outside they quickly learned that crying gets them a trip outside in the dark and no playing.

Feeding and watering her in the crate is a good idea also putting favorite toys in there or giving her a special treat only when she's in her crate might help make it a special place.

If you have to leave her for a long time put a kong or some other food ball in with her.

Also make sure to clean her crate if she messes it but not with a bleach product, that will smell like pee to her.

Good luck.

mona_b
January 14th, 2006, 09:03 PM
What kind of dog do you have?

Just in case you haven't thought about it. It's not a law to use a crate, I do, but I also know lots of people who don't use a crate at all.

Well I am one of those people who has never crated.Call me old fashioned...:)

I blocked off the kitchen.I didn't use a playpen either.I had a gate made from plywood.I had it sized.

The one I do know about crate training is that you shouldn't "force" the puppy to go in.This actually puts a fear in them.

Is there anyway you can have her blocked off in a room?

Maybe the kitchen or even the bathroom?

A co-worker just adopted a pup 2 weeks ago...They have Leo(yup,that's his name..LOL)in the bathroom.They have the door open and the babygate blocking.The bathroom is puppyproofed.:)

Jeanelle
January 16th, 2006, 06:57 AM
Doing much much better in the crate now. She is starting to like it!
We started feeding her in there as well as putting her in the bedroom
with us at night. And I think just time... she is getting used to us and
learning to trust us. She is such an awesome puppy! Yesterday was only
one week that we've had her and the progress she has made is amazing
in that short amount of time! I do have another question though. She is doing so well at night now that she is in the bedroom, I only getting up one time now, we go to bed at 1030-1100 I get up at 230 or 3 and not again
until 700 or so. She is not whining or anything at 230 I just get up and
make her go out should I stop this and wait to see if she wakes me up to
go out or just keep automaticaly taking her out for a while? Thanks

Bushfire2000
January 16th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Does she always pee when you take her out?
I naturally get up in the night, I always have.
And if the dogs wake up and want to go out, I let them.
But if you don't normally get up in the night I think you should judge by your pup. If she always pees when you let her out I'd keep doing it. Especially since she didn't like her crate to start with.

tenderfoot
January 16th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Not everyone is fond of crates or needs them. But I would say the average person benefits from having a crate trained dog. And if every dog in this country were crate trained most of the shelters would be empty (slight exaggeration;) ) because it helps to control so many behavioral problems that quickly send dogs to the shelters - soiling, chewing, destruction, sep. anxiety, etc. However it is not a replacement for good training. It is simply a tool to help you get through the first year or two and then you may never use it again but your dog will still have the skill.
Sounds like things are going more smoothly. I would not leave water in the crate with her - they just tend to knock the bowl over and get everything wet. Also better to leave toys but not food items in the crate while you are gone it will just cause her to need to go potty as she ingests the food.
Bleach is okay to clean with but not ammonia. Urine is ammonia so there is the connection. Also in good weather clean the crate and leave it in the sun - the sun kills lots of bacteria etc.
Play games with the crate too. Take her favorite toy and toss it around the room and let her go get it, then toss it into the crate and let her get it there. Just treat it like another part of the room - no big deal. Don't lock her in there every time.
An hour might be too long right now. Puppies take hard naps during the day but not always for a full hour and the second they wake they have to potty. so learn her limits for now and work around those - as time goes by her limits will get longer and longer.
We have a good article on crate training on our web site - it was published in Animal Wellness mag. last year.