Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy doesn't want to go for walks anymore

Keeawe
January 13th, 2006, 08:27 PM
I've had my 5 month old puppy (Yorkie/Maltese mix) for 2 months. We have been going for short walks (2 blocks) at least 3 - 4 times a day and she loves it. Yesterday we went for a long walk through some trails around my house. She seemed to enjoy it but when I went to take her for our late evening stroll she didn't want to go. I thought she was just a little tired still from the long walk so I just let her out in the backyard to do her business before bedtime.
Today, I went to take her for a walk and she would not come out of the house. I even offered her a favourite treat and she still would not come. So I picked her up and took her out. She turned around and ran up the stairs and sat right by the door and wouldn't budge. I tried again later and still nothing so I picked her up and carried her to the mail, then put her down. Then she ran (while on her leash of course) all the way back home.
Any ideas on what happened? How can I get her to love her walks again?
Thanks

Prin
January 13th, 2006, 08:30 PM
What's the weather like near you? Is anything else different? Did the doggy get scared at all?

Keeawe
January 14th, 2006, 07:15 AM
The weather is great - unseasonably mild - but she also loves the snow so that wouldn't be a problem. Nothing scared her, we didn't encounter anything unusual. It was just through some paved trails instead of the street.
I just can't figure it out.

catsnatcher-CDN
January 14th, 2006, 08:08 AM
Can you leave from a different door and try a different route?
Can it be the length of time you're outside?
Maybe the dog smells something along the path, maybe another dog.

My 4 year old dog was on his regular walk around the park and one day, while sniffing something ont he ground, let out a yelp and pulled all the way back home. It took a few days before we were able to walk the same path without him pulling. Never really figured it out.