Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Muzzle Rash!

babyrocky1
January 13th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Poor Rocky seeems to have developed a rash on his face, from his nose and around his lips, one side of his face were the muzzle would touch, although not rub. He has been wearing this muzzle, (muzzle for the misunderstood, leather) since the begininng and has just gotten the rash this week, I have been putting a bit of polysporin on it and have started to use the plastic cage muzzle, but it has other problems, It is getting better so Im thinking its from a bacteria build up in the leather muzzle, hs this happened to anyone else and how are you cleaning your leather muzzles? What if I were to cleann it with an anti-bactrial soap?

Me and Kayla
January 14th, 2006, 12:37 AM
Poor Rocky seeems to have developed a rash on his face, from his nose and around his lips, one side of his face were the muzzle would touch, although not rub. He has been wearing this muzzle, (muzzle for the misunderstood, leather) since the begininng and has just gotten the rash this week, I have been putting a bit of polysporin on it and have started to use the plastic cage muzzle, but it has other problems, It is getting better so Im thinking its from a bacteria build up in the leather muzzle, hs this happened to anyone else and how are you cleaning your leather muzzles? What if I were to cleann it with an anti-bactrial soap?

I had to switch Kayla to a vinyl muzzle that has no metal in it and is open in the front. I found the metal clips on the leather muzzle were driving her crazy on really cold days, and her drool was freezing. I think it was burning her a little. She would practically rub the skin raw when we got home. She isn't nearly as bothered with the vinyl and I can wash it with soap and water to keep it clean. I also wash her face and mouth when I take it off. Not sure what I'm going to do when it gets hot out because the vinyl one isn't appropriate, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Me and Kayla

Amiga Girl
January 14th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Amiga hasn't had any skin or rash problems with her muzzle yet, although we did have a bit of a scare as she likes to dig her face in snowbanks and the metal muzzle became compacted with snow....therefore leaving her with no open air passage, only a few seconds though. Now have to either poke through the cage repeatedly or take it off her and shake the snow out.... having a muzzle full of snow can't be good for her nose thought I'm sure.....

babyrocky1
January 14th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Rocky has had a alot of snow and mud etc. in his, could that do it? I clean out the snow asap, it doesnt impeed his breathing but the snow is dirty so maybe its something in the snow???

babyrocky1
January 14th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Yes, Kayla and me Ive been using my vynle one for now but its not a good fit and has other problems.

StaceyB
January 14th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Sometimes it happens with very short haired dogs, it should grow back even through the use of it. Sometimes it is because the muzzle got dirty and there is something that the dog is allergic to.
Example: Montana wears a gentle leader because no collars fit him properly because of all the loose skin on his neck. Anyway while at the All about pets trade show he got dust or something under the leader. Probably something from the planes. It caused him to have an allergic reaction where the leader sat on his nose.

mastifflover
January 14th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Try cleaning it with saddle soap should get rid of the dirt and bacteria from normal wear and who would even want to imagine where they stick their noses. Sorry that you even have to deal with a muzzle Bryant should be the one with the muzzle.

BMDLuver
January 14th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Saddle Soap will eventually rott the stitching though and also dries out the leather too much. I would suggest you use Beeswax Leather Cream after you use saddle soap or try this product as well Horseman's one step. So you use the one step first and the beeswax second. I used those products on my competition tack as it's too costly to allow to wear out or rott. They can be found in Toronto at Greenhawk http://www.greenhawk.net

Rottimom
January 14th, 2006, 08:13 PM
:mad: This thread makes me furious all over again for what those SOB's are doing, making your poor babies suffer by forcing muzzles GAWD would they force a child who in their eyes has the "potential" to be aggressive to wear some form of gear that would cause physical discomfort/rash or whatever :mad: I am SO SORRY and so sad for your babies :sad:

I do however take a little bit of comfort in knowing that dogs have the ability to adapt so well to whatever life deals them, and the dogs on this forum have parents/owners who cherish them and treat them like the precious family members that they are.

babyrocky1
January 16th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Thanks f or the advice everyone, I have Rock on anti biotics which are finallly helping, I think. I have also temporarily changed muzzled, I will try the saddle soap and beeswax. Yeah Id llke to see all of the ill efffects thesse dogs are suffering be visiited upon Bryant...these things almost look like boils, they would be better on BRyant!!! Anyways they dont seem to be causing him any pain and are finally starting to go away, but he is also scratching his skin wear his harness touches him, He has never been so sensative before, I wonder if its stress, and his immune system isn' whaat it used to be because of it:sad:

StaceyB
January 16th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Give him a daily vitamin e caplet.

BMDLuver
January 16th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Thanks f or the advice everyone, I have Rock on anti biotics which are finallly helping, I think. I have also temporarily changed muzzled, I will try the saddle soap and beeswax. Yeah Id llke to see all of the ill efffects thesse dogs are suffering be visiited upon Bryant...these things almost look like boils, they would be better on BRyant!!! Anyways they dont seem to be causing him any pain and are finally starting to go away, but he is also scratching his skin wear his harness touches him, He has never been so sensative before, I wonder if its stress, and his immune system isn' whaat it used to be because of it:sad:
As with horses, moisture is produced and the skin reacts where the leather touches. The cleaner the horse tack the less likely it happens so I would think the same would hold true for the leather muzzle. Hope so, your poor guy.