Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New Election Poll!

Prin
January 13th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Just to see if it changes in the last couple of weeks. Vote here, and reply in this thread: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=22162&page=4 This thread is merely a poll.:)

Boubou
January 13th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Don't want to reveal who I'm voting for, but have you guys checked out what the green party has in mind for animals? Pretty cool - and worth reading!
http://www.lp.greenparty.ca/tiki-index.php?page=Animal+Protection&bl

Prin
January 13th, 2006, 11:14 PM
hmmm... I was liking it until I saw this:
The Green Party of Canada is further committed to ending the most egregious forms of animal use as follows:

Genetic manipulation and cloning
University dog labs
A lot of the genetic manipulation involves tissues that do not cause harm to the animal (like the placenta). To the general public, "cloning" means producing an animal from the cells of another one. In biological terms it means inserting DNA pieces into an organism's DNA. 99.9% of these insertions are harmless and are done to understand DNA better, with no intention of ever creating a harmful organism. In the lab right now, we clone E. coli such that it can't survive on a particular sugar, for example (this is super basic genetic cloning). We can determine the function of certain genes by disrupting them one by one. Anyway, my point is terms like "cloning" are specific in the media but encompass a huge area in the science world. We wouldn't know how DNA worked if it wasn't for some cloning methods.

And University Dog Labs is very vague too. UPEI has dogs for their vet students to learn with, but they aren't abused in any way. They are there for them to learn how to care for a dog and usually at the end of the semester most of the students adopt one. But that would still be considered a lab.

There are also very important lung research labs in Montreal that use dogs that cannot otherwise survive. They give them the first shot of the two for euthanasia, remove a bit of living lung tissue while the dog is unconscious and then give the second shot. These dogs are headed for death anyway.

Sure, a TON of labs are horrible, but the greens have to be more specific in their wording so as not to include the very ethical labs. JMO.

Prin
January 13th, 2006, 11:24 PM
This part rocks though:
Position 2: Commercial Breeding Moratorium
More than 350,000 unwanted companion animals are killed each year in Quebec alone. Hundreds of thousands of other animals are euthanized in shelters each year across the country. At the same time, commercial breeders continue to produce vast number of domestic animals for the pet trade.

The Green Party of Canada will restrict breeding of companion animals while surpluses of unwanted companion animals exist in shelters across the country. The Green Party will immediately ban puppy mills and backyard breeders.

Arguments for: By restricting commercial breeding of companion animals, the public will be encouraged to provide homes for animals in shelters. As has been put into practice in some areas of Ontario, pet stores could house shelter animals for sale in the interim.
Arguments against: The commercial pet trade would lobby against this.

Although I don't know how you ban BYBs. Accidents happen to those who don't neuter...

K9Friend
January 14th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Well said Prin on animal research! :thumbs up

catsnatcher-CDN
January 14th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Doesn't it all come down to voting for the best liar?

StaceyB
January 14th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Unfortunately when I was younger I would vote for the one who would lie best about all the money I was going to save. Now that I am older I don't tend to fall for it though I would enjoy those tax cuts. The way I see it is Harper is promising all these different cuts like the one for GST but the question is. Where is all the money going to come from for all the things he has planned if he will cut these taxes. It will have to come from somewhere else and probably at a higher rate. What good is that, don't be fooled by unrealistic promises. Either we will end up in trouble if it does happen or after he wins he then says well we can't do that, how often have you heard that.

Prin
January 14th, 2006, 05:39 PM
It's about voting for the best parent... only they don't keep their promises.

What's up with the poll? Looks like we're headed for a minority of something.

Prin
January 15th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Wouldn't that be a good govt? If the seats were partitioned like the poll? 33% Liberal, 28% NDP, 22% Conservative and 11% Green (no bloc!). Something for everybody (except the hard core quebecois...) The green could use a bit more strength...

Prin
January 21st, 2006, 03:50 PM
Hey?! We're back to where we were in the last parliament!:mad: C'mon people! :D :crazy:

CyberKitten
January 21st, 2006, 04:16 PM
Re: Doesn't it all come down to voting for the best liar?

Oh come on, that is so cynical. I would accept that statement only from someone who has volunteered in a campaign and discovered that person in a terrible lie or have it backed up with very specefic research!

I do not want to promote every politician here - some are pretty bad, lol - but even those who get involved for the ideology which applies to me(which was my case tho I was not an MP, just a campaign manager and party pres), I did come to enjoy the whole campaign process. It can be fun - it is like being in a whole other world. Most of the MP's I have met are basically good people. I have a neighbour who served as a Liberal MP for two sessions and while I did not vote for him - I vote for the party and not the person unless the person is increible - (but I have yet to find a person who would sway me jusy based on who they are; no one person can change every single policy of their party). My neighbour is a great guy and while the ppl who worked for him rec'd severance, he ended up with nothing - and the way so many newspapers write about the pension plan is so bised against MP's! In his case - he was a high school teacher - being an MP screwed up his pension plan (and he was only able to take two years off as per the school board policies). He will end up with less and not more than he would have plus he had to return to work in any position, not the one he left. He did eventually get back in but I see so many MP's give of themselves and then get people who are critical (and I do not know how much you know about the political process so I won't suggest you may not be aware of it,. You could be a disgruntled former MP for all I know, lol).

I always think of Rodriguez (forget his first name) who was a schoool janitor - an NDP MP for two terms, tho not consecutive ones - he belonged to a good union so he got his job back but like the other fellow, he too lost out on some things.

It can be difficult for politicians to readjust to old job when they either do not run again or loose an election. I can see where some might make out like bandits - a guy who owned a small biz confided in me that once elected, his credt rating went up, lol - but he only lasted one term and then had to buy another biz and he went into real estate, politics had not helped him tho I did not really care for him.

I think what bothers me most is that now, in order to run, one must have money to start with - I mean if it is a serious run and let's face it, there are many Green and even NDP candidates in Quebec - (not too many Phil Edmunstons, lol) - who run with no hope of ever winning election. In many cases, the Green party just puts names on the ballot. (You do not need to live in a riding to run in it - another policy I think should be changed but think back to Chretien running in Beausejour and Joe Clark in Kings Hants tho I do like Joe Clark, just wish he would have ran in Yellowhead again, <g>) I know hw won't run for this Cons party - he too much the Red Tory. But I just find it sad that seeking election is restricted in a sense to those who can afford it so that leaves out a large segment of the population which means we do not get a representrative Parliament - except I suppose maybe with the NDP who at least do help their candidates but one still needs lots of money to win!! It's never been a level playing field.

Prin, I voted at the Advance Poll. On the Monday - I wanted to be sure in case there was a storm, lol My parents and many of their friends in Fla sent in their ballots and my mom is anxious to watch the results by computer, lol (One way I can convince her to use it, hehe)