Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Teaching dog not to chase on leash

Poe
January 13th, 2006, 02:52 PM
As I mentioned in a previous post, I'm taking care of a dog for a month and she has some problems with her chase instinct--or maybe it's just her natural social tendency. We're learning to walk on a loose leash (and she's doing such a good job), but when it comes to passing another dog or cat she just wants to run towards it. I let her go towards one dog today and she practically bowled it over--she didn't bite or show aggression, she just didn't seem to realize she was running through the dog more than to the dog. The poor dog was scared, needless to say.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has any tips for getting her to only greet dogs when she's off leash because it's the major problem that we still have. I don't seem to be able to find any info on this, and I'm sure it's a common problem.

She seems to have been worse immediately after going to the dog park. Should I keep her away from dog socialization until she learns how to behave more gently?

Thanks for any advice you may have!

Poe
January 13th, 2006, 05:32 PM
I should add that I've been teaching (more like refreshing) the leave it command for her, but it didn't seem to work. Is it common to use this command when a dog is trying to chase after another dog, or is it better to just stop and wait until they stop pulling? Should I try to pull her in the opposite direction, stay still, or get in front of her?

Thanks.

Beetlecat
January 14th, 2006, 12:32 PM
If she will absoultly not continue to heel past the dog (even with treats and coaching) then have her sit/stay until the other dog passes. If she gets up, set her back down again. She will eventually realize look but don't touch.

If the other owner is okay with letting the dogs meet, then walk your dog towards the other one slowly and under control. It will be best is she is very proficient at stay and heel, so practice everyday and around various distractions.

I do not encourage my dog to meet other dogs on leash, unless the other owner is willing and they are both under good control. Some leashed dogs are aggrssive and their owners do not want another dog running up to them. And many non aggressive dogs can still be unpredicatable and start a fight.

If it is a dog she and you know, then she can be excited and wag her everything, but she can still have good manners and wait for you to decide if she can visit. Otherwise, what if she saw a dog across the street one day and bolted over to see it.

StaceyB
January 14th, 2006, 12:46 PM
She doesn't know the difference between off leash greeting and on leash greeting. Because she plays at the dog parks off leash she thinks that she can do the same on leash. I would set her up in a sit as the other dog approaches and if she behaves the way you want then let her get up to greet. Only let her get close enough to sniff noses but not close enough to jump on the other or get tangled in the leash. This will not be as easy as it sounds, it will take some work and correcting her each time she breaks her sit. She may not be able to greet the first few times.

Poe
January 14th, 2006, 01:26 PM
StaceyB: Oh believe me, I know that won't be as easy as it sounds! That's the approach I tried to take with the dog that she bowled over while I was dragged helplessly along through the slush. :rolleyes:

I think you're right that she is confusing the off leash and on leash greeting. I'm going to try to continue the leash training without taking her to the dog park for a while since it seems to just confuse her and make her act badly. I seem to not even have the option to ask her to sit after she's been playing with other dogs because she yanks all the way to the end of the leash and forgets I'm there, which is not only bad etiquette but dangerous as well! I think this advice would be a lot easier to apply if we were doing leash-training only for a while and went back to off-leash play only if she's good. I reward her after her walks with some playtime in the yard, anyway, which she seems to enjoy more than anything.