Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Best excuses for not going to work

Luvmypit
January 13th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Hey ya'll,
Wednesday I didn't go to work b/c the hubby had taken my Stepdaughter the bus stop with the dog and then went for a 45 minute walk all the while his car is parked in front of mine and I didn't have the key. After running down to the stop only to see the bus had already come and hubby and capone where well away in the distance I decided screw this Im calling in sick.

Other then the obvious reasons for not being at work what reasons have you called in sick for? And what are the best excuses you have ever used?

StaceyB
January 13th, 2006, 11:45 AM
I never called in sick and now I can't but for the same reason. I have too many people that depend on me and to have a day off is just too hard to do.

SarahLynn123
January 13th, 2006, 12:03 PM
This isn't a calling in sick one but when my boyfriend was really mad in an old job he told them he was quitting because he wanted to be a professional WWF wrestler (at the time it was WWF) This was his very first job after graduating college, he said the guys expression was priceless!

StaceyB
January 13th, 2006, 12:12 PM
I imagine the boss is still talking about it and saying that stupid a**.

SarahLynn123
January 13th, 2006, 12:28 PM
I imagine the boss is still talking about it and saying that stupid a**.

He probably is! He never told the guy he was jumping ship to another company. He's waiting for the day that he runs into him again. It's a small field where everyone knows everyone, so Im sure it will happen eventually!

Rick C
January 13th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Two colleagues had an assistant who seemed to call in sick with peculiar and suspicious regularity, generally timed for a Monday.

So one day, they get a call she's sick and at lunch they go over to her house with hot gourmet soup, you know, to see if she's lying or not . . . . . she wasn't. Sicker than a dog. Gave her the soup and left.

Red faces.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Prin
January 13th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Oh, I have so many.:D

My dog has explosive diarrhea...
My car won't start (to which my boss said, "your car is newer than mine!" :o )
I have explosive diarrhea...
My boyfriend has... you get the idea..:D
I'b sick as helb. By dose is all stuffet ub.:D
I have a dentist appointment so I'll only be in after lunch.
Turns out I have to have a root canal, so I won't be in afterall..

Oh and when I was on the phone, I just needed one whiff of cigarettes to lose my voice and that got me a day off...

If you sense some doubt in their voice, just give extreme detail of the pain/mucus/cramping/etc...:D

jiorji
January 13th, 2006, 12:42 PM
you know what?? I've never called in sick. I used to get other people to call for me.
yes I have a big mouth and i tell it like it is, but when it comes to telling a boss that I won't make it to work that day I'm a big wuss. Need to work on that.

But I'd always call in "sick" to go hiking with my friend . Or because my car didn't want to start. hehe

jawert1
January 13th, 2006, 01:13 PM
I've called in with a "household emergency" to tend to my horse, who kicked down his stall door and got loose and the vet couldn't stitch him (so i had to - squeamish!)

I've actually had my boss take me home cuz I was too sick to be at work and came in anyway (I recommend 2 shots of nyquil then metrics/call reporting - pretty colors!)

Luvmypit
January 13th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Jawert I have been sent home by the boss too before.... And also brought to get meds and dropped off at home. I have such a guilty concience that I cannot do it often. I take about 5 sick days a year.... and I'd said 2 were lies and 3 I would actually be sick.

WWF ha ha ha...and jiorji I used to get mom to call in sick for me all the time.

Prin
January 13th, 2006, 02:48 PM
I've never had a job that treated me well enough to lose my sick days...:party:

raingirl
January 13th, 2006, 05:52 PM
I only get sick about once every two years (yes...that's it!) so I rarely call in sick. I usually use sick days for appointments (my employer allows me to use a sick day instead of vacation for doc/dentist etc).

shannonRN
January 13th, 2006, 11:31 PM
Well, unfortunately I have inner ear problems and regularly but unexpectedly have devastating bouts of vertigo. Take two meclizine and leave me alone with my barf bucket, thank you very much. So unfortunately I have a count on a few sick days a year because of this and I don't dare 'bang in' when I don't really need to.

Whenever I did blow something off without a really good, legitimate reason though I was wracked with guilt and paranoia and was just terribly uncomfortable with myself. I know that sounds very uptight, I'm not otherwise, but I just never was good at playing hooky.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 14th, 2006, 07:17 AM
Actually I never get sick either

I've been up all night with my kids

I've been up all night with my dog

My mother just showed up on my door step from out of town

My car is locked in the parking garage, because the gate is busted and won't open, and I cant get out. (actually happened :D )

My washing machine broke and I have no clean clothes (actually happened too, but I did still go in)

hmm which one shall I use today!!!:evil:

twodogsandacat
January 14th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Times have changed and we no longer have sick days we have ‘family emergency’ days. Staying home with a sick dog or a sick child is acceptable under these new rules.

Iggette
January 16th, 2006, 05:06 AM
Same here twodogsandacat, my company calls them EL days (Emergency Leave) You may not call in and say the car doesn't work ! or tell them in advance you have a dentist check up ! The only thing that is allowed is "I'm sick today" ! period We have 9 EL days to use per year after that you need a Dr.s note or you will get a warning then a written warning then a suspention for a day then 3 days then your out the door So far this year I have used only one day to drive a friend around to their Dr. appt's.

jesse's mommy
January 16th, 2006, 05:08 AM
Here's an excuse:

I'm addicted to pets.ca and can't leave my computer!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 16th, 2006, 07:07 AM
Igette Same here twodogsandacat, my company calls them EL days (Emergency Leave) You may not call in and say the car doesn't work ! or tell them in advance you have a dentist check up ! The only thing that is allowed is "I'm sick today" ! period We have 9 EL days to use per year after that you need a Dr.s note or you will get a warning then a written warning then a suspention for a day then 3 days then your out the door So far this year I have used only one day to drive a friend around to their Dr. appt's.

Heaven forbid that life should stop us from going to work. We are now made to sign a sheet saying we will be in on weekends or we get written up, and have our pay checks held. We arent allowed to take time of for dentist appointments either, and things like that. If I need a day off I ask my sup in advance and we arrange for me to call in sick. What really annoys me about this is the employment want add for my work "states flexible schedule great place to work if you have a family" ya right.

Bushfire2000
January 16th, 2006, 11:02 AM
One of my jobs is in a very small office for an auction company.
I don't work regular days so when I work I go in wether I'm coughing up a lung or not.
I once went to work in a blizzard, traveled half an hour to get a ride for the other hour to a small town for a sale. When we finally got there I spent ten minutes in the bathroom coughing so hard the other ladies thought I was puking.
One of my friends and I (she works for the same company) plan to phone in sick but never do. We fantasize how inconvenient it would be to the company for us to take the day off and imagine the Kaos when untrained people have to take over from us. And how much we will be missed if we do take the day off. All dreams if we take the day off we lose the pay so we soldier on.

joeysmama
January 16th, 2006, 11:20 AM
I'm really fortunate as I have a part time job that I work from home. I'm a coach on another website. Not pet related, it's a nutrition/healthy lifestyles site. (I don't think we're allowed to post actual names right--as that might look like advetising?) But anyway, I moderate classes, and coach on the message boards. So it's very very flexible and I literally go to work in my jammies.

But I recently had some menus to type up and they had a due date but my mother was ill and it was the holidays and I wasn't sure I could get them done in time. They were so wonderful about it. I told them I was running a day behind and immediately got the response that I shouldn't worry, they would cover for me.

I really wish I had the opportunity to work more hours as it's a really fun job--doesn't feel at all like work. So I have no need for excuses not to go to work. I just want to log more hours as I could use the money.

Alright though, since we're talking excuses I'll say this. Since it's a nutrition/healthy lifestyles site do you think it would b funny if I told them I couldn't coach that day because I ate too much ?? ;)

TobsterMom
January 16th, 2006, 02:21 PM
But could you get away with saying you had to go to your mother's dog's funeral or that you had brain cancer? Would you believe an employee who had the swine flu, forgot the way to work, or was arrested because of mistaken identity? Think carefully, if you're debating calling in sick, here are some of the most unusual excuses workers gave for missing work.

I was sprayed by a skunk.

I tripped over my dog and was knocked unconscious.

My bus broke down and was held up by robbers.

I was arrested as a result of mistaken identity.

I forgot to come back to work after lunch.

I couldn't find my shoes.

I hurt myself bowling.

I was spit on by a venomous snake.

I totaled my wife's jeep in a collision with a cow.

A hitman was looking for me.

My curlers burned my hair and I had to go to the hairdresser.

I eloped.

My brain went to sleep and I couldn't wake it up.

My cat unplugged my alarm clock.

I had to be there for my husband's grand jury trial.

I had to ship my grandmother's bones to India.

I forgot what day of the week it was.

Someone slipped drugs in my drink last night.

A tree fell on my car.

My monkey died.

Full article
http://msn.careerbuilder.com/custom/msn/careeradvice/viewarticle.aspx?articleid=458&SiteId=cbmsnsl4458&sc_extcmp=JS_458_spotlight1&cbRecursionCnt=1&cbsid=6c815ab9d69d4e1988a4103d271db7e2-190739730-tp-1

joeysmama
January 16th, 2006, 02:58 PM
When I was teaching I had one little boy who missed the first day of school because his parents put the wrong start date on their calendar. He showed up on the second day and was very surprised that it wasn't the first day of school.

SarahLynn123
January 20th, 2006, 02:55 PM
This, again, is not a calling in sick one but why I was late. True story too! It was my 3d day of work, first "real" job straight out of college. I was sleeping and my sister came into my room and asked me if I needed my alarm clock and if not could she use it. I told her to take it, I didn't need it because I was going to play lacross late the next morning:eek: I have never played Lacross in my life!!!! I have a problem with talking and sometimes walking in my sleep!!!

I didn't tell them this story though, didn't think they would believe it. Just told them I forgot to set me alarm clock or something. They are very understanding and flexable here.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 20th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Joeys mama =

When I was teaching I had one little boy who missed the first day of school because his parents put the wrong start date on their calendar. He showed up on the second day and was very surprised that it wasn't the first day of school.

LOL. thats something I would do.

I actually missed an opportunity to have a day off today. The highway was pretty bad as it had snowed all night. The women that I drive with sister started out before the highway was plowed and had to turn around. Smart me I waited until they were plowed and made it there no problem. I was hoping maybe the road would be closed and I would have to turn around. But no such luck.

So next time there is a snow storm and you have to drive to work make sure you leave before the snow plow.