Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How to start?

erykah1310
January 13th, 2006, 02:00 AM
I have been taking in rabbits whos owners are "moving" for approx 3 years now, and finding them new loving homes with a no questions asked return policy. I am happy to report that i still hear from the people who have adopted them from me and am yet to have one returned!:thumbs up However I would like to expand to cats and large dogs! I have a 160 acre farm with fenced in fields and feel I can take in a few dogs as well as my rabbits. People have been dropping me off puppies and kittens every spring like clock work (with out asking) I would like to be able to spay and neuter before rehoming them. I have lost faith in vets(sorry to say, you can read one of my other posts from today to read the story) I do however still bring my pets in annually for check ups and vaccinations. Spay and Neuter is expensive. worth it but none the less costly. Any suggestions on how I can start up a good small rescue including spay/neuter? My only thought so far is having an addoption fee of $100 at which time i would hand over a coupon for spay/neuter in the same value, basicly the adoption fee would be a small pre paid amt of the surgery! how does that sound?? There is no problem finacially to front the cost for the first few! Thanks

erykah1310
January 13th, 2006, 02:07 AM
Here I am the first person to reply to my own post!LOL I have just read the thread on "no slander" and I realize now that indeed my first brainstorm isnt a good one! Still would like to get some help here however! I do realize that adopting intact wont help anyone out (pets or people). Need some new suggestions! thanks

Lucky Rescue
January 13th, 2006, 09:56 AM
What you're doing now IS rescuing these animals!:)

You must charge an adoption fee for all animals. At least 100$ for cats and 200$ for big dogs, otherwise you will not be able to continue this. Also, paying the fee is an indication that the person wants the animal and anyone who will NOT pay the fee should not get the pet. If they refuse to pay such a small amount, what happens if the animal gets sick and needs surgery?

They must ALL be spayed/neutered before you adopt them out. Coupons are fine, but you just can't trust everyone to do it in a timely manner and the last thing you want is an animal you rescued reproducing.

You need to find a vet who will work with you helping stray and abandoned animals. Since you will be a steady customer, you may find a vet who will forego the exam fee and give you services (vaccinations/spay/neuter) near cost.

You also must have an adoption contract, spelling out the obligations of both you and the adopter. Do a home visit first to make sure the person really lives where they say they do.

Don't take on too much!

White Wolf
January 13th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Here I am the first person to reply to my own post!LOL I have just read the thread on "no slander" and I realize now that indeed my first brainstorm isnt a good one! There doesn't seem to be any slander in this thread so far. As long as you are vague in who you are criticizing and you don't mention names or specific places, you are ok.

maddoxies
January 13th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Whereabouts in Northern Ontario are you? I have rescue contacts all over and perhaps can put you in contact with someone who has a "rescue friendly" vet, etc. There is a rescue network that will help you with home visits in other cities and with transporting pets to their new homes.

Lucky, myself and others will be glad to send you sample adoption and surrender contracts. Try to get a surrender contract signed too. We have had people call the police months later accusing the new family or rescue of stealing their dog (before we had surrender contracts).

Research establishing a rescue and charitable status. Then you can give receipts for donations (sometimes vets will take 50% cash and 50% dontation receipts).

erykah1310
January 25th, 2006, 11:23 PM
I live near Sudbury Ontario, I am currently fostering some rabbits for a local rescue organization. I have contacted a few vets with little or no luck, going to try to get some contacts through the rescue that I have the rabbits through. I mostly want to focus on cats, for some reason people "drop " them off at my house as it is and now being winter i cant imagine turning one away! Luckily for me the dogs and puppies only seem to come in late spring early summer, I would appreciate some ideas on adoption/surrender forms thank you!

chico2
January 26th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Eryka,no ideas,just a thank's for helping dumped kittys:thumbs up

Lucky Rescue
January 26th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Eryka, I can send you adoption/surrender forms.

Email me at laurent376@hotmail.com