Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

WARNING...THIS IS A RANT..ABOUT BackYard Breeders!

Jazz&Cricket
January 12th, 2006, 01:50 PM
OKAY, I'M FED UP TO THE HILT. I can't stand it any more! There is a person :evil: :evil: in the community who is CONTINUALLY advertising for sale "yorkie-poos,' pom/poodles, etc. etc. FOR $600!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND THE PROBLEM IS...THE STUPID PEOPLE :mad: WHO WILL CONTINUE TO PAY THIS PRICE AND CONTINUE TO KEEP THIS PERSON IN BUSINESS!!!!!!!!!!!!
There has to be some way to shut this person down...anyone??? Ideas, suggestions,??? Is this a puppy mill? Can I get the OSPCA to investigate?? HELP!!!

BMDLuver
January 12th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Have you visited the place? If it is clean, the animals cared for, given food, water and shelter, then there is not much you can do about it. People are free to breed whatever designer breed the public cries out for and it's a supply/demand situation unfortunately for the dogs.

mona_b
January 13th, 2006, 12:32 AM
I would definately go have a look at the place.If they are advertising,then just pretend you are interested in a puppy......;)

Then while you are there,check out the place...Ask a ton of questions.Heck,ask a ton of stupid questions...Questions that you would already know the answers to.........:D

Luvmypit
January 13th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Wherever they advertise, advertise too.

Tips on finding a reputable breeder
1. NEVER buy a dog through a newspaper add (and then continue on)

That I think would be the most affective if someone can look at the ad then read your ad I am sure 1/2 of the people considering it wouldn't bother. That is if your willing to pay unless its free. Even if its not on teh same page at least others will read it and learn whether they are even considering a dog or not.

t.pettet
January 13th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Please keep ranting/raving, saves me from doing it. I feel exactly the same way so heres what I do to give these backyard bimbos a hard time and to let them know their breeding activities are being monitored. Go see the pups with no forewarning, tell SPCA of your findings however minor (dirty facilities, puppies look like they have worms, bitches are very thin, matted, lethargic, etc.), suggest to the agent that they're breeding the females in every heat, you doubt they have a kennel licence and should considering the amount of dogs on their property and anything else to alert the authorities. The SPCA can't prohibit back-yard breeders as much as they'd love to but they can order the owners to show proof of vet checks, worming meds, vaccinations, regulate size of pens where dogs are kept, cleanliness etc. etc. Once these people know they are "on record" and the agent can make an inspection at any time they tend to get out of the business - usually aren't making the profits they used to due to now having to take their dogs to the vets and not being able to churn out as many litters a year as previously. This method has worked for me on quite a few occasions. Good Luck and keep us posted.

babyrocky1
January 13th, 2006, 08:58 PM
I would definately go have a look at the place.If they are advertising,then just pretend you are interested in a puppy......;)

Then while you are there,check out the place...Ask a ton of questions.Heck,ask a ton of stupid questions...Questions that you would already know the answers to.........:DYeah and since your going undercover as a Paris Hilton wanna be..make sure to have a blank look on your face and a silly purse that would fit one of those poor accessories, uh I mean pups in.