Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

ANother seperation anxiety question for a6.5month pup

yoda900_ca
January 12th, 2006, 11:35 AM
I have a 6.5 month malamute puppy who has suddenly developed seperation anxiety. Up until before the holdiays my puppy would spend 3-4hrs a day in his outside pen w/no problem My neighbors began telling me about 2weeks ago they could here him howl on and off up an hr at a time while I was gone. I tried putting him in his outside pen when we were at home more often and sure enough after 20min the howl starts and just keeps right on going. My breeder said it's just a phase, to ignor him and if it gets really bad turn a hose on him:eek: . Obviously not hosing him ,esp since it's January. So I'm not sure I trust her ignor him comment. Is this just a puppy phase or should i do something. I concerned because we will be leaving for vaction in march and i don't want him to have a break down at the kennel. Any helpful hints to get him thru this would be much appricated.

Katherine
January 12th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Is your pup still getting lots of time with you once you come home or is he seperated from the family?

yoda900_ca
January 12th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Yes. Someone is home most days and we keep him in the house with us he gets about 11/2 hrsof walk time and a good amount of playtime and cuddle time with family members. even on days home we have always put him outside for at least 2hrs a day. He used to like it because it is cooler outside and he was more comfortable plus he liked to watch things go bye. (in the house he like to look out the window alot or sit by an open storm door) he's never been left alone more than 5-6hrs in a day. If we have to be gone longer than that he comes with us. he's crate trained and sleeps in his crate down in the kitchen all night with no problems. just outside suddenly he doesn't like.

jessi76
January 12th, 2006, 02:05 PM
I have a 6.5 month malamute puppy who has suddenly developed seperation anxiety. Up until before the holdiays my puppy would spend 3-4hrs a day in his outside pen w/no problem My neighbors began telling me about 2weeks ago they could here him howl on and off up an hr at a time while I was gone. I tried putting him in his outside pen when we were at home more often and sure enough after 20min the howl starts and just keeps right on going. My breeder said it's just a phase, to ignor him and if it gets really bad turn a hose on him:eek: . Obviously not hosing him ,esp since it's January. So I'm not sure I trust her ignor him comment.

When your neighbors told you he was howling, was he out in his pen while no one was home? Just a suggestion (take or leave it), but perhaps he'd be better off in the house, (crated or not) while you're not home.

I do realize you said you tried it while you were home too and he still howled... Are you sure it's sep. anx. and not something that just scared him? Does he howl when you leave him in the house? (I'm just offering guesses, I'm no expert) The reason I'm thinking more along the lines of something scared him is you say he developed this rather suddenly - if it were SA would there of been signs of this?

and as for what your breeder told you.... oh my... go turn the hose on her and then ignore her. ;)

yoda900_ca
January 12th, 2006, 02:23 PM
when i've come home after leaving him in his indoor crate i can hear him howling like a banshi the minute i get out of the car. I'd rather keep him in the outside pen when gone for lenghts of time too because it is rather large(14x12) and he has room too roam and a dig pit(malamute LOVE to dig) and yes i keep quite a few toys outside for him too. I can't think of what might have scared him but i know puppies go through different phases in developement so i didn't know if this might just be a normal phase and how to treat it so it doesn't get worse. I should add he is currently not doing any destructive behavior and i know people w/SA dogs have mentioned their animals being destructive or hurting themselves.