Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Leaving dogs alone in the house...

buffytwin
January 12th, 2006, 11:21 AM
We would one day like to leave our dog out of his crate when we're at work during the day to roam the house. He's only 6 months right now, so won't be for a while I know, but I have some questions. I'd love to be able to go to work and not have to put him in the crate all day, I know right now its good for him to be in there for safety reasons and to trian him, but when he's an adult I'd love to be able to just leave him out. He's a very good boy and very smart, learns things very quickly so I think he'd be a good boy outside of his crate. Only thing that concerns me is he would have to go to the bathroom at some point. I know a lot of people leave their dogs out of crates during the day time, how you do you handle the bathroom side of things? I see they have litter pads and stuff for dogs, but (and this might be a stupid question) is that only for tiny dogs? I mean I can't really see a full grown boxer using a litter, but can they? And if so how would you go about training one to do so? I don't know anyone thats ever used them so I really dont know a lot about them. My questions would be do they still know to go outside if your home, or do they always use the litter even if you are home? If leaving him in our house doesn't work, we will section off our basement for him, but would still have the same problem, I wouldn't want him to just go anywhere.?.?

jessi76
January 12th, 2006, 11:32 AM
I see they have litter pads and stuff for dogs, but (and this might be a stupid question) is that only for tiny dogs? I mean I can't really see a full grown boxer using a litter, but can they? And if so how would you go about training one to do so? I don't know anyone thats ever used them so I really dont know a lot about them. My questions would be do they still know to go outside if your home, or do they always use the litter even if you are home? If leaving him in our house doesn't work, we will section off our basement for him, but would still have the same problem, I wouldn't want him to just go anywhere.?.?

oh jeez... don't train your boxer to use pads or a litterbox. He's already housebroken, right? so why would you revert and start teaching him to GO inside the house?!?! IMO, VERY BAD IDEA.

If you want to let him have freedom in the house, start small. leave him out while you run to the store for milk first... work your way up to a few hours. Someone will still need to let him out if he can't hold it for the time you're away.

buffytwin
January 12th, 2006, 12:18 PM
See thats what I thought too, lol.. yes hes very house trained! Thanks!

jessi76
January 12th, 2006, 12:31 PM
PHEW!!!

** sighing a BIG sigh of relief knowing you won't have boxer-poo all over your house, or pee-pad confetti.... :eek: **

TobsterMom
January 12th, 2006, 12:35 PM
I just had a mental picture of a boxer with all four paws in a little litter box.:p

Lucky Rescue
January 12th, 2006, 12:38 PM
To start giving your dog freedom of the house, start small. Confine him to the bathroom and see how he does there. Then you can graduate to the kitchen and eventually keep moving the gates further into the house.

If he makes a mistake,(destroys or pees) take a step back and reduce amount of space. An adult dog can "hold it" all day, but you have someone to come in and take him out, and I would keep doing that as long as possible so you can come home to a happy and relaxed dog.:)

buffytwin
January 12th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Pee Pad Confetti, hahaha, thats hilarious! I have no idea what these things are or look like, I said to my finacee that it can't be like a cat litter box and we laughed picturing our boxer going in one of those, lol.. So there ya go, learn something new everyday. K, we will try baby steps like you said Lucky Rescue, thanks for the advice! We do have a family member coming in everyday to let him out and play for about a half hour to an hour, and she's been doing this for us since we brought him home, I'm just not sure if she'll be doing it forever! And b/c we're in Shelburne which is booneyville there aren't a lot of dog walkers to hire. We don't even have a Tim Hortins, lol. But she loves him dearly and is a huge dog lover so you never know, maybe she will. But good info to know for the future... I would prefer to have him sectioned off in our house then to have him in the crate. He doesn't seem to complain, never makes a sound but still I'd rather him have some more room when he's an adult:)