Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My laugh for the day

Me and Kayla
January 11th, 2006, 08:17 PM
I take Kayla to a local park. It's not an off-leash park, but of course there are about 20 dogs off-leash. As I know many of the dogs and owners there, I take Kayla up to them for a little socializing. As I approach, a woman I've never seen before moves to stand between Kayla and her dog (a huge golden retriever), and says...."Keep that dog away from my dog...she has a 'thing' about Pitbulls...She doesn't like them".

My immediate response was laughter followed with, "How does she know a Pitbull from a Labrador Retriever or a mutt?" I figured maybe she had some kind of psychic dog. Her response was, "She just knows!"

I'm still laughing, but she isn't. She continues to spout off about how her dog has always had this 'thing' about Pitbulls.

Here is the really funny part...while I'm laughing and she's fuming, my dog and her dog are sniffing each other, butting heads, circling, and then walked away from each other, totally uninterested. I look down at the dogs, and said..."hmmmm....I guess your dog's ESP is a little off today". The rest of the owners broke up laughing. She left the park shortly after. I turned to the nearest owner and said, "Does her dog work for the liberal party? I'm sure she'd have a lucrative career if she wanted one!"

Some people just have to get a grip on reality, don't you think?

Me and Kayla

Prin
January 11th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Uh... Boo has a thing about Rotties... :o But he really does because he was attacked by one last summer. But it's a visual thing. From far, he gets very angry when he sees rottie markings, but if the dog isn't dominant at all, he ends up ok. He also hates big fluffy black dogs too. But as far as I know, they can't tell a skull shape or a body shape from another. It's color or contrast patterns.

But that said, this woman was just anal. If her dog had a thing for yours, she would have barely been able to restrain him.

technodoll
January 11th, 2006, 08:29 PM
yes it's true, some dogs can have hangups towards a particular color or size or physical type of dog - often due to a past trauma. I have seen it many times and although hard to believe... it does happen!
:pawprint:

Prin
January 11th, 2006, 08:32 PM
But I don't think it would decipher between a lab and a pitty...

Me and Kayla
January 11th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Uh... Boo has a thing about Rotties... :o But he really does because he was attacked by one last summer. But it's a visual thing. From far, he gets very angry when he sees rottie markings, but if the dog isn't dominant at all, he ends up ok. He also hates big fluffy black dogs too. But as far as I know, they can't tell a skull shape or a body shape from another. It's color or contrast patterns.

Ok...I can see a dog having a 'thing' about black dogs or fluffy dogs, but I don't for the life of me believe a dog can distinguish between 'breeds'. It's all about dominance and submission between dogs, as far as I know. If I could train Kayla to distinguish between breeds and figure out the mixes between them, then I am definitely a shoo-in for getting Kayla certified as a working dog, and could probably hire her out to the Liberal party. Lord knows there isn't anyone on their staff who can honestly tell the difference.

Me and Kayla

babyrocky1
January 11th, 2006, 08:43 PM
I take Kayla to a local park. It's not an off-leash park, but of course there are about 20 dogs off-leash. As I know many of the dogs and owners there, I take Kayla up to them for a little socializing. As I approach, a woman I've never seen before moves to stand between Kayla and her dog (a huge golden retriever), and says...."Keep that dog away from my dog...she has a 'thing' about Pitbulls...She doesn't like them".

My immediate response was laughter followed with, "How does she know a Pitbull from a Labrador Retriever or a mutt?" I figured maybe she had some kind of psychic dog. Her response was, "She just knows!"

I'm still laughing, but she isn't. She continues to spout off about how her dog has always had this 'thing' about Pitbulls.

Here is the really funny part...while I'm laughing and she's fuming, my dog and her dog are sniffing each other, butting heads, circling, and then walked away from each other, totally uninterested. I look down at the dogs, and said..."hmmmm....I guess your dog's ESP is a little off today". The rest of the owners broke up laughing. She left the park shortly after. I turned to the nearest owner and said, "Does her dog work for the liberal party? I'm sure she'd have a lucrative career if she wanted one!"

Some people just have to get a grip on reality, don't you think?

Me and KaylaGood for you Kaylas mom, its hard not to get peed off but its way better to make them look stupid, or should I say point out there stupidity with humour when you can do it! I know what some of you are saying, Rocky doesn't seem to respond well to certain breeds but in this case, im sure it was the person who didn't like pitties...her great loss ofcourse!

cpietra16
January 11th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Uh... Boo has a thing about Rotties... :o .
Hw should meet Harley (rottielovers'). He may look like a rottie but someone forgot to tell him that that's what he is...he's a rottie trapped in a rabbit body.

Prin
January 11th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Uh oh... Boo eats rabbits too!:D

Me and Kayla
January 11th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Good for you Kaylas mom, its hard not to get peed off but its way better to make them look stupid, or should I say point out there stupidity with humour when you can do it! I know what some of you are saying, Rocky doesn't seem to respond well to certain breeds but in this case, im sure it was the person who didn't like pitties...her great loss ofcourse!

Well, this brings up an interesting hypothesis....Can a dog truely tell the difference between breeds, or is it just a case of visual markings or 'doggie sense' about dominance and submission?

Sometimes Rocky's Mom, humour is all you have left. :p ;)

Me and Kayla

Prin
January 11th, 2006, 08:58 PM
From what I have seen, it's purely visual (patterns and colors), but they have a long memory for it.

babyrocky1
January 11th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Rocky seems to have a "thing" for English bull terriers, hes never met one he didnt like, they have all been white and biggish for the breed. He immediately goes into play bow when he meets one, even the males, it could have alot to do with how they carry themselves, and thier shape. Or just a "kinship" with bullies:)

Schwinn
January 12th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Well, this brings up an interesting hypothesis....Can a dog truely tell the difference between breeds

Me and Kayla

I showed Daisy the chart, and she just got all confused.

Dog Dancer
January 26th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Shadow was attacked by a Shep when she was a year old and to this day even if we're driving down the road she will react badly if she see's one. Any other dog she'll take one look and that's it, but not a shep. Mind you , they do have a very specific body type also. But without even being in the same air she can tell what it is and is ready to have go. Not all shep's have the same markings either, so I'm guessing it's shape.

divinecalamity
January 27th, 2006, 01:13 PM
I know that my dog zoe and the previous dog I had named brooklynn both dislike english bulldogs..but I don't think it was a "breed" thing as much as a loud breathing thing...
I porbably would have been right in there laughing with you as it is obvious who has the "issue" with the pitbull...:pawprint:

Rottielover
January 27th, 2006, 01:50 PM
PSST Cpietra, don't let Harley hear you. He wants to still look the part. Then roll over for a good belly rub