Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Questions about litter box training

Deanne
January 11th, 2006, 02:44 PM
HI,
I am new to this site...I hope to make some nice friends on here. I have three dogs...two Shihtzus...named Daisy & Duke...One Siberian Husky named Casper and one ferret named Molly and one Sphynx cat named Lexus. I just got the 8 month old cat from a breeder local and she had her spayed for me. The cat will use the litter pan to pee in but will use my garden tub to poo in. She hasn't been using it a bunch in the tub...usually just one pile. Anyway if anyone knows why she may do this or what I can possibly do to get her to use the litterpan completely! :-) Thanks - Deanne in Ga.

Deanne
January 11th, 2006, 02:53 PM
HI,
I am new to this site...I am hoping someone can give me some good advice on my new Sphynx Cat. I got her from a local breeder and she is 8 months old..the breeder just had her spayed for me. I brought her home and she was pretty skiddish at first of course ..well she has been using her litterpan to pee in but she has been pooing in our garden tub. The breeder of course said she never ever did that at her home even when she kept them sometimes in the bathroom. I am hoping someone can offer me some helpful advice to figure out how to break her from using my tub...and to completely use the litterpan. I do not know a whole lot other than what I have read on the internet about this breed..she is a very affectionate cat I just hope and wish she would use the litterpan completely! HELP in GA>- Deanne.

vfrohloff
January 13th, 2006, 10:11 AM
You need to get a second litter box. Many cats will not pee and poop in the same box. Also, make sure the boxes are out of the reach of the dogs, if your cat gets scared while in the litter box she will find a safer place to go. Good luck!

Lucky Rescue
January 13th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Cats do not need to be litterbox trained - other than by their moms at about 5 weeks of age - and if your cat is not using it there's a reason.

Is the litterbox in a nice quiet place? If you just brought this cat home and let her loose in the house, she is no doubt very stressed. I suggest putting her in a room of her own with her clean litterbox and keep her there until she is calm and relaxed with her new surroundings.

Also, find out what litter the breeder used, and make sure you have the same kind. Be sure to NEVER scold her for using the plant pot. That will only increase her stress.

Put crumpled tinfoil on top of the soil in your plant and that should discourage her from using it. Most cats find using dirt is very appealing.