Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Why does he do that???

meb999
January 10th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Buster has alot of strange little habits. One of the stranger ones is his obsession with heat.

He hates going outside when it's cold, even with his sweater and boots on. But weirder than that he's got quite the love affair with the heaters throughout the house. Whenever he hears a heater click on in the house, he'll run to it and lean on it until it clicks back off. We keep the house fairly warm (I'm not a huge fan of the cold either!! :D ) So I don't know why he loves the heaters so much.

He's also obsessed with our fireplace. He lies so close to it (only when it's lit), that we have to watch him like a hawk because he's singed his fur a few times.

Here's a picture of our fireplace :
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13/meb999/fireplace.jpg

the moment we walk outta the room he'll get up off the floor and lie on the tiles right up against the fireplace!!

I don't want to correct the situation, I'm just curious as to why he does that???

What strange things do your pets do???

Prin
January 10th, 2006, 10:44 PM
What a nice fireplace you have! :)

My old dobie was a heat hound... He used to sit on the furnace vents and get the air up his hiney... He was a sun follower too. Some doggies love it. Jemma hates it. She's a snow mongrel. She will do anything to be where it's coldest.

Weird habits? The weirdest is Jemma rubs on the little half wall between our kitchen and living room. There's a big gross black streak there now with little blue marks from her license... I used to wash it, but within a couple of days it's back again, so I gave up. We've only seen her do it a couple of times, so it looks like she has a ball when we're not home.

TobsterMom
January 10th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Ohhhh man...that's too cute!!

You think that's wierd. My Toby will only eat and drink if his food dish is on the left, water on the right. He'll bark and whine if they are opposite and will NOT eat or drink. I've come home to a full breakfast dish, for a Golden, this is strange....very strange. Once they are in his preferred spot he will eat. They also cannot be touching, he hates the sound they make when they klink and will not eat if they're touching.

Prin
January 10th, 2006, 11:41 PM
LOL OCD doggy?:D :crazy:

TobsterMom
January 10th, 2006, 11:43 PM
As crazy as it sounds, I believe it's true.

Bushfire2000
January 11th, 2006, 12:32 AM
Lacey Stories

My dogs have access to food and water 24 hours a day. I just fill it up when it's empty. Lacey is the food and water monitor. If we are out of food she goes to the bag or box (depending on the size of the food bag I keep it either in the bag or in a plastic container for storage) and she scratches until we pour some more out. She also scratches the bottom of the water dish when it's empty. I don't know if the other dogs would do the same or not she's right on the job and they don't get a chance.

Lacey also stops on the step every time she enters the house. She turns to the left and looks over the edge of the step and then she comes in the house.

SnowDancer
January 11th, 2006, 10:48 AM
My Dachshunds also would respond to any sound of the furnace coming on. When we had radiators they would have their little bodies have under the units - wonder they weren't singed - and then when we moved to forced air, the look of delight on their faces was very funny as they bolted for the blast of air before returning to the comfort of bed and being wrapped like sausages in the duvet. Even on the hottest summer's day, one of them would wrap himself up. I used to check to make sure he hadn't suffocated.

meb999
January 11th, 2006, 10:55 AM
LMAO Tobstermom!!! That's HILARIOUS!!
Prin -- I can just see Jemma : ' woohoo! They finally left, now I can rub away on the wall, and they'll be none the wiser!'

I love hearing about all the little strange things your pets do...keep 'em coming!

mummummum
January 12th, 2006, 03:01 PM
One day I came home to find one side Bridie's flank soaked to the skin. Naturally I thought she must have an ouchy and had been licking herself silly but wasn't able to find the sore spot. Some weeks later I guess I came into the house in "stealth" mode as no one was at the door to greet me only to discover that while I'm out of the house Bridie hangs out & snoozes in the bathtub. She does this all winter and summer long regardless of how cool it is in the house. But do you think I can get her in the bathtub when it's bath time - Oh NOOOOOoooooooooo...though she does seem to have a thing for the shower-massage (don't even think about going there !)

chico2
January 12th, 2006, 05:22 PM
My Vinnie LOVES the fireplace and often sleeps on the heater-vents,sometimes he gets so hot by the fire(gas)I think he'll cook:D

jessi76
January 13th, 2006, 09:45 AM
My crew are fireplace freaks too... My youngest cat, miss lulu, and my pup, Tucker will lay so close to our wood stove that we always joke they're "frying their brains"

I love all the silly things they do, it's what makes them so unique. Miss Lulu will take showers all day long - she sits in the tub, directly under the faucet, and because our shower is so old, it drips.. she loves getting dripped in the head. she has a bizarre obsession with drips.

Tucker does some strange things, but I think the most amusing is when anyone comes over, or we come home from work... he grabs the nearest item (be it a shoe, my purse, a hat, his kong, a potholder off the counter....) and gives it to us. He'll give a quick hello, but then he's off to get you something so he can properly greet you with a gift.

rivers
January 13th, 2006, 10:16 AM
My 5 month old pup, Ebony, is starting to get her little habits. One of them is the first pee outside in the morning. Afterwards she goes straight to the cupboard where the biscuits are, and waits for her treat. Then I go back up to bed, but she has a little routine before settling down again.

She nibbles her cookie, then checks on the boys bedroom, then checks on my hubbies side of the bed, and then lies on her side, and with all four feet she 'doggy-paddles' along the bottom our bed, all the way around, on her side. Sometimes she adds some grunting and groaning to this doggy-paddling! Crazy.

meb999
January 13th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Tucker does some strange things, but I think the most amusing is when anyone comes over, or we come home from work... he grabs the nearest item (be it a shoe, my purse, a hat, his kong, a potholder off the counter....) and gives it to us. He'll give a quick hello, but then he's off to get you something so he can properly greet you with a gift.

LOL! Buster does the EXACT same thing. He usually opts for one of his toys though. But the minute we come in, he runs to get us a gift!! I love it (I've been trying to get my bf to have the same habbit, but it doesn't seem to be working!!)

Luvmypit
January 18th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Chico that pic is adorable and Meb Buster is gorgeous!

I also have a fireplace lover.

One weird thing capone does that makes anyone laugh.... Put a dryer sheet on the floor, and watch him go. He rolls all over it, rubs himself against it, grunts and flips all over it. He likes things that smell good. You wear a perfume he can smell he will try rubbing himself on you. Catches a sniff of your deoderant he will rub himself under your arms. Freshly washed clothes... don't how many folded piles of clothes have been unfolded by my trusted pooch.

chico2
January 18th, 2006, 04:39 PM
My Rocky(tabby cat)is exactly like Capone,follows me down to the dryer to get his dryer-sheet,he LOVES the Gain dryersheets,goes la-la rubbing himself with it and will fall asleep with the sheet under his head:D and there is nothing more wonderful than cat hair all over your freshly laundered clothes:D

BernerLver
January 19th, 2006, 09:08 AM
She will do anything to be where it's coldest

Bailey is the exact same way. He loves to sleep in the entryway along the door as it's metal and gets quite cold. He won't even sleep in our room at night anymore because he finds it too warm.

In terms of strange habits....he really hates to get his feet wet. If we are out on a walk and there are puddles, he will jump over walk around, whatever it takes not to have to walk in the puddle and get his feet wet!

One time he refused to get out of the car because I accidentally parked in a spot with a lot of water and he couldn't find a dry place to step out onto. Since I can't lift him I had to move to a dryer space!

BaxterBoo
January 19th, 2006, 04:54 PM
LOL! Buster does the EXACT same thing. He usually opts for one of his toys though. But the minute we come in, he runs to get us a gift!! I love it (I've been trying to get my bf to have the same habbit, but it doesn't seem to be working!!)

My Bax does that too. He also takes his rawhide or greenies and 'digs' in the dirty laundry pile, the laundry basket, the blankets or pillows on the bed to 'bury' the bone. After the treat has been deposited, he uses his nose to cover it back up then pats it down with his chin. It's hilarious!!!