Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Why do you live where you live?

Prin
January 10th, 2006, 10:17 PM
With all the talk lately about painful commutes, and bad jobs, I wondered why you all live where you live. (You don't have to say where you live, just why...)

I'd like to think that if I'm very unhappy with where I am, I'd move, but with kids and all that it gets a lot harder, right?

We got this house because it was the only house that was in our price range (very low) that did not need a new foundation right away...

Our old apartment was cheap (a 4 1/2 at $380 a month unheated) but it was full of mold, the door had a hole to outside and there were tens of thousands of cars every day. We were getting sick from the bad air. And if the doggies ever got loose there was a 100% chance they would get hit. Plus, anywhere we went, we'd be stuck in traffic for an hour. We HAD to get out of there and finding an apartment that allowed big doggies like Boo and Jemma was next to impossible and would have probably cost us $700-$800 a month.

But here, it's peaceful, breezy, clean, quiet, and everybody on my street has at least one dog. There are distinct rush hours on the highways here and even though I'm 20kms farther from school, I get there in less time, even in the worst conditions. We go to the city in the day and leave the city at night. It's like living in a cottage.

All this for less than $800 heated. :highfive:

So why do you live where you live? What is good about it? What keeps you there? I hope there are some positive aspects...:o

TobsterMom
January 10th, 2006, 10:25 PM
I live where I live because my hubby got a great job in another province. We moved from NS to PEI. We went from owning our own home, to renting a house. My house is nice...but really expensive rent. It's only 2 years old and has a massive 4 acres in behind. We pay $1100 per month heated for a 3 bdrm rancher. It is beautiful, but we do want to move somewhere more affordable in the spring.

We will be here a year in april. The good thing about our place is that our landlord doesn't care that we have a dog. It will be hard to find another spot close to my sons school and pet friendly.

So basically, we rent here because of our dog.

I also want another puppers, so next place I get will HAVE to be dog friendly. Wish us luck:fingerscr

jawert1
January 10th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Despite my commute (10 miles takes me 40 minutes), I live just outside of DC because my ex moved here 5 years ago and I came too. Course, in the end, I wound up in a sweet apartment, got both dogs, and part of the house settlement, but really I don't know that I could live anywhere that *didn't* have metro transport, museums only 20 minutes away, concert venues to die for, a great university that has the grad prog I'm trying desperately to get into, and of course, a job at aol to get up and go to in the morning (with an office!). My folks moved us around a lot when I was a kid, and the last place we wound up was the middle of nowhere PA, where everyone else knew what I was doing before I did. Living next to a sheep farm on one side and a buffalo farm on the other after having lived in town grew a strong desire to find someplace populated to land in when I could (not that it didn't provide some AMAZING experiences - like waking up to a Bison Jail Break in my front yard). Wow, I'm wordy, YIKES!! :eek:

Prin
January 10th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Good luck, Tobster's mom! :fingerscr :fingerscr :thumbs up

jawert1, uhh... "bison jail break" means they broke out of their farm, right? Just making sure...:o

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 10th, 2006, 11:18 PM
We live where we live because Vancouver is way too expensive. We live a five minute walk from my kids school and basically accross the street from the highschool. Also I like my neighbourhood because its flat and if you have kids on bikes, skateboards or anything that can pick up speed going down a hill flat is really good. All the nice new houses are built on top of steep hills.

Its a great place in the summer lots of lakes and its really really warm. Winter is good for skiing and snowboarding and tubetown if you dont ski like me.
I have met lots of nice people here, and lots of really bizzare people too. I am hoping to get a job in town so I dont have to commute everyday. No one else drives but me so it gets to be a bit tiresome.

But I did sent off a resume today. Its for a recruitment agency you place people in healthcare positions around the world. They wanted someone who had done some travelling, I've worked in a few different places and done a bit of travelling too. I have also worked with physically challenged adults and children and have office experience. They wanted someone with good telephone skills too which I know I definately have by now. Anyways it would be great if I could actually live where I work too.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 10th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Good luck, Tobster's mom! I second that good luck too.

joeysmama
January 10th, 2006, 11:26 PM
I guess I'm here by default. When we were first married we were looking for some place affordable but commuting distance for hubby. The town he grew up in had some affordable homes. Summer cottages that had been converted to year round. So that was our starter home. Then we were looking to move to a bigger place but stay in the same basic area because by then we had children and I didn't want to switch pediatricians, nursery schools and stuff. Looking back those aren't great reasons and we could have found a different community with fine doctors and schools. But then this neighborhood went up and we liked the homes and here we are. It's gotten overcrowded and congested, and it's not cheap to live here. But now we have friends, the kid have friends and I can walk to church. I don't because I'm lazy but I could if I wanted to.:p

My husband would love to move somewhere more affordable. But I love the fact that I know I can call on good friends and they are only minutes away. I see familiar faces everywhere I go. I'm a very social creature and I hate the thought of leaving here.

So basically I don't love the town but I love what and who is in it. And it's not too far from the city and not too far from the shore and within minutes I can be on a pretty country road, after I fight the traffic to get out of town.

So here I am !!

TobsterMom
January 10th, 2006, 11:31 PM
Thanks guys :thumbs up

I'm so glad I've found a place where people don't think I'm crazy for putting my dog's needs ahead of my own :o

Prin
January 10th, 2006, 11:35 PM
Good luck with your job search Joey's Mom. :fingerscr :fingerscr

Tobster's mom, you're normal. It's the animal haters that are messed.

joeysmama, sounds like a good place to me. And if everything has gotten so expensive, doesn't that mean that your home has increased in value too?

Bushfire2000
January 11th, 2006, 12:03 AM
Well I'm where I am because I married a farmer.

Ever see "Green Acres"?

No I'm not really a city girl, but I did pack up and move to the country. I quit my job because I didn't want to drive an hour and a half one way on gravel roads. That was a few years and two kids ago, now I have three jobs and can drive from half an hour to 4 hours one way to work. One of my jobs is for an auction company so we travel (on our own pocket).

The country is the place for me. We have a very nice house with lots of room for kids and dogs. We are fixing up the basement for the kids so the dogs will have more room upstairs:D . Actually the dogs won't go downstairs yet (they will go down stairs just not downstairs) I'm sure when the boys spend more time down there the dogs will too because they hate to be left out.

O.K. I guess I'm where I am because of LOVE:love: .

Love of husband.

Love of children.

Love of my animals.

Love of the land?

shannonRN
January 11th, 2006, 01:34 AM
Short answer: Because my husband's stubborn.

Long answer: The last three moves we have made have been because of his work. Starting out, as "low man on the totem pole," he had to go to a few pretty undesirable locations and then put in memos to transfer closer to the area we wanted to live in. That landed us here, which we decided was good enough and vaguely where we wanted to live--but more than anything, we were sick of moving. It's also within an hour of all of his immediate family, which is nice because I actually like his family.

We considered ourselves lucky to find our house because we wanted something rustic, very private, and log cabin-like, but all we kept finding was "Little House on the Prairie." I mean I want rustic, but I also want running water, electricity, modern appliances, telephone... So we found this nifty little place in the woods. Unfortunately, we're losing our solitude year by year with more and more people building out here. Since our house is in need of some serious renovation in order to suit our needs for the long term, I thought we should consider moving, but he's stubborn, like I said.

I'd like to head for the Adirondacks, Green Mts, White Mts...somewhere close but mountainy. He'd just rather buy a vacation home in one of those places and live here until he dies (He's 33). Oh joy. So that's why we're here :)

Rick C
January 11th, 2006, 09:59 AM
We used to live within a ten minute drive - in rush hour - of my office in downtown Calgary, in an older house with a gigantic, beautiful enclosed and landscaped yard, close to parks. Wonderful for biking and running . . . .

However, my business was growing exponentially in rural towns south of the city where I established an office . . . . . so, it was taking me at least an hour to commute home and driving me insane!!!

We bought an acreage and moved to the country. Now its 20 minutes into my office in the south end of the city and 20 minutes to my other office in a rural town. Mostly highway driving. My stress level plummetted.

Walking the fence line with Keeper and Abby

http://www.goldentales.ca/P1080850_edited-1.jpg

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

BoxerRescueMTL
January 11th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Hmmm..we're in transition! We live where we are right now, just because we wanted to buy our first place a few years ago. We lived downtown at the time and buying downtown was out of the question at the time $$$$. So we bought a new condo 10 minutes out of town for way less $. It was a stepping stone. Now we're moving again, just bought a house. Spent a year and a half deciding exactly where we want to live, what we wanted, what would make us happiest. We finally found our perfect place, lots of land and trees, way out of the city, in a very dog friendly small town in the country. We're moving in a month!! I think it's really important to love where you live.

jessi76
January 11th, 2006, 10:07 AM
My bf and I live where we do because we got a phenominal deal on our house. granted, it needs quite a bit of fixin - but we're young, handy, and have plenty of time to do it. I love the fact that I'm 15 min from my family, 20 min from his family, 15 min from all our friends... I love the fact that we have a big yard for our pets... I love that we live on a nice quiet country road with wonderful neighbors... I love the view of the rolling hills... We're only a few minutes from state parks with trails and mountains to hike, yet close enough where the city is only a little over an hour away (w/out traffic).

I think the only thing I don't like, is our roads. some are still dirt! I feel like I'm 4-wheeling everytime I drive down my road - which trashes my car. The main roads are fine, thankfully, but most are all backroads... which probably only get re-paved every 50 yrs or so.

StaceyB
January 11th, 2006, 10:14 AM
We live here in Ottawa because the place we were living in didn't have much to offer, yes we had jobs but no medical and with all the $ I needed to spend each month to move around it wasn't getting us anywhere. The area we were in is very high unemployment and so many live on welfare. I didn't want to stay in a place like that.
My parents had moved here several years earlier and kept asking us to move here. We eventually did and are very glad we did so. It's kind of funny because I had never lived in a large city before and swore I never would but Ottawa isn't like a normal big city. It is more like a bunch of small communities in the same general area. I think the city is beautiful with all the parks and paths right throught the city. It doesn't feel like a big city.
My dream was to move the family back out to the island where I grew up but I am established here and it would be too much work to pick up and start over somewhere else. We haven't bought a house yet but we when we do we will buy just out of the city where I can have some property.
I am only about a 5 min drive from my shop so everything is close and I don't need to commute.

Schwinn
January 11th, 2006, 10:27 AM
When Mrs. Schwinn was promoted/transferred, she asked what I wanted. I said, "Decent size yard, two car garage and basement". We looked all over. The house we wound up in would easily cost an additional $50k if we moved into the next city 15 mins away. And if we moved into Toronto? easily another $200-300k.

I commute over an hour one way, and I hate it (I work in downtown Toronto), but now that Gracie is here, I wouldn't move. I don't have a problem with raising kids in Toronto, but I insist on having a backyard for the kids to go out in, and we wouldn't be able to afford that in the city. When interest rates go up, and all these people who bought houses they could only afford at 4% start selling them, we'll probably move into Newmarket. Or not. Mrs Schwinn seems to really like the house. Myself, I eventually want a bigger garage, maybe a shop where I can put my rally car when I finally realize that dream.

jjgeonerd
January 11th, 2006, 12:07 PM
We moved to Seattle for my job (we had visited and liked it though). My wife just transferred within her company. We both work in downtown, so we chose to live within the city limits a few miles from downtown. We could get much more house for less $$ if we moved an hour away, but the commute would suck. Plus, my philosophy is that if you are going to deal with all the crap that comes with a big city (traffic, crowds, cost, etc.), you might as well live close enough to enjoy the benefits easily (restaurants, entertainment, etc.). Otherwise, just move to a smaller city.

Jazz&Cricket
January 11th, 2006, 01:43 PM
We moved last year from a nice 3 bedroom small house, fenced yard where for the 12 years I lived there I was able to walk to work (and for 6 years, brought Jazz with me) to
... 160 acres of rural bliss. :) I have to commute 75 km (one way) but in N. Ontario, I can probably count the amount of traffic I meet. We made the change because we were feeling 'cramped'. I had been born in the country so I essentially moved back to my roots. My DH is an artist, so he gets to work at home and takes care of the 4 dogs and 2 cats while I'm at work. I hope to retire in 10 years (sooner I hope), and this will be my 'hobby' farm :) a few sheep, more flowers :) and probably a cash crop of organic vegetables.

jiorji
January 11th, 2006, 02:45 PM
well I wish I lived on Rick C's farm. hehehe

but I live where I live because I made a choice to move from the boring suburbs on Toronto. And even though living in St. Leonard*yawn* isn't the most glam part of town.....I like Montreal cos it's just so darn cute!
Plus if I ignore the bad Quebecois, it would be like living in France:D
A girl can dream can't she??:p

Also I'm here for school, but I doubt I'll be moving back to Ontario....with the PARENTS!! ACK!!

I'm going apartment hunting in the summer to find an area with a better view.:D

Sunkist/Winnie
January 11th, 2006, 03:04 PM
We have deer and bunnies that come visit us.

Because there is enough space for my husbands garage, and my greenhouse (still to be built)

Because it only takes us 40 minutes to get downtown in traffic

Because we're a 5 minutes(max) from the ocean.

Because it's cooler out here in the summer, and milder out here in the winter.

Because spending the morning looking out my back door drinking coffee seeing this view is the most relaxing thing I'll do all day.

Shamrock
January 11th, 2006, 04:40 PM
This is a very interesting thread.
I've lived in the Greater Vancouver area all my life and cant imagine being anywhere else now. I would miss the ocean,the mountains, my "roots"...
Wouldnt miss the incessant rain that we are all now whining about) :rolleyes:
Doesnt do much for the January "blahs"..

gdamadg
January 11th, 2006, 04:47 PM
LOL, I live where I live, 'cause the Army told me to. I miss looking out across the priaries to see the rockies in the distance, but that will come again in time.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 11th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Sunkist I love your back yard.

One thing I like about the Okanagan is the lakes they are so nice the summer and really warm too.

doggy lover
January 11th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Because its 5 min to work for me, I can walk if I want. My hubby kind of works all over as he works construction so he's not a problem. Its a good location for my kids to get to high school, as they go to different school as my son has learning disabilities and goes to a trade school. Great parks near by, and beleive it or not it is a good part of Scarborough still, for how long who knows?

chico2
January 11th, 2006, 05:03 PM
I love where we live,small cute house,big yard,lots of critters coming for visits,my own little wild-life sanctuary....and tons of birds
10 minute walk to lake Ontario,40 min drive to Toronto(once a year),but my area is still very smalltownish,close to everything we would ever need,but not too close.
Old workingclass area,no chance of "monster-homes" being built.
We used to drive 3 min and we would see cows grazing,but now only big ugly houses:sad:
Also,if we ever want to move,it's now worth 6 times more than we paid for it:D but I think we'll stick around:p

jjgeonerd
January 11th, 2006, 06:22 PM
This is a very interesting thread.
Wouldnt miss the incessant rain that we are all now whining about) :rolleyes:
Doesnt do much for the January "blahs"..

We're pretty close to each other! Today is the 24th straight day of rain here in Seattle. 10 more and we break the all-time record! :eek:
I miss the sun. :(

Amiga Girl
January 11th, 2006, 06:35 PM
I live in London, Ont. because I grew up here and all my family and friends are here, except my boyfriend, who lives 7 hrs away in Ottawa. I live here because I am afraid to move all that distance, much to his dismay, with no friend/family support and I'm chicken sh** to give up my job and move to a new city with no job prospects. I live here because I am not ready to make a big commitment and face the uncertainty, even though I'm not happy here. I live here because it's comforting and familiar...... :o

I live in my current building because it's a five minute drive to work, it's affordable and they have yet to cause me any grief about my pooch. Apartment hunting with a dog can be a very negative experience~

CyberKitten
January 11th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Gosh, for me this is both an easy and complicated response. I am a Maritimer and thus like most of us here, ache to be here - even those who alas must move, which is not to suggest other places in Canada are less friendly and warm and caring but they are not home. Many Maritimers find it difficult in "the big city" and find a way to get home one way or the other or else buy a summer cottage.

I have a profession which is in demand (and I did not plan that - as a child, I longed to live in exotic areas - which for me meant New Zealand or even California, lol) and for that reason I am often recruited. I say this because it means I can live just about anywhere and actually could end up easily in Boston - which is also a place I love. But I feel I owe something to my fellow Maritimers - I have a different perspective in life than many (cheating death does that to you and I did it early in life so I have felt for most of my life that I am here for a reason and that reason is to be a compassionate and caring soul who gives of myself and my skills to people who need them the most!!) Not every oncologist wants to move to the Maritimes and so I stay - but in so doing I have discovered, somewhat like my father's land - Ireland - that one can bring prosperity and research to one's regioon simply by sheer force of will and hard work!! It is also why I volunteer for Doctors without Borders. In another generation, I might have been a nun who worked in the third world.

Living here has its disadvantages - it is very cold in the winter and everyone koows you, especiaklly if you have a high profile job and make matters worse by being active in the community and are not shy with one's opinions. It means I meet a postal clerk doiwntown and she tells me my utility bill is in - but my neighbours most certainly will know if someone who is unknown is in the area and they bring pies and breads when one is ill or there is a death in the family. It also helps if you are the absent minded prifessor and you forget your postal key - they juyst give you your mail, who needs an ID? The same of course is true at the Halifax International Airport - either someone wants a job at the hospital (one in security, lol) or wants to volunteer or liked my commentary on a local news program.Anf they forget to check your liggage. I find the same sort of thing in Dublin too though and no one really knows me there, lol (I could also live there and s work there in the summer when I can).

So I live here because I love the people - they are down to earth, caring, know me and my family and my cats and even my political adversary would not put up a lawn sign agaimst my party, lol

I cannot imagine why anyone who has the ability to stay would ever leave the Maritimes, in all honesty!

Iggette
January 11th, 2006, 07:07 PM
I live here because my girlfriend came up from Barrie and found me a place while I was at work. It had to be affordable on my own and accomidate my furry friends. I am now a 2 minute drive to work:thumbs up. It is a two bedroom house with a yard at the side for Buddy but all my kitties have to stay indoors for now I'm to paronoid to let them out as I am close to a road. I hope to buy a place in the near future but this will do for now:)

Prin
January 11th, 2006, 07:54 PM
We're pretty close to each other! Today is the 24th straight day of rain here in Seattle. 10 more and we break the all-time record! :eek:
I miss the sun. :(
I have a shirt from Seattle (my dad brought it back for me) and it says "Seattle Rain Festival: August 1st to July 31st".. (It's lame I know, but funny right now...)

At Costco they had this $200 gadget that emits bright light so you can get the "benefits" of bright light without the sun... I don't have $200 to spend on an experiment though.:o

free
January 11th, 2006, 08:40 PM
we moved here because it was the only place we could afford. we had 30 days to move from ottawa and affordable rentals with 2 kids and a dog was impossible to find. the builder had this house backing onto a ravine that could close when we needed so we took it sight unseen. all we had to go on was the buiilders specs.

Prin
January 11th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Is it ok? What do you mean by "backing onto a ravine"? Is it falling in or is the back yard the ravine?

Rick C
January 11th, 2006, 09:14 PM
I used to have a shirt from Seattle illustrated with a big pile of seagull poop running down one shoulder. . . . .

If you can get to Seattle for Bumbershoot some time, take the opportunity. That's fun stuff.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

CyberKitten
January 11th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Ohhhk, I will ahem, byte.... (not a typo). What is a bumplewhatever. I wll be in the Seattle area in August so I would like to know, lol

Puppyluv
January 11th, 2006, 10:47 PM
I live where I live for couple of reasons:
1)Fairly close to school (4 metro stops or a 30 min walk) And the walk is a nice one, of a decent distance so that it's actually a little bit of exercise if I'm too busy to do much else but walk that day.
2) Not TOO close to school. McGill Ghetto? NO THANKS!!!
3) Close enough to retaurants, bars, etc to not spend an hour getting there, but not so close that I can't sleep because of the noise
4) Condos were for sale at decent prices (my place is a 1 bdrm and cost 185k which is a lot less than a condo of the same size and quality in some places)
5) Very safe for a young girl to live (I live on the edge of the gay village, and well to say the least, not many of the people around are too interested in me or any of my female friends)

jawert1
January 11th, 2006, 11:48 PM
Living here has its disadvantages - it is very cold in the winter and everyone koows you, especiaklly if you have a high profile job and make matters worse by being active in the community and are not shy with one's opinions. It means I meet a postal clerk doiwntown and she tells me my utility bill is in - but my neighbours most certainly will know if someone who is unknown is in the area and they bring pies and breads when one is ill or there is a death in the family. It also helps if you are the absent minded prifessor and you forget your postal key - they juyst give you your mail, who needs an ID? T
So I live here because I love the people - they are down to earth, caring, know me and my family and my cats and even my political adversary would not put up a lawn sign agaimst my party, lol

I cannot imagine why anyone who has the ability to stay would ever leave the Maritimes, in all honesty!

I can attest to all of that Cyberkitten, I was sent to Halifax for a 2 week work fill in (my counterpart was on vacation, so I subbed in for him). Not only was I asked to stay a 3rd week, but on top of it, another person I worked with called his friend (who does violin repair in Halifax) to let him know I was there. They invited me for dinner, down to the waterfront to watch bands play, and extended the invite to stay with them anytime I was there (and to ditch my hotel and take over their guest room). I did an insane tour one Saturday that took me from Halifax over the bridge to PEI down the ferry to Antigonish (was there for the highland festival!) then up to Cape Breton further on to Kanso (the highway dumps RIGHT into the water!!) then back to Halifax. All along every stop, someone asked where I was from, what I was doing, would I like to join them for coffee, did I care to go see the highland dance competition...I'm still homesick for Nova Scotia and this was 3 years ago now. I suppose there's always an affinity for wherever you call home - whether it be moving solely so you can bring your beloved furry with you (my hats off to you Tobster, a lot of ppl that don't belong to this board wouldn't consider petfriendly a factor) or for your job or simply because someone heaped kindness unknown in certain parts of the world on a stranger :)

I'm so glad we're all here on this board in one place, no matter where our leashes hang :)

TobsterMom
January 12th, 2006, 12:15 AM
Well said jawert! :thumbs up

jjgeonerd
January 12th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Ohhhk, I will ahem, byte.... (not a typo). What is a bumplewhatever. I wll be in the Seattle area in August so I would like to know, lol

Bumbershoot (old name for an umbrella) is a 3-day, mostly outdoor music festival that is held at the Seattle Center (where the Space Needle is) in August...and it hasn't rained during it the last 3 years ;) . Pretty much any type of music you can think of is represented there. It is really a great festival, costs about $15 per day to attend, and is a great way to see what Seattle is all about. It's always takes place over a long weekend. Try googling it...they always have a website.

When it gets closer to your visit let me know and I'll give you some restaurant recommendations...if you want them of course! :p

jjgeonerd
January 12th, 2006, 11:53 AM
I have a shirt from Seattle (my dad brought it back for me) and it says "Seattle Rain Festival: August 1st to July 31st".. (It's lame I know, but funny right now...)

At Costco they had this $200 gadget that emits bright light so you can get the "benefits" of bright light without the sun... I don't have $200 to spend on an experiment though.:o

We just hit the tanning bed once in a while. My wife more than I...just seems weird to me for a guy to go to a tanning bed! :cool:

AliSam
January 12th, 2006, 04:27 PM
I pretty much live where I live because it was the only place we could afford a detached home that was (at the time) not too bad a commute to our jobs. That is going to change for me in June though when my Company moves about 40kms North of its current location. I already live 40kms away.