Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Are you supposed to license your dogs?

Jenmlf
January 10th, 2006, 02:05 PM
with the city? I was just reading something and am wondering if this is really necessary? If so its news to me!:confused:

Jen

Bushfire2000
January 10th, 2006, 02:16 PM
It would depend on the by-laws where you live.
I live in the country so I don't have to license my dogs. But the town nearest us has a by law that requires you to license your dogs and cats, it also restricts how many animals you can have in a single family dwelling and what kind. They have a hefty fine for not having licenced animals. It can make it easier to get your animals back if they are licenced I recommend having your animals microchipped if pos. and mine always wear their rabies and ID tags.

Prin
January 10th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Yup, most cities require it. They also limit you to a certain number of dogs per household too. Usually when you buy the licence they give you a pamphlet of the by-laws (if not ask for one).

StaceyB
January 10th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Here in Ottawa it costs 20.00. If the dog is microchipped, 10 or fixed 10 and both free.
You can have 3 dogs but can only walk 2 at a time.

CyberKitten
January 10th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Depends on where you live but something like 99% of municipalities in Canada requitre dogs to be licenced. Call the city hall or check their web site.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 10th, 2006, 03:53 PM
In our town you do. They made an announcment in the paper yesterday. Pretty soon they'll be knocking on doors if you dont have one.

rivers
January 10th, 2006, 04:55 PM
When I phoned my city about getting a license for my puppy, they told me to wait until she has her rabies shot and then apply for it. Does this sound strange? So I am waiting until she has the shot and then will be getting the license tag at the same time.

Lise
January 10th, 2006, 04:59 PM
In a lot of towns in Ontario rabies vacc is mandatory and they check vacc when you buy license.Thats how it works here guess it's the same thing.

StaceyB
January 10th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Unless it is something that they just added, I haven't heard of it.

SnowDancer
January 10th, 2006, 11:34 PM
In Toronto, yes. Our dog is male - neutered and microchipped so cost was $20. We had to provide microchip number, rabies tag number and proof that he had been neutered. Animal control has really started to check for licences on dogs - I have been asked 3 times and we don't go very far.

mona_b
January 11th, 2006, 09:12 AM
When I phoned my city about getting a license for my puppy, they told me to wait until she has her rabies shot and then apply for it. Does this sound strange?

Not at all.I was told this also when my dogs were pups.They were 12 weeks and they told me the same thing.

The reason they want you to wait till they have the Rabies done is because that is one of the things that get filled out.What I mean is the registration of the licence asks when the shots(rabies) was given.Then it asks the name of the vet,the clinic and the date of the shots.

You can also be fined if you don't have one.

rivers
January 11th, 2006, 10:21 AM
thanks, I am in Ontario, in the GTA area. She is going this Friday for her shot, so hopefully the animal control doesn't pay me a visit sooner!:eek:
Then I'll get her licensed the same day.

SnowDancer
January 11th, 2006, 10:53 AM
If you are stopped by Animal Control, tell them of your vet appointment and then get the form in fast. You will be issued a warning notice and will have X number of days to have pup licenced. Happened to fellow in my office. Animal Control tends to hang around places where dogs congregate - parks, vets offices, groomers. It is a pain you can only get one licence tag. My dog has the Canine Equipment Harness so it is bib like - so he has a few so that they can be washed. I made a clip on ring out of one of the little battery operated lights you can attach to dog's collar or harness to find them in the dark, so I can switch it between harnesses.

StaceyB
January 11th, 2006, 11:23 AM
My dogs tags always fall off. It doesn't matter what I do, I still lose them and in areas where they will never be found. I keep the records in the van so that I can get them if needed when we are out or away.

mona_b
January 11th, 2006, 11:15 PM
thanks, I am in Ontario, in the GTA area.

I was living in T.O at the time............:)

AliSam
January 12th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Yep! Sam has a lifetime license since he is both neutered and microchipped.