Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My son wants to be a rockstar

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 10th, 2006, 09:12 AM
My oldest son he turned 8 yesterday has been telling us for the past several months that he wants to be a rock star.

He loves to sign along to Avril and Green Day in the car, and makes up his own rap songs, complete with the hand gesture thing.

There is a music teacher here that used to be in a band a while back he teaches and his daughters teach as well. It sounds like it would be fun for him.

His two older cousins are actually in a band in Nelson and are actually really good, my son talks about his cousins that are rockstars so maybe he wants to be like them.

So he is going to check it out first, then we can go out and buy an electric guitar and an amp. (the neighbours will love us now)

Prin
January 10th, 2006, 09:47 AM
He can't start with an acoustic guitar? Finding a used one might be cheaper and if he really is serious, he'd use it to death.:)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 10th, 2006, 09:56 AM
The geetar teacher said that electric is easier to learn on and the strings are softer and easier on the fingers. Also its smaller than an acoustic so its easier to hold.

I still might try to pick him up a cheap acoustic guitar though.

StaceyB
January 10th, 2006, 10:02 AM
I have small hands and when I was learning to use it in school I found it too hard to set up and move my fingers correctly and didn't continue with it. Get the one that is easiest to use.

jjgeonerd
January 10th, 2006, 10:33 AM
That's awesome! Electric is the way to go...easier to play, only as loud as he turns it up, and way COOLER so he should stay interested.

Just be glad he doesn't want to play drums. No volume control. I'm not sure my parents knew what they were getting into when they got me my first drumset! :evil:

I was in bands all thru college and a few years afterwards. It's a ton of fun...too bad we never made it to rockstar status! :p

jiorji
January 10th, 2006, 01:16 PM
hehe rock on little dude!!

but AVRIL?!?! gosh...do the little guy a favour and introduce him to some true rock stars. May I suggest starting with some classic UK bands such as the Sex Pistols and the Clash?? then you know move to something more contemporary like...oh no...there's no good millenium bands I'd suggest. Sad....
but maybe Guns'n'Roses?? GREAT driving music:D Or Radiohead. Perhaps he'll prefer more poetic sounds?

Let's just hope he doesn't turn into another rapping heavy metal rocker. hehe:fingerscr

I think it's time to soundproof the basement lol. My ex told me he got his first guitar at an early age and then his mom got him an amp and she regretted the decision.
aahhhh....kids :)