- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


The results of our flying adventures

January 10th, 2006, 06:31 AM
Well, as some of you know, Layla got her first (and second) airplane experience this Christmas. Despite all of my misgivings, and worrying and such, it worked out wonderfully (and horribly at the same time)
The flying itself was great, in both drections, she got intoher kennel willingly, lay down, didn't make any fuss at all. When she was let out at the other end, she was lying down waiting for me, and was a little hyper, but otherwise generally happy. Everyone at both airports doted on her, passengers and staff alike (the baggage carrier that brought her out to me in Calgary told me how great she was, and that they wished every dog was as well behaved as her:) ) I had a window seat on the baggge loading side, so I saw her get put on and off the plane, and each time, they were really gentle with her, and as soon as she was off the plane, they drove her off to the airport, so she wasn't outside for very long.
Now for the horrible parts.
I left montreal on Dec 16th, the day of the huge snowstorm. My flight was supposed to be at 8:30, and since I still had to buy Layla's ticket (no advanced purchases) I had to be at the airport by 6. So I get to the airport after a 60 min drive through the snow (thank goodness it wasn't a taxi, or it would have cost me upwards of $100.00) buy her ticket, and am sitting, waiting, when, they cancel all aircanada flights. I went back to ticketing, and got booked onto the next flight, which was to leave at 6:30 pm. (12 hours later) I don't have a car, so Layla and I were stranded, like most people at the airport:eek: I called my parents, who were oh so happy to hear from me at 4:30 in the morning (their time) and my dad told me to just call around hotels and see who had a room, and who would take a dog, so as it turned out, I spent the day at the airport Hilton (which, if anyone is travelling to montreal, and wants to stay near the airport for some reason, is a very nice hotel, loves dogs, has very comfortable beds, and a decent restaurant).
At about 5:00 we head back to the airport, and check in. We spend some time "making friends" and even got interviewed on CTV (the reporter loved Layla, and even got down on the ground to play with her). I had to drop Layla off at 5:45, so she got into her crate, and I went through security. At which point, they delayed the flight until 8:30:eek: We finally got onto the plane, and then spent another 2 hours on the tarmac:eek: I was freaking about Layla. The flight took 45 min longer than it normally does:eek: Layla was in her crate for 13 hours:eek: I was sure that when I sw her, she would be covered in urine and fesces, but she was dry as a bone (but deffinately needed to go!) She was also thirsty and hungry as heck! But despite those problems, she was great!
After that, I figured the return flight would be a cinch. And in comparison, it was. But it wasn't perfect. We had a 2 hour delay on the tarmac in calgary because one of the engines wouldn't start, and then a 30 min delay in montreal because they couldn't dock the plane to the ramp.:rolleyes: But still, nothing compared to the first flight!
Anyways, just thought I'd give you all the update, and I can deffinately say that I feel comfortable enough to fly with her again!

January 10th, 2006, 08:18 AM
Awesome puppyluv, great to know that you both made it through, in spite of the unpleasantries :) Nice to have you back too!

January 10th, 2006, 09:44 AM
I'm glad it all worked out despite the delays... At least the Hilton takes doggies.;)

January 10th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Glad everything worked out. In 1990 I saw a dog in his crate - okay it was a mini Dachshund which raised my hackles - come out on the baggage carousel upside down with the crate hanging over the edge - Toronto airport. The owner was upset - I was ballistic even though it wasn't my dog. This was before they allowed small dogs to travel in-cabin. I had flown my Beagle to Calgary for the 1 year and 8 months we lived there and we had picked him up at the baggage department so this was a shock. The owner was a new Dachshund Mom who was not aware of Dachshund back problems - and it had been only 6 months since my guy had had full body surgery. I just couldn't believe it. I also recommend Hilton airport hotels - very convenient particularly when you have to check in 3 hours in advance and the airports are an hour from the cities. By the way La Guardia does not have a Hilton airport just in case anyone else gets stranded as we did in September - they were my first choice to call - and rooms were very scarce.