Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat is loosing weight..fast!

cris1070
October 20th, 2003, 11:40 AM
Cat is loosing weight...4 lbs in 2 months...weighs 5 lbs now.
Was tested for leukemia diabetis urinary
had a ton taken.
sent home cat is still loosing weight, and hair now.
nose is bleeding on and off...has LOTS of mucus comming from his nose.
Went back to vet and I was told at the hospital that he "might have a respitory infection" he is groaling when he breathes....like a stuffy nose type. He is lathargic and very dyhydrated.
has been on antibiotic for the nose for a month now...its no better. I can not afford any more for cat(over 400.00 in a month)...love him. Do these symptons sound familar to anyone for something else? My mother was sayiing sounds like distemper?
Please help with suggestions.

Cris P
cris1070@aol.com

Lucky Rescue
October 20th, 2003, 04:19 PM
I'm no vet, but your cat sounds like it is displaying many of the symptoms of feline infectious peritonitis. This disease is sometimes hard to diagnose, becuase a lot of the symptoms are the same as shown in other illnesses.

Feline distemper is a much more rapidly progressing illness with cats dying in a week or so, so I doubt your cat has that.

I hope you find out what is wrong with your cat.:(

cris1070
October 25th, 2003, 09:51 AM
Thanks...we will be takeing Butchie back to the vet today...Im requesting a test be done for this. The nurses have never herd of this before, so I have to bring it up with the doctor as I was told on the phone. Thanks for the info!

cris1070
January 27th, 2004, 08:56 PM
Sorry to say we had to have Butchie put down last month....his nose was bleeding so bad...and he could no longer get up and move. He will be missed very much...WE LOVED HIM!

Lucky Rescue
January 27th, 2004, 10:01 PM
I"m so sorry you lost Butchie.:(

Luba
January 28th, 2004, 03:13 AM
SO sorry for the loss. Please post a picture and some lovely thoughts on the virtual cemetery here. Go the home page and then look on the left hand columns.

chico2
January 28th, 2004, 10:33 AM
I just finished reading the posts from Aaron and his poor dog and now the cat with weight-loss and bleeding nose died.
I once had a cat"Sammy",who had all those symptoms,went through several tests and examinations,medicins,x-rays etc...
In the end,when we had to give up and let him go,it turned out all his problems stemmed from one infected tooth.
Today,the vets always strech the importance of looking after your pets teeth and I know first hand how one bad tooth can destroy a cat.Having your cats teeth cleaned is very expensive,but save you and the cats a lot of grief and pain in the long run.