Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Chewing himself

neggy123
October 20th, 2003, 01:55 AM
Hi there,

I have a Bichon Frise, and he is almost 14. For a while now he has been chewing the side of his leg and its getting really bad. We had to put the lamp shade so he doesn't chew and now he is suffering pretty bad. Any idea what causes this or anything that i can do make it better. Thank you

Josh

Bueller's Mommy
October 20th, 2003, 07:46 AM
Take him to the vet ASAP! My friend had the same problem with her rottweiler only he was chewing his toe. Turned out he had a tumor and needed to have it removed. It could be several things, but if he's in obvious pain please get him checked!

Jim Button
October 20th, 2003, 09:39 PM
Hi Mommy!
Chewing is a common reaction to a skin irritation. Insect infestation, allergic reaction, or just a thorn. If it is in one small area could be bugs, or at least some local versus a general systemic problem. examine the skin he is worrying carefully for any evidence of obvious problems: rash, or fleas, scratches, infection... But you will need to see the vet to resolve this anyhow so get over to see what he says.

Jim

Carina
October 20th, 2003, 10:27 PM
The others are right - it could be so many different things, that really he needs to be seen by a vet to determine what it is, and how to treat it. Be aware there are some skin conditions - ringworm is one - that you can catch from your dog. I've caught ringworm from a dog.

Benadryl is safe for dogs and may well relieve his itching *temporarily*. Disclaimer - I am not a veterinary professional so check with your vet, in case he's taking anything else that may have a reaction to antihistamines.