Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Controlling dog chewing

Rockblind
January 9th, 2006, 10:16 AM
I keep my 6 month old pup lab in the kitchen when no one is home. She gets into everything, fridge, cupboards, garbage. So when we head to work we now have to basically lock down everything as she knows how to get into it all!! We correct her when we are home but when not, she does at will. I know that kenneling the dog would resolve the issue, is it possible to muzzel the dog to aviod the problem untill she gets out of the puppy chewing/eating stage? If so is there such a muzzel?

Thanks, RB

StaceyB
January 9th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Please never muzzle your dog and leave them. It can be enough of a problem if not used properly when you are there. Honestly, a crate would be your best choice. Your puppy is only 6 months old, adolescent age and is getting too much freedom if they are able to get into that much stuff when you are not home. Your puppy will never stop this behaviour if they continue to be rewarded for it. If you didn't want to use a crate you could get an x-pen and set it up so that your puppy doesn't have access to anything.

Rockblind
January 9th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Thanks StaceyB for answering back, one question regarding the Kennel, will it be to dramatic to start Kenneling her at 6 months seeing that she has had freedom since bringing her home at 11 weeks?

Thanks again.

jessi76
January 9th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Don't just buy a crate and put her in it for hours on end - start with small amounts of time. She needs to learn that this new place is her's - her den - her room - whatever you call it.. it's HER spot. She needs to learn to be comfortable there.

always make being in the crate a positive experience - she should never be yelled at, or put in the crate out of punishment - make it a happy safe spot - treats, toys, a favorite blanket (perhaps something that smells like YOU will help comfort her), etc...

StaceyB
January 9th, 2006, 12:02 PM
6 months is not to old to crate but follow the directions that have been posted above.

BernerLver
January 9th, 2006, 01:13 PM
We didn't start putting Bailey in a crate until 5 months old and he adjusted. He now likes to hang out in his crate and watch me while I am sorting laundry etc.

As an example of why I think creates are great....my father-in-law refused to crate Bailey while we were living with him. By the time we moved to our new house there was not one piece of baseboard, trim or door on the main floor that Bailey hadn't chewed on.

Since we were not about to have our new house damaged, we began to crate him when we moved.

IMO you can't let your dog have the run of the house etc. and then get mad at them when they chew on things. Better to limit their opportunities to get into mischief in the first place.