Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Tipping the Groomer

Daizy
January 9th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Does anyone know is it customary to tip the dog groomer as one does the hairdresser?

Rottielover
January 9th, 2006, 09:26 AM
I always do, just alittle something for his or hers effort

StaceyB
January 9th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Yes, tip your groomer if they have done a good job.

gomez
January 9th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Yes, we always tip also...

Byrd
January 9th, 2006, 03:55 PM
I used to be a groomer and it is apprecitated. It can be a very stressful and dangerous job, so anything (even just a sincere thanks) is really nice to get.

SnowDancer
January 9th, 2006, 04:16 PM
I would find it awkward as the groomer is the owner and we also buy all of our food, cookies, leashes, harnesses, numerous toys etc. from her. But I do give very nice Christmas presents to her and to her assistant.

StaceyB
January 9th, 2006, 04:38 PM
The gifts are equivilant to the tip in my mind. I receive many gifts from students when they graduate and I love every one of them, even just a nice card or a thank you.

Your groomer provides you a service the same as a hairdresser or server, you tip them.

Shamrock
January 9th, 2006, 08:05 PM
I have my poodle clipped every three months, and my persian cat shaved in a lion cut periodically. Each fee is $25. (no bath)

I tip 5 bucks each visit, 10 at Christmas.

Boubou
January 9th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Yes!!! You should definitely tip your groomer! I don't understand how people can tip their hairdressers and not their dog groomers. When I go to my hairdressers, I always tip them between 5 and 10 dollars. And, I didn't poop on their table, didn't try to bite when they brushed out my hair, and stayed still while they gave me a trim. And they certainly didn't need to get an assistant to stop what they were doing to help keep me still. What I'm trying to say is, if you have a good dog groomer, please, please give them a generous tip. A professional, experienced pet groomer will most probably have higher prices than your basement/petstore groomer, but they are worth it. To have your dog groomed at an establishment that loves dogs and will treat yours with nothing but love and respect AND make him look and smell great is worth a few extra bucks. It is a very hard profession and a good one is hard to find. Please, encourage yours to stay in her profession by treating her (or sometimes him!) with the same respect you would give your hairdresser. :pawprint: :pawprint:

Prin
January 9th, 2006, 11:13 PM
All the groomers I know are WAY underpaid, so if I had a dog to groom, I'd tip. For sure.:) If the price is the cost of the groom, think of the tip as the amount of appreciation you have for not having to do it yourself...;)

Daizy
January 10th, 2006, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the info. everyone. I wasn't too sure as my groomer is quiet expensive $70/80 for a toy poodle ~ but they do a brilliant job and she (my dog) comes out happy after it all. I would really recommend them to anyone. I don't have her done every month ~ only every 3 months or so, so an extra $5/10 shouldn't be too awful to cough up.

StaceyB
January 10th, 2006, 09:06 AM
That does seem to be a bit expensive but if you are happy with their work and care they take with your dog then it is fine.

SnowDancer
January 10th, 2006, 12:24 PM
I think that there are many factors to consider - grooming establishment, the groomer and how he/she would feel about it if the owner. My dog's groomer is one of the best and she would be absolutely appalled if I handed her a $10 tip. She does have an assistant and there is a discreet tip container on the desk that actually blends into the woodwork. People frequently come in for a nail trim and I have noticed that the $5 fee always goes into that box. My dog must be groomed more often than the norm for his breed type because he just doesn't blow his coat and we do pay a reasonably high price. Since I was unsure of the tipping issue I have watched others picking up their dogs ahead of me, and they did not tip. But come Christmas, very nice looking Christmas gifts come her way - always a present, never cash. Actually with me, cash would be cheaper as if I buy a gift, I buy a gift. I have seen people slip her assistant cash at Christmas. She is a professional groomer by trade, but does carry a limited amount of very high quality foods, coats, toys, leashes, grooming aid, beds, and will special order items just as a service to her customers. I find this very helpful as coats, harnesses, collars, boots are professionaly fitted. Being located right behind our vet is also a plus. If I were in her shoes, I would be uncomfortable taking a tip. Any cash in the box goes to her assistant.

Bushfire2000
January 10th, 2006, 01:08 PM
I don't tip.

I groom Buster, and Cocoa myself, they get a cut that keeps them burrfree, It's not pretty but functional and usually takes two sessions.

Lacey gets a cut from me if I have an assistant or from a groomer if I can't find someone to help. Although it's an average three month wait for the groomer, any groomer in this area (no it's not related to my tipping practices) so I can usually find a willing helper within that time.

When I use a groomer it usually costs between $50 and $60. I did have a woman come out to the farm once, to clip them here, and she charged me $25 per dog without a bath. She dosen't do grooming any more though.

Shamrock
January 10th, 2006, 02:43 PM
To me, a groomer should provide this to pet owners... in this order:
-Trust. Owner can feel comfortable leaving their precious pet in their care and shop
-A satisfactory result. Does a nice job and follows your instructions (to the best of their ability)
-A fair fee. Based on work performed, size of animal, time spent.

Though mine doesnt -some groomers charge more for working with cats, many dont do them at all. I understand the difficulties and dont mind paying extra -to a degree. One groomer charged my $75 for a lion cut for my cat ( 3 times the amount of the other) but it was her crappy attitude that sent me packing never to return.
As for dogs...I have a six pound poodle, but would certainly expect to pay a lot more if he was an Old English sheepdog.

For any personal service I receive, I tip 20% if I am satisfied, to show my appreciation for a job well done.
If the groomer is also the shop owner, I can understand this may be a different situation.

StaceyB
January 10th, 2006, 03:05 PM
As a former groomer I know what goes into a groom. That poodle may cost more than the old english if the poodle were being hand scissored vs shaved. It takes much more skill to scissor a dog so that you don't see cut marks, it also takes longer to do. If a dog were going in to have a bath, brushed out and a light trim all over would be more work than one going in for a shave down and if they had any matting then it would be more work especially if the dog again was not being shaved. There is stuff that is done by groomers that one doesn't think is time consuming or more difficult until you try doing it yourself.

Boubou
January 10th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Being a professional pet groomer for the past seventeen years AND a shop owner, please help me to understand the "if they are the owner, I don't tip them" policy. Also, why would I be uncomfortable to accept a tip? I can understand not taking tips from friends, family, etc., but if I spent the past hour and a half on your dog to give him a nice clip, why would I deserve less than my employee? Most small business owners actually make the same if not less on an hourly basis as their employees.

Again, if your hairdresser is the owner of the salon, would you not tip him for this reason?

TobsterMom
January 10th, 2006, 10:15 PM
I miss my groomer :(
She would charge $25 for a Golden...that is amazing. She was sooo wonderful and loving, and I had complete trust in her. I would tip VERY well and also let her know how much she was appreciated!

Alas, when we moved we took him to another groomer. He charged $40, which is still really reasonable, but he wasn't as cheery and loving to our dog. When we went home for a visit, we booked Toby for an appointment with his old groomer. She was very concerned, because she went to do his paws, and he kept pulling away, something he never ever did with her before. I think maybe this guy did something to my dog :mad: I still haven't found another groomer here, I've been trying to do it myself.

So yes, if you have a great groomer...tip well!

technodoll
January 10th, 2006, 10:55 PM
i tip hubby very generously when he bathes the dog! :D

I do the rest: claw & feet fur trim (every two weeks), weekly whisker trim, ear cleaning, daily brushing (3 times per day when he's blowing coat), blow-drying after a bath, but we both get lots of doggy kissies during the process... i guess this is the best tip ever, LOL! :o

SnowDancer
January 11th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Well, I have the answer - I will just ask her - but I know what the answer will be! And the tip box very clearly has a sign that reads "Tips for the Girls" and you have to be very observant to even find the box. As I said, unless you know the people involved it is hard to know how someone will react to a tip. I once tried to tip my hairdresser who is the salon owner and he turned down the tip. I do pay a considerable amount to have my very thick hair done though. He is aware that I generously tip the colourist and is happier with that.

StaceyB
January 11th, 2006, 10:19 AM
I would just offer her the tip, if she declines fine or if she decides to give it to the girls instead of keep it herself, fine(they probably have helped with your dog anyway), but at least someone will benefit by it and you get to show your appreciation through a tip.
Asking will probably be ok as well but for myself I would rather someone just offer me the tip and I decline than someone asking if they can give me one, but that is just me. I would be uncomfortable if someone asked if they could tip. Either way I would still appreciate the offer.

On the tipping topic. I like to tip for a job well done, not one that isn't. What bothers me is group tipping in restaurants. You would expect that you are tipping the person who served you and they would give a percentage to staff that helped like the cook. What I don't like is having them split between serving staff because you may have one person who goes out of their way to do their best job, not everyone does and I don't think that they deserve my tip but again that is just me.