Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Consideration when adding new family members.

papillonmama
January 9th, 2006, 09:44 AM
I have been carefully considering opening my home to a new family member, a dog to be exact. In my home, I have two cats, a papillon, two toddlers, and a nine year old. Currently, I'm a stay at home mom, and plan on staying home until my smallest ones are in school, so I have lots of time to spend with new family member.
I read that when adding a new dog, the dog should be smaller than the current, so that the current will not feel threatened by a larger, possibly dominant dog.
Smaller than a papillon is pushing it, you know what I'm saying? That only leaves a pup or a small dog, rescues, not all, but generally, don't really want to adopt a small dog into a family with young kids, my kids are awesome with our pap, by the way.

So, my question is, how much does size matter?

Honestly, I often feel for the larger, older black dogs that are at shelters for extended periods. I want to find a perfect match for my family, what would be best, a pup, an older dog, or a small dog? What would be best for my current dog, in all fairness, she's the one I consider the most when thinking about adopting. I really think she would do great with another dog, she loves the cats, but they don't always want to play with her, because she's active during the day and they prefer to sleep.

This is all just me thinking, I like to consider everything before acting, I'm not one to just rush out and get something just because I like the look of it, I like to know everything I can first. So I hope I can get some suggestions from all of you, any feedback would be great.

And hey, if it's not the right time, that's okay too, I just want to consider everything first.

Thank You.:)

Lucky Rescue
January 9th, 2006, 10:07 AM
It's good that you're not rushing into anything!:)

You're right - large, adult black dogs seldom get adopted, no matter how wonderful they are.

Since you have small children and small dog, I think your best bet would be a dog who is in a foster home with both kids and pets. Then you will know EXACTLY the temperament and behavior and could see the dog interacting with kids and dogs beforehand. Seeing is believing, since many owners lie when they want to dump their dogs.

I know papillons are great little dogs, but many other small breeds are not good with kids, so I would be wary of that.

Prin
January 9th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Are labs too big? I would say a lab or a lab mix... Just my opinion, of course. Labs have the energy to keep up with kids, though older labs (older than 4) do slow down quite a bit. They have patience too and they don't get hurt too easily.