Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kitten died, need some ideas

mandiebaby
October 18th, 2003, 05:12 PM
Last night my kitten died in my arms. He wasn't the best of cats...meaning that his eyes were wall-eyed, and his claws couldn't retract. If somehow he ate people food he would get sick (but I guess that's normal). But last night I knew something was strange. He threw up once, then started breathing funny, and flopping around on the ground. His poor little heart was beating rapidly. He would try to stand up but his legs would give out on him. After and hour he took a final deep breathe and then stopped breathing and his heart stopped. Does anyone have any ideas as to what might have happened? If you need more info, e-mail me: mandiebaby@hotmail.com

QuinnsMom
October 20th, 2003, 10:41 AM
I am very sorry for your loss, it must have been hard.

Could he have gotten into anything? I sound like he migth have been poisened. Rapid heart rate, weakness, vomiting - it could be a lot of things. The only way to really tell is an autopsy.

mandiebaby
October 23rd, 2003, 12:47 AM
I far as I could tell, there was nothing that he could have gotten into. I was always very careful about that, due to the fact that Louie would try to get into everything. I just thought maybe there was a disease or something that he might have gotten with out us knowing. But I suppose you are right, an autopsy would tell us what happened. But he's been "dealt" with already, so I can't do that anymore. But thank you for your reply.

BobbyandTommy
October 23rd, 2003, 09:40 AM
I am very sorry about your little kitty! I once had a kitten who like to lie under a big plant my mother had. I can't remember what kind of plant it was, but it has big leaves that were green and had white on them. It would "sweat" at times. One day he was under it and the "sweat" dripped on Boomer (that was his name) and not long after he had symptoms that were not much different then what you described, a little more severe though. There are many household plants that are poisonous to animals - see what you have and research them, they could be your source.