Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

need a new tv

raingirl
January 8th, 2006, 08:11 PM
I am so mad right now. every sunday we watch the simpsons, then take the dog for a walk, watch Family guy, then go to bed.

Tonight I found out "bend it like beckham" was on, and expressed my interest in watching it early this afternoon.

So...I asked bf to change channel and he got all in a huff because he hates to miss simpsons. The way our VCR works, we can't watch and record at the same time, so it's not like one could have been recorded.

So...we need a second tv. Anyone have any tips on buying one? I don't want to spend much money. Never bought a tv before. Every tv I have had has been a handmedown. The tv we have now is almost 25 years old.

BMDLuver
January 8th, 2006, 08:16 PM
You're going to buy a new tv because someone was going to miss a cartoon once? I think perhaps that there might be other options than buying a new tv.

Also, check in to renting one, we did for a while and when it didn't work, you called them and they brought out a different one. Was not expensive to rent either.

technodoll
January 8th, 2006, 10:04 PM
tv's are dirt cheap these days, and most brands do the job very well... buy from a reputable store, make sure you have a good warranty in place, watch for sales and spoil yourself. some stores offer no-interest monthly payments if that's convenient for you. a good 27" tv can be had for $200 nowadays, that's not alot for the convenience of never missing your favorite shows, LOL!

futureshop.ca has a 20" on sale this week for $99, free shipping... http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10067855&catid=

good luck! :highfive:

SnowDancer
January 8th, 2006, 11:52 PM
Suggest you get a stereo TV that way if you get a DVD player you will be able to hook it up without buying $100 worth of extra cables so that you can have your VCR and DVD player hooked up at same time. We bought a 14" stereo TV to get around this problem - it cost $199. Our older 14" was 15 years old so seemed a safer bet.

Prin
January 9th, 2006, 02:11 AM
If you don't want to spend any money... I would suggest getting a plain ol' fashioned one. They're so cheap now because everybody wants the LCD or plasmas...

If not, I say LCD. They are supposed to last 30 years, while plasmas last 7. My computer screen is a 17" LCD widescreen tv and I love it. I can type on my huge screen and have my tv in the corner in a little 2" by 3" box. Makes writing essays a bit more fun. The images are really, really clear too. Now this sucker is worth around $700, I think. But the down side to having a killer screen for the computer (that is huge, clear and has PIP too...) is that when you use anybody else's it's pure suffering...:D :o

Our main tv is much bigger, but it's not as clear, so we end up watching all our movies on the computer instead, even if it's tiny.

shannonRN
January 9th, 2006, 04:52 AM
LOL@BMDLover....I agree that a single cartoon seems kind of minor. But when it comes to all of football, baseball and basketball season...well, there was motivation to get another telly. WHich we never use anyway.

I would say, rent "bend it" and watch it sometime when The Simpsons isn't on. Or better yet, rent something good to watch (Typed with a non-judgmental smile on my face...:D)

maddoxies
January 9th, 2006, 12:13 PM
I would say go cheap. Get a smaller one maybe with a DVD built in. Everything will be HD soon and the current TVs will be useless. Atleast with the built in DVD you can watch flicks "off line".

melanie
January 9th, 2006, 04:06 PM
dont buy a new tv, what a waste you have a good working one. my advice is to put on some big booots, kick BF in the backside and tell him a change is as good as a holiday and to get over it. sheesh surely he can miss one repeat episode (although if it was a new episode i can sorta see his point) but still a good kick in the butt never hurt any man if you ask me....

cpietra16
January 9th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Please tell me that if you buy a new TV...your BF gets the 25 year old one;)

chico2
January 9th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Well,here's some good advice from an older girl...we have been married 40yrs,part of the reason we made it this far,is that we each have a TV:D
Hubby and the remote is enough to start thinking divorce(just kidding!)
As"our"anniversary present hubby bought a 47inch,plasma HD TV and I have his older 32inch,which suits me fine.
We meet in the kitchen during commercials:D
Prin,the new plasmas have a lifespan of at least 16 yrs...that's what we were told and read in the paper..

raingirl
January 9th, 2006, 07:38 PM
We have been *considering* getting a tv for a while...a real one actually (our little one is so crappy. Half the time the brightness or colour goes all wonky and you can't get it back.)

Plus, we are huge game players and movie watchers, so were thinking of getting something large that when we play splitscreen, we can actually see what we are doing!

My bf's parents have a insanely large HD flatscreen (might be plasma, I have no idea). Anyway, we snuck over our xbox one weekend when they were away (his dad is convinced that playing games will ruin the screen???) and it was so much FUN! Imagine playing a flight simulator and actually feel like you are there! Cost them like $4000 though! They decided to buy it instead of take a trip home to the philipines!

Then we would bump the tiny one to the bedroom, and the big one to the livingroom. Who knows....

It was a new episode of simpsons too. And you know what? I walked in and he was asleep! Grrr...oh well...

chico2
January 10th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Raingirl,your bf's dad is right,if you play games a lot,do not get a plasma TV,that's the first question our salesman asked us,but we do not,not coordinated enough:D Instead you would get an LCD TV.
I never really bothered much,but watching a program in HD is a HUGE difference:thumbs up

Rick C
January 10th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Get TiVO.

Then you won't need to get a new TV and you can watch whatever you want sandwiched before or after the Simpsons.

And then get hooked on the new Battlestar Galactica to drive him insane.

I don't want to be in the business of giving you relationship advice but Mrs. C and I are always negotiating TV time, usually on a nightly basis. Sounds strange, but she's a bigger hockey fanatic than I am but since we have satellite, many programs I might want to watch as an alternative to hockey are on at different times through the evening so we can usually get something agreed upon.

Also, if you have satellite, you can practically watch The Simpsons and Seinfeld every hour from dusk till dawn. But TiVO is the big thing. . . . . we're gonna get that in a month or so here then paradise will reign.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Prin
January 10th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Also, if you have satellite, you can practically watch The Simpsons and Seinfeld every hour from dusk till dawn.You forgot Friends... :rolleyes:

Can you buy Tivo for Canada? I thought it was an American thing only.. I know you can get PVRs with pretty well all the providers now.

Rick C
January 10th, 2006, 11:49 AM
You forgot Friends... :rolleyes:

Can you buy Tivo for Canada? I thought it was an American thing only.. I know you can get PVRs with pretty well all the providers now.

Ah, I thought they were basically the same thing . . . . . which they kinda, sorta, mostly are.

I'll be getting the PVR thingy in a month or two from StarChoice.

An interesting link comparing TiVo versus PVR in the USA:

http://www.pvrcompare.com/featurechart.html

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Prin
January 10th, 2006, 02:59 PM
ooo buy the extended warranty on the star choice PVR. Star Choice has the deal where if your home has more than one receiver, you have a lifetime guarantee on all receivers, but not the PVR one and apparently it's full of glitches still.

Looking at that chart, I'm glad I'm not in the market... :o

Bushfire2000
January 10th, 2006, 03:18 PM
If it's not your main TV.
Walmart had 14" TV's for $59.99 and "Dora the Explorer","Bratz","Sponge Bob" and "Mickey Mouse"(complete with ears) for $99.99.

I've been wanting a new one since before christmas. We have three. One in the kids room a thirty year old 20" for Gameboy, a 27" in the livingroom for movies (this is the one I want to replace. I can't watch it, it has a subsonic screech that only I can hear) and a twenty five year old 14' in the kitchen that we use most of the time. We also have two receivers for satellite one in the livingroom and one in the kitchen.

Schwinn
January 10th, 2006, 03:24 PM
We're thinking of a new TV. And yes, multiple TVs can save a marriage! Especially when your spouse HATES your favourite shows!

We decided we're going to "go big" when I get the basement finished, (and I actually make real money) and set up a whole home theatre type deal, so we've been debating what to replace the TV my wife uses with. If you want a basic TV, you can get a 27" for under $300 at Best Buy. My advice is going with name brand if you want it to last. We cheaped out at Wal-Mart a few years ago, and the thing has never worked properly (that's the "basement" TV right now).

We looked at a wide-screen, but after further research, it wasn't the deal we thought it was. You know when you watch a wide-screen movie on a regular TV, and you get the lines top and bottom? You have the same issue watching TV shows in regular format on wide-screen, except you get them on the sides (there are other ways around it, for ex stretching the screen, but still the same end result, you miss some screen). Therefore, you 27" widescreen is actually equivalant of about a 22" regular screen. Right now, we're trying to decide if we're going to just replace the one that died, or get a good TV and "bump down" the other TVs in the house. As someone else mentioned, the other problem is that if you get a TV to replace the main one, you'll want to spend some extra dollars. Make sure it has the hook-ups for a DVD player (the players say that you can't hook it up without certain jacks. you can, but that's another story...just need to be creative...and it's a pain), and, at some point, rumour has it you will not be able to get anything but HD and/or digital signals. I've heard different time-frames for this, but I'm sure it's coming just the same.

One last thing--LCD TVs are dropping very rapidly in price. We're hoping to start looking in about a year, and I'm convinced that, compared to today, they'll be cheap. Depending on your price range, you might want to "make do" a little while longer.

chico2
January 10th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Schwinn,we got the 42 inch plasma HD TV+dvd player,surround sound speakers,earphones for $4.000+,but it was our 40th Anniversary"hubby"deserved one:D

Schwinn
January 11th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Schwinn,we got the 42 inch plasma HD TV+dvd player,surround sound speakers,earphones for $4.000+,but it was our 40th Anniversary"hubby"deserved one:D

*drool*Some day...

For now, looks like a "cheapy" 20 incher in the back room as a replacement.

chico2
January 11th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Schwinn,you have a beautiful baby-girl,I am sure an expensive TV is very low on your priority-list.
We are indulging in things we want,since we are now empty-nesters and retired.When my boys were small,we all crowded around the ONE TV in the house:D

Schwinn
January 11th, 2006, 02:48 PM
I'm only thinking of her. I'm thinking the big screen and vibrant colours will help her with her, uh, visual acuity development...yea, that's it. Next, convincing Mrs. Schwinn that XBox will help with motor skills development (my be an easier sell when Gracie gets past the stage where she'll just chew on the joystick...)