Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

kitten with defecation problems

redheadedwitch
October 18th, 2003, 03:20 PM
I have a 7 week old kitten and he keeps getting a soft impaction.....looks like a huge ball in his colon. He strains so hard he becomes very weak. I gave him mild soap and water enema....about 1/2 to 1 cc twice and he was able to defecate. We changed him to a higher fiber food and are encouraging play exercise. He is eating like he's always starved and drinking well but the problem is returning. I'm worried it may be mega colon. But I can't afford to take him to a vet right now. Would a low residue food like Eukanuba be better. I called the vet and he told me to give him some vegetable oil that it is probably a hairball but that made things worse. He just cries when he can't go and the only thing I can find to help is the enemas and I put him a bath tub with enough warm water so his little butt is in it and let him walk and swim around....he doesn't like it but it does seem to help. If it helps to know his history....he is an only kitten and his momma and her kitten from the last batch are the parents....does this have anything to do with it? Could it be an abnormality caused from the inbreeding? I'm really worried about this little guy. His name is Diablo for very good reasons!!:)

Lucky Rescue
October 18th, 2003, 05:06 PM
There is really no way to know what caused this condition in your kitten. Medication and/or surgery may be indicated.

Read about it here. (http://www.vetinfo.com/cmegacol.html)