Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Baby Showers

raingirl
January 8th, 2006, 09:24 AM
I have a question about babyshowers.

When should you have one? Are men invited?

My future SIL is due mid April, so I was thinking of arranging one for early april or late march.

It's the first grandchild for her in-laws (my BF's/her husbands parents), and was think of asking the MIL if she would like to have it at her house as a surprise.

Should we make it an all family one only? Or should I speak with her best friend and get all her friends to come there too?

Is it typical that they are surprises? I know her mother doesn't drive, so we would have to make arrangements to have her picked up (2 cities away) and brought over to the MIL's.

poodletalk
January 8th, 2006, 10:03 AM
I through two babyshowers in my life, first time it was in my sister in laws aunt's condo party room. Men were not invited, we had friends and realitives at the same party. It was fun nothing special.

Second baby shower I through, it was at my house, men were invited. They went downstairs in the basement since the game was on. When it was time to eat, lasagna and pizza they came up stairs and ate with us. Friends and relatives were at the same party. It was more fun this shower, since it wasn't riddled with traditions and it was more lively.

raingirl
January 8th, 2006, 10:27 AM
So, it might be fun just to invite everyone? The inlaws (my bf and her husband) are filipino, so a large family. I bet with all their relatives, and the mom-to-be's friends and her small family, it could be real fun. I will have to take to her best friend and the MIL to arrange the details.

poodletalk
January 8th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Yes, it's more fun to invite everyone at the same time. We were thinking of having two different showers, one for friends and then the other for realtivies but it would have been too expensive and too much work. Throughing a babyshower is ALOT of work. Food preperatios, invitations, people calling and not calling RSVP'ing. If you have it at your house, cleaning up, decorating, etc. Then cleaning up after the shower. Who has the time and energy to do it twice?

Prin
January 8th, 2006, 11:55 AM
I just read this in Anne Landers last week. They said you can have a separate one for the man, but be very understanding to repeat guests. **shrugs**

I've been to three this summer and the best one was one at the dad's mom's house (beautiful house) and it was a diaper party. Everybody had to bring a pack of diapers. By the end of the day, they must have had two vans full. (But you have to specify not only newborn diapers as apparently those don't last long and you won't need 2 million of them...) Diapers also take the pressure off those who can't afford a huge present (you can get smaller, cheaper packs) and those who can will just buy a gift too.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 8th, 2006, 09:54 PM
The showers I have been to have been after the babys born so you can show him off and find out the sex. (but I guess the tell these days) Also not to sound sexist but I've never met a guy thats into baby showers unless its the dad.