Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Winged Migration

shannonRN
January 7th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Have you seen it? It's such an impressive film, and I'm a bird-buff so of course I was enthralled by it when I first saw it about a year ago. It is a visually stunning and very dramatic film.

Well...I got the DVD for Christmas which includes a long "Making of" segment. I will never make the mistake of calling this film a documentary again! The birds in the film were conditioned beginning even before hatching, then imprinted on people hired by the film maker and trained to return to them at the sound of horns and such. Many of the birds were crated and flown around the world to the sites where they wished to film them 'migrating.' Several times it was noted that the birds have minds of their own and some flew off to follow other migrating wild birds...but only a handful were noted to have not returned to the film crew.

I felt really short-changed after learning how this film was made. So much for the film documenting the realities of nature. There was very little "natural" about the filming of these birds.

Lucky Rescue
January 13th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Most nature films are not totally natural, since it could take years to get enough behaviors and scenes wanted.

I started watching "Winged Migration" by accident and so enjoyed the incredible beauty and grace, UNTIL (with no warning) the scene of a duck being shot out of the air and spiralling down to the ground. I was so shocked and upset I burst into tears.:(

How people can get true pleasure and enjoyment out of gunning down these wild creatures is something I will never understand.

chico2
January 13th, 2006, 04:10 PM
I too am an absolute bird-buff and after you described the making of the movie I think I will abstain from watching it.
I am constantly using my binoculars checking out "my"birds at the feeders,reading up on them..
I have the hardest time however to figure out what kind of Hawks are here in the winter looking for food,often grabbing an unfortunate pigeon or dove,in the summer they stay away..
I actually do not really enjoy wildlife movies any more,I always wonder what they do to get the animals to do certain things:sad:

shannonRN
January 14th, 2006, 12:18 AM
Personally I wasn't all that offended by the hunting scenes. It's a reality of life for migrating fowl and I felt it was included only because of that, and was meant to be a shock as much to the viewer as to the bird.

I agree that hawks can be tough to identify; I'm much better with songbirds and fowl. This nifty guy was 'hawking' over our bird feeders in early December but I think he left empty-taloned. Notice the total lack of activity below him/her....

shannonRN
January 14th, 2006, 12:21 AM
He appears to be a broad-winged hawk. Not bad for being photographed through our dirty windows :o

chico2
January 14th, 2006, 07:21 AM
Shannon,that's a great picture!!
I have 3 different sizes coming here,one a small one.I know he is a Kestrel and as I have told Lucky,I had a yellow/black bird much like an Oriole here for weeks and when the Kestrel got him,I cried:sad:
Then I have a midsized Hawk with blueish grey wings and a HUGE Hawk,who picks up doves and pigeons as if they were sparrows.
It's sad to see,but they too need to survive.They are magnificent birds..
"My"4 crows I feed leftovers every day,are great in scaring the Hawks away and alerting the smaller birds,so they can hide,the squirrels freeze in place,it's almost like watching a movie and by watching them,I've learned a lot about their behaviour and what it means.
Hubby says I have too much time on my hands:D

shannonRN
January 15th, 2006, 12:18 AM
I witnessed a red-tailed hawk swoop down and accost a turkey once--a domesticated white one, whatever you call those. He tried and tried to fly off with it but was unable; the hawk left big sweeping feather marks in the snow from beating his wings trying to lift off. In the end, he killed the turkey but did not seem to benefit much from it, judging by the condition of the remains. A shame really, because I've read they will only attempt such a large meal when they are pretty desperate. I have to admit I was pretty fascinated by it. "Fish gotta swim, birds gotta eat." I have to admit I prefer the nice little birdies who eat bugs and seeds though :)

Anyhoo, I'd guess your greyish hawk is probably a Cooper's hawk or a Sharp-shinned hawk. I can only tell the difference between them based on size though. They are also big fans of bird feeders. Can't even guess what your large hawk might be though.