Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dell computers

t.pettet
January 7th, 2006, 12:54 PM
My poor old Windows 98 has to retire very soon. I have a missmatch IBM 98, a hyundai screen and an apollo printer with a sticky (no name) keyboard. I am tempted on a daily basis to cut a hole in the ice and drown it in the river. Received a flyer advertising Dell computers and was wondering what you think of their Dimension 1100 deal. Web site is www.dell.ca/save. Thanks for all your input.

StaceyB
January 7th, 2006, 01:17 PM
I bought mine from MDG with the extended waranty. I have had no problems with them.

shannonRN
January 7th, 2006, 01:20 PM
I'm not really qualified to comment on anything computer-related, LOL. I'm in a similar spot where it's about time to move past this almost-dinosaur and get something newer but I guess I'll wait until it completely craps out. One thing I have been told however is that Dell makes eMachines and you can often find the same or better deals on eMachines without having to wait (Dell only does internet order I guess??) I've been looking at an eMachine t5010 package, but like I said...I've backed up my files and I'm just waiting for this one to hiss its last byte.

StaceyB
January 7th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Are you sure it is the hard drive and not the fans.

Schwinn
January 7th, 2006, 01:25 PM
A lot of "techie"-type people slag on Dells, but the truth is, if your someone who wants a computer out of the box, and you will probably never try to upgrade or reconfigure your hardware, they're a good deal. They aren't impossible to upgrade, but they are a huge pain. They have integrated components, meaning that all the boards like sound card and video card are part of the mother board. Again, depending on how you use your computer, this may never be an issue.

As an example, my mother-in-law just bought one from Best Buy.ca. I called my buddy who works for them, and his first reaction was, "It's a piece of junk". Then I explained that my mother-in-law was using it, and proabably wouldn't be playing Grand Theft Auto or going online to play Everquest anytime soon. "Oh, yea, it's a good deal then."

I bought an e-Machine from Best Buy a couple of years ago, and since then I've swapped out a card or two. On the one hand, you could argue that it wasn't such a good deal since I had to upgrade, or on the other hand, it WAS a good deal because I don't need a 400 jigameg hard drive, or 5 billiion times speed DVD. I bought a basic machine with a good processor, and only bought what I needed to upgrade.

So, to summarize, if you're looking for a basic machine, and you don't plan on doing a lot of upgrades, or you're not into gaming, it's a good machine. It just depends on what you want it to do. (Best Buy has some good deals right now, too)

shannonRN
January 7th, 2006, 01:33 PM
LOL, yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the hard drive. The processor light stays on, the screen freezes for 10-15 seconds, and from the tower come the sounds "hiissssssssssssssssss....CLUNK, click." After the 'click' everything un-freezes and goes back to running like normal. Normal being not so great to begin with. At any rate, the fans never made any sounds like that before.

twodogsandacat
January 7th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Actually Gateway acquired eMachines almost two years ago. Gateway was in a downward spiral and eMachines was on an upward climb. Since then the reliability of eMachines has steadily improved. Future shop had a deal (almost a giveaway) on them a year back and my father purchased one. It needed an over the counter memory upgrade (can never have too much memory) and it was a very reliable machine. It recently had a DVD burner installed in it and my brother now has it.

Dell – Love them for desktops. A Dell can usually be purchased cheaper than you could build one yourself. Last year I recommended them to more than one person who asked me to build a machine for them. I no longer need the business and only if somebody wants an extremely high-end machine for specific purposes will I build a machine to their specs not mine – if they know what they want. All the users of the Dells are very happy.

As for Gateway being built by Dell, not likely as they are direct competitors however it could very well be that the same plant that produces system boards and memory components for Dell also produces them for eMachines and at the end of the day the silk screening on the boards is all that really changes. If you look at the components on many low and mid range machines you will find the same chipsets used and often the same video and sound components. Also the industry moved to a common form factor years ago and once you have the machine many components (memory (as long as they are the same bus speed and type), drives) are interchangeable something that owners of IBM machines had a real issue with back in the Aptiva days.
The onboard components like video and sound can be disabled if you need to put a higher end card in later.

So why one over the other…warranty. This is not only the length of the warranty but the method of warranty. For years this was Dells downfall if they needed to service the machine. They did contract IBM for a while due to the coverage IBM had but that agreement has since ended. However they now have agreements in place with a lot of independent companies and a Dell tech is probably in your area – especially in major cities. Driving fifty miles to drop you machine off was a real pain for some people. EMachines used to require you paying the shipping one way and then waiting for the repaired machine to come back. Today Future Shop, Best Buy and Staples all have repair centres in their stores and are usually authorized to repair all the brands they sell.

For surfing the net and email you don’t need much but for gaming and video editing you will need more than the basic ‘deal’.

Here is a recent PCWorld article on the subject: http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,112915,pg,8,00.asp

Overall - Dells are awesome.

BTW Warranty:
Also remember that warranty is the machine and the original software. Highly customizing your machine or loading a ton of software on it, viruses and spy ware are not warranty items. Usually the most support you will get for this is …..reload the factory CD (and lose all you have loaded meaning you will spend days getting your machine back into working order).
Having been certified to service all the major brands (IBM, Compaq, HP and Toshiba) I know that some people have expectations that nobody can meet and this is especially true of the consumer end while the business end know that what went wrong was really their issue not the vendors.

Jazz&Cricket
January 7th, 2006, 01:53 PM
I have 2 Dell computers at home and we run all Dell computers at work. We've had no problems with the machines at work.I did have a quirky problem with my monitor at home. I called on the LAST day of my 1 year warranty. The Dell people spent a lot of time on the phone with me, and when we couldn't really figure out the problem that way, a Dell technician showed up at my home. Considering I live in the middle of nowhere, that was good customer service. To make a long story short, they replaced my mother board (which we found out later was not the problem) and when it was determined that I had a defective monitor, I received a new one the next day. All at no cost.
The machines come with virtually all the software you need esp. for home use. The nice thing about Dell, is that you really can custom build your machine, so you can get all the bells and whistles for gaming, etc. Just be aware, that there is normally a shipping charge of $100 to $125 but you can get a complete print out when you use Dell's on-line purchasing. And, you can compare different models so you can get what you want for the price you are willing to pay.
Since I live a good distance from places where I can shop for computers, Dell worked really well for me. That might not be the case if you're in a place where computer stores compete for your business.

twodogsandacat
January 7th, 2006, 01:59 PM
ASK for free shipping and let them know a competitor has offered it, once they have you on the phone they will make deals to keep you there.

I once called in to cancel a Dell laptop order and used the excuse that I was switching to a Desktop deal that just arrived in my email with free shipping (also Dell)...they gave me free shipping on the laptop.

raingirl
January 7th, 2006, 02:19 PM
I would scrap Dell and go with MDG. You will get way more for the same price. With Dell you pay for the name and service. MDG is a smaller company and way better.

Three people I know have bought MDG systems inthe last year for amazing prices. Flat screen LCD, free digital cameras, free printers, free wireless routers and hookups, all for under $600.00...they were good deals!

Too bad my laptop is fine or I would buy an MDG for playing games on (my video card isn't up to speed for new games and you can't really upgrade a laptop...oh well, I guess sims2 will have to wait a year or two until I get a new puter).

With the Dell system you indicated there, you have to pay extra for a flat screen, it has a crap video and sound card (won't be able to play any good games, or have good sound if watching a DVD) and it only has a 1 year warrenty. There is no productivity software (word processor, office, etc), regular CD burner, DVD watching on, no DVD burning, they are making you pay for Adobe 6.0 (which is find if you make PDF's, but do you really need it? Also, Adobe 7.0 is already out, so why pay for something obselete?). It says the printer is included in the price, but when you click on "add to cart", it's actually $49 added on to the system price, and there is no option to remove it.

The cheapest one at MDG.ca has windows Media centre edition (better than the plain home edition the other comes with as it manages photoes and other media better), it has a DVD burner, 17 inch LCD moniter, 3D audio and video (ungradable too!), plus free printer, digital camera, and all kinds of other stuff that would cost you way more if you did it at dell.

StaceyB
January 7th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Almost 2 years ago I bought 2 computers from MDG, a laptop and a desktop. Both of them have been good and their service has also been good. Any time I had brought them in it is fixed asap with no charge as I bought the extended waranty. I don't usually buy the extra waranty but for the computers I did. I had a fan replaced in the desktop and with the laptop something went wrong with one of the components and was also replaced. There has been no run around with them and there is a store location close by so I don't have to send them in.

Lucky Rescue
January 7th, 2006, 03:45 PM
I"m on my second EMachine and have no complaints. I got a good deal at Futureshop and had it delivered to my door quickly.:)

glasslass
January 8th, 2006, 03:53 PM
At the community college where I work we have over 2000 units of Dell Optiplex GX280 on a 3 year lease contract. In another year we'll begin replacing them with new machines. They get pretty heavy usage in the computer labs. I don't have one yet. When the current ones get replaced, they'll trickle down to the staff. :sad:

gdamadg
January 8th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Well as the resident geek and with much experience with all makes referred to, here is my two cents.

Dell - At the community college where I work we have over 2000 units of Dell Optiplex GX280 on a 3 year lease contract. If you are gonna buy mass quantity for a large uniformed network, a really good idea. Get a better deal when you buy more and often throw in extra's cheap. A lot of the federal government purchases from Dell, I have a couple hundred at work myself that I manage.

E-Machine - Very good entry level machine, if your not looking for a lot and going to do the basics with it. You can upgrade, but after a bit of time, it becomes a bit of a hassle.

MDG - Probably your best choice. Gives you the best quality and choice to begin with and at a reasonable price. They offer a wide variety, from entry level basic computing to high end gaming.

As for going to Best Buy, if you are not very knowledgable and want to look at a good variety of brands, it's a good place to start. The staff are usually know what they are talking about and not too pushy.

CyberKitten
January 8th, 2006, 10:45 PM
I have 2 Dell Inspirons - laptops, one for work, one for home and I love them. Great service too which is gold. It is not just the price one muct take into account but how much service you get. I have had to call them a few times and service weas better thanfor my desktops which are HP and Compaq's. Guess which I will buiy for my next desktop network, lol

I was thinking of Joey's mommy when I had to call Dell the other day. I bought a new Dell Axim Pocket PC - had a Casio which was great but this Pocket PC is wonderful, connects online, has a little kbd (like my Blackberry for work), serves both as a an MP3 player and a speech MP3 transcriber. Plus I can read books on it, The kbd arrived but no Axim which is why I called and I was ready to scream - but did not - told the fellow on the line it was not his fault but could he please reroute it to my office since they had to come to my home. However, he could not do that (ughh!!) but I was polite and said I'll figure out something. The something is I live in the Maritimes and well, you know how we are- one of my closest friends is living with a woman whose sister once dated the guy who drives for Puralator, o =ne phone call later, he will deliver it to my office, lol Such are the joys of Maritime life - or having a large network, lol

But so far, my Dells have been excellent!! HP was horrible - tho they did eventually replace a lemmon but it took 2 yrs and lots pf work!! I hated the HP-Comp merge.

Prin
January 9th, 2006, 02:02 AM
I have a dell dimension something (it's the middle one...:o - I can whip out numbers but I don't know what they mean- 512, 40, 2.8...). I have the worst luck with these things though and I've had to call customer service several times. Their customer service is pretty crappy for regular, non-business people. I swear one guy on the other end never saw a computer. One guy actually told me to take apart my computer. I know jack about computers and here I was with it all open in pieces. I kept asking "Are you serious?" The next guy, when my mouse wasn't working, told me to slow down my mouse speed (to the point where it took about 30 seconds to go from one side of the screen to the other) and said that that should fix my problem. :rolleyes:

In the end, I wrote a letter to Mr Dell, and now I have my own personal help guy from the prez's office (so they say). But he's great.:)

So ya, Dell is good now.:D

Oh and beware of the sales. Sometimes, it's cheaper to get the cheapest computer and upgrade everything, and other times it's cheaper to get the biggest and downgrade...

JDG
January 9th, 2006, 09:58 AM
I have a dell inspiron 6000

I got it through my work purchase plan, and got it pretty tricked out that I would doubt I'd need to upgrade it anyways.

The only thing I spent money on - the extended warranty (5 year unconditional)

As I said I got it through work, so I got shipping, and upgraded screen, more memory, and a bag thrown in. . . .

jawert1
January 9th, 2006, 11:36 AM
I've never heard of MDG so not qualified to comment, but my company uses Dell alone for normal usage machines (we use other stuff for the large servers and what not) and honestly, my Dell laptop has run things that the specs say it shouldn't. I've owned IBM's in the past, built my own and hands down, my next computer will be a Dell. While yes you're paying for a name, you're also getting FULL support and warranties on everything, which these days is invaluable in the world of pay support or the sanity of your relatives who have to fix their 16 year old cousin's addiction to Kazaa, but I digress (still twitching from that one) :D

jjgeonerd
January 9th, 2006, 01:15 PM
I like Dells. My work and home computers are both Dells and I haven't had a problem. There are probably cheaper and maybe better options, but Dell seems to have good customer support and their computers are pretty much ready to go out of the box.

My only complaint is they load a bunch of trial software that bugs you (such as photo software). I just went and uninstalled anything I wasn't interested in when I first got the computer and everything has been good.

jawert1
January 9th, 2006, 03:03 PM
One other thing to note if you do decide on getting a Dell is make SURE that when it arrives, you activate your pre-installed anti-virus (usually Norton) and sadly it will cost you for the updates (the package part is merely the purchase of the software - not the service). It will save your sanity I promise :)

doggy lover
January 10th, 2006, 06:35 PM
I bought a dell dimension about 2 years ago and for what I use it for it works fine, I never had any problems so far.:fingerscr