Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Strange scratching

vfrohloff
January 7th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Benson is my newest cat and he is exhibiting a behavior I have never seen in my 33 years of owning cats. He scratches the floor with his front paws right in front of the water dish. He does this for about 30 seconds and then has his drink of water. I know he is in good health as I rescued him just a few weeks ago from the vet and they did a thorough exam on him before they sent him home with me. He is declawed, could this have something to do with it? I have never owned a declawed cat before so I don't know if they have any strange behaviors related to their declawing? Has anyone ever seen this before?

Lucky Rescue
January 7th, 2006, 02:47 PM
I've seen this behavior many times, both in front of the water and the food bowl.

Don't worry about it! It's just a left over instinct to dig to clearer water and doesn't mean anything is wrong.:)

trippincherri
January 7th, 2006, 02:52 PM
I have 2 declawed cats, and they don't usually exhibit any different behaviours then their fully clawed sister.
And yes that is all he is doing is revealing/burying his food and water. My cats do this after I give them wet cat food and even sometimes AFTER they come out of their litter box on the outside of the box.
Very normal.