-->

Homeless in Winter

Pages : [1] 2

catsnatcher-CDN
January 7th, 2006, 10:42 AM
It's very cold in Quebec during winter

badger
January 7th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Would they come inside if offered the opportunity or are they just flat-out feral? I have one coming two and three times a day and I just shovel as much food into him as I can. It's gotten to the point where sometimes he will actually share the porch with me, instead of bolting. If there is sun, he curls up on a shelf right against the window. His infected eye has not really improved; he may already be blind on that side. Poor thing, but for the moment I have no room.

cpietra16
January 7th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Badger,I know it might be unethical, but is there a way of getting some antibiotics in his food. At least it may help the infection somewhat...that eye looks awful.

poodletalk
January 7th, 2006, 01:55 PM
so sad, this would make a great story for a newspaper! Have you ever thought of contacting the Gazette? or The Suburban. If you need contact info let me know.

catsnatcher-CDN
January 7th, 2006, 02:03 PM
They were born outside. They're skiddish but they purr and roll around when they see me coming. The two balck and the Maincoon let me pet them and scratch their bellies.

The two calicos are completely feral. They don't run away or hiss but they don't let me touch them.

But the 2 black cats and Maincoon, I think can adjust to an indoor life. When I got them fixed, my vet said they have very good potential to adjust.

chico2
January 7th, 2006, 02:20 PM
OMG,what a sad situation,breaks your heart..:sad:
The only good is at least they get food from you good people,empty tummies makes it even colder outside.
Badger,is there not any no-kill organization that could trap this poor cat,his eye must be very sore.If he seems ok with you around,maybe he is not feral,just abandonned and frightened?
I used to put antibiotics in my Sammys food,crushed up,the only way I could give it to him,he too had a bad eye,but not like this poor guy:sad:

cpietra16
January 7th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Catsnatcher..do they have some kind of shelter...I can help to make some kind of shelter or atleast donate the insulation. If I can get someone to adopt my 2 foster sisters, I would Like to atleast get two of them inside. I'll keep you posted. I am looking around for a good home for both Kirby and Firby, and hope its soon because they sure grow on you:D

catsnatcher-CDN
January 7th, 2006, 04:27 PM
CPietra,

Thank you for all your help. I have a box with hay inside and have insulted the bottom of the balcony as much as I can.

The Maincoon and two black cats are siblings. The Maincoon and one black cat are a female and will be the easiest to tame/adjust. The maincoon is missing the tip of her ear to frostbite.They'll be about 3 years old next year and have spent all their lives outside. It would be quite a challenge to place them since they probably won't be lap cats for a few months.

I wouldn't want them to be placed where I could not track or ensure their well-being since you never know with some.

Do you have any experience with ferals?

Again thanks for trying. They had so much bad luck.

chico2
January 7th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Yes,but they were lucky the day you found them:love:
The 2 black ones are carboncopies of my Chico..
I guess you hear it all the time,"if only I could take them,but.."
I would love to have the beautiful maine coon,or the wounded orange cat,show them how good life could be...but:sad

heather331
January 7th, 2006, 07:05 PM
those poor babies!!! :sad: at my old apartment i had feral cats like that. they wouldnt let me pet them but they would share the porch with me and would follow me from my car in the parking lot to my apartment and wait for me to feed them. they often jumped up on the ledge of my window. my cats would be looking at them from the inside. sometimes they would scatch the window trying to fight each other through the glass. it was funny!

the main coone in the picture looks like my Maui....

cpietra16
January 7th, 2006, 09:14 PM
catsnatcher...yes I have experience with Ferals...those were the only cats that I would try to catch and release on Vancouver Island. I know the patience and time involved. You work on their line and hope for their trust.

jiorji
January 8th, 2006, 01:19 AM
aww that's sad. I hate to see lonely homeless animals. I think you should try catching them and taking them somewhere to a shelter so they can get a chance to be with a family. My kitten was a feral and she's doing very well as a spoiled apartment cat. Maybe someone who's willing to offer them indoor and outdoor activities would be suited to take care of your ferals.

side note....I went to visit my parents over the holidays and the feral cat that happens to be my Twiggy's daddy came around to beg for food. Poor baby was waiting by the window. I don't know what happened to Twiggy's mom. She wasn't around. She might've died, as she wasn't in the best condition in the summer.:sad: My parents don't feed the ferals anymore.:mad:

They think that stray animal problems just disappear if you ignore them, and then they'll let you catch them when you feel like it.:rolleyes: right.....

catsnatcher-CDN
January 9th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Thanks Jiori,

I've called all the shelters and they are absolutely too full to be able to do anything. I call every few months just in case their answer becomes a yes but they have too little funding and too many strays to be able to do anything for these kitties.

jiorji
January 9th, 2006, 11:23 PM
isn't there a way you can find someone who's willing to adopt at least one of them? I assume it would be hard, but worth a try.

when i caught my (once feral) kitten, no shelters were free either and she decided she wanted to stay with me. I guess i'm good enough for her :D

all furries deserve a warm bed and a human to wake up at 5 am for hugs. :love:

catsnatcher-CDN
January 10th, 2006, 10:29 AM
I haven't found anyone willing to adopt a two year old feral cat. I've been trying to get them off the streets for quite some time actually. It's very hard when they are not kittens and nearly impossible when they are not instant lap cats.

cpietra16
January 10th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Catsnatcher..as soon as I find someone for my fosters I will have room for 2 or 3 cats...I will keep you posted.

chico2
January 10th, 2006, 05:03 PM
CPietra,that would be wonderful,I wish the orange cat with the bad eye,whom Badger is feeding,could get out of the cold,but I guess there are thousands who do:sad:
Here we don't have any snow and tomorrow it's supposed to be +8C,but I guess it's much colder and snowier in Quebec..:sad:

Rick C
January 11th, 2006, 10:31 AM
I haven't found anyone willing to adopt a two year old feral cat. I've been trying to get them off the streets for quite some time actually. It's very hard when they are not kittens and nearly impossible when they are not instant lap cats.

We have two feral cats - now indoor cats.

Although they're very skittish, one has adopted my wife as her human and is definitely a lap cat with her . . . . . but I've picked up the cat only once in five years. It wants nothing to do with me and won't let me get near.

The other is skittish and running away most of the time but when you're sitting down she'll come up and want to be petted and I can pick her up once in a while.

Not your normal domesticated cats though.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

catsnatcher-CDN
January 12th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Thanks Rick C,

I'm hopefull that with a little work and much patience, these cats will adjust to an indoor life. They're friendly with us and with other cats as well but have never had the opportunity to be fully socialized.

They've been struggling outdoors for quite a while now.
Cpietra is the first to offer a place for them and the opportunity for socialization.

Two of five are not socialized (but fixed and vaccinated) and would do better in a heated, well taken care of barn with caring farmers. But I live in the city and don't know any farmers or even how to get them to a safe place.

If only the winters weren't so horrible, it wouldn't be as bad seeing them outside all the time.

Inverness
January 14th, 2006, 07:40 PM
catsnatcher-CDN: if you are willing to place the 2 most feral ones as outside cats, I am willing to take them. I am going to a friend's tomorrow and I can pick up everything I need to build a very well insulated Winter shelter (she has quite a few backstreet feral cats rescued from Montreal and they have quite a palace over there). If you want, I can take pictures of the wooden area behind my house where I can build the shelter and then you can decide (or you can come and see for yourself). I have an industrial quality infrared light to heat the shelter and I can make sure they have food and water twice a day. Unfortunately, I cannot take anymore indoors cats - my family is MORE than complete. The only thing that worries me is that there is no way to make sure the cats will actually stay around when we move them, although they would likely stay where there is heat and food. Putting a collar onto them makes me uneasy as the more solid ones would not be safe and the quick release they would lose in no time. I guess we'd have to trust destiny a little with this. What do you think ?

cpietra16
January 14th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Inverness..WOuld you be able to keep them in for just a couple of months that way you are sure they will stay around and not try to find their way home?

Inverness
January 14th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Unfortunately, I have absolutely no room inside to make a proper introduction. I would need to keep the new cats in a large crate so they can get to know mine and I have no space at all. The only other option I have is to use my outdoor cat run to keep them safe for a while (build the Winter shelter in there), but it's a bit of a nightmare to keep it accessible in the Winter. It's a big run, about 12 X 20, but I don't know if I can even get the door open with all the snow... I don't use it in the Winter. Hum... I don't know...

catsnatcher-CDN
January 15th, 2006, 11:08 AM
catsnatcher-CDN: if you are willing to place the 2 most feral ones as outside cats, I am willing to take them. I am going to a friend's tomorrow and I can pick up everything I need to build a very well insulated Winter shelter (she has quite a few backstreet feral cats rescued from Montreal and they have quite a palace over there). If you want, I can take pictures of the wooden area behind my house where I can build the shelter and then you can decide (or you can come and see for yourself). I have an industrial quality infrared light to heat the shelter and I can make sure they have food and water twice a day. Unfortunately, I cannot take anymore indoors cats - my family is MORE than complete. The only thing that worries me is that there is no way to make sure the cats will actually stay around when we move them, although they would likely stay where there is heat and food. Putting a collar onto them makes me uneasy as the more solid ones would not be safe and the quick release they would lose in no time. I guess we'd have to trust destiny a little with this. What do you think ?

Thanks Inverness, I am willing to leave the two most ferals outside in exchange for guaranteed warmth and 2 regular meals. Unfortunately, unless they are contained for a few months in their new location, they will most certainly escape and try to find their way back here.

The only alternative I can think of for the most feral is a responsible farmer with a heated barn who would be able to keep an eye out for their well-being and not just keep them handy as starving mice chasers.

I went to feed them under the balcony today and realized that the wind is trapping under there. So I put up a makeshift door with a vinyl plastic to stop the wind.

Thelma and Louise are the two ferals:

Inverness
January 16th, 2006, 05:26 PM
The only alternative I can think of for the most feral is a responsible farmer with a heated barn who would be able to keep an eye out for their well-being and not just keep them handy as starving mice chasers.

The only problem is that we've kinda "used up" all the available spots with responsible farmers in our area... I don't know anymore... :sorry:

It was sooo cold last night, I thought of those poor cats stuck outside. :(

At least, they have the shelter and food you provide. If you wanted to make a more insulated shelter for them (but maybe you know about this already), you could use big plastic storage boxes that you insulate with 1.5/2 inches of styrofoam sheets on all sides, bottom and top. You cut a door with an X-acto and position them so that the wind does not enter through the door. It's easy to hide under a balcony...

chico2
January 17th, 2006, 08:52 AM
IMO,I think the feral cats are probably better off where they are now,moving them to another outdoor area,could be a disaster in this cold,with them trying to find their way back to their familiar area,but I know you all know that already.
I often wonder what makes a cat feral,being born wild?being abandonned?being abused?
"My"George whom I fed for 3 yrs twice a day,although I spoke to him softly,tried to coax him to come to me,would run if I came closer,would not let me touch him..:sad:
Cats are smart,why could he not sense I would do him no harm,after 3 yrs:confused:

catsnatcher-CDN
January 17th, 2006, 09:45 AM
The weather is hitting them hard. I've set up a make shift shelter for them but I'm pushing my luck. It's not my balcony and my landlords live downstairs. They are super p*&&*ed about the cats being there to begin with, so everyday I push my luck one more day. I even have to hide it from my neighbors because they complained. :sad:

Sometimes I come home late at night and see them crossing the street or walking down the sidewalk and it freaks me out because my street is very busy and a bit dangerous. I call them and they come running back into the backyard.

Chico2,

You're right that ideally, the 2 feral ones should be left where they are so that they don't try to escape their new location. But I won't live here long and even while I'm here, this neighborhood is not the safest place for them and my landlords don't want me taking care of the cats.

The maincoon and 2 black cats have a better chance of adapting to an indoor environment since they purr and roll around when they see us coming.

Cats become feral when they grow up without any human contact. It would be the same for dogs born in the wild without any exposure to humans...As adults, they don't trust the unknown and feel like they have to defend themselves.

badger
January 17th, 2006, 10:42 AM
I feel for you, catsnatcher, having had problems with my neighbours as well. I've decided it is THEY who are the freaks, not me. I assert my rights to everything on my lease and then a little bit more, strategically, like putting out food at night. However, when there's several cats, and they all spray - and sometimes fight - it can get a bit awkward...
Luckily my landlord does not live on the premises and never comes here.
I've set up shelters in the alley and had them torn apart. So far this year, there don't seem to be any cats using the locker on my back porch which I always organize for them in the winter. I guess it doesn't rate!
We do our best, catsnatcher, knowing that we're up against something which is probably not solvable.
As for feral-ness, I think temperament must play a part, along with socialization, etc. The meanest cat on the alley, a magnificent tabby, has a home (although he's outside a great deal), is well-fed and tagged; but he is the most aggressive cat I have ever met, completely unapproachable (and I am reasonably brave/stupid around most animals). So along with the lack of socialization, there is another, random element.

cpietra16
January 17th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Hey catsnatcher I am still working on it..and I think even the most feral cat can't resist a warm home ..at least for the winter. Some ferals can be quite adaptable...and only you can decide who could make it and couldn't in a new environment. There are two schools of thoughts...at least with cougars and bears....to capture and rehome; for some cougars is a death certificate because each territory can only feed one cougar and once another is placed there, then one will starve. The others believe that cougars and bears can adapt or move on and claim other territories.I am not saying its the same for cats but animal instinct is always the same...anyway moving them will alway be a gamble and besides I would rather see them face death naturally than hit by a car. But having said that I would rather see them grow old and gray:)

chico2
January 17th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Catsnatcher,it is just so sad and not a darn thing I can do about it:sad:
When are you moving??I guess that would be the end of those two girls..
It must be very,very frustrating and upsetting,but kudos to you for doing what you can:love:
Badger,what about the orange kitty,any news??

catsnatcher-CDN
January 18th, 2006, 10:42 AM
@&^%$#!!!!

It's all flooded beneath the balcony today! The kitties are now sitting on top of the shelters!

cpietra16
January 18th, 2006, 11:35 AM
I really hope they will be ok. If I had a garage this would not have been a problem...:mad: I just don't have enough rooms in this house....Let me see if I can round up friends that can atleast foster them until something comes up...will be getting back to you...:fingerscr

catsnatcher-CDN
January 18th, 2006, 11:46 AM
I know you're trying hard cpietra, thank you.

Two of them have been missing for the last 3 days....

cpietra16
January 18th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Oh No which ones???:(

catsnatcher-CDN
January 18th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Charlie (black cat) and Thelma, one of the ferals

catsnatcher-CDN
January 18th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Here's Thelma

poodletalk
January 18th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Have they ever disappeared before? Maybe they are just hiding because of the bad weather?

catsnatcher-CDN
January 18th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Usually, on the worst days, on most days, they hide under my balcony which tells me there's no better place for them. Puma use to hide and give birth in a hole in a tree 3 stories high. 5 week old kitties would fall out of the tree every few months. since her operation, She doesn't go there anymore and squirrels have moved in.

Thelma comes and goes...she is the least tamed. But Charlie sticks around.
I always feed them at the same time everyday and have a special whistle that they answer to.

Within the hour of their feeding, they're usually waiting on the stairs for me or under the balcony but if they aren't, I whistle the special whistle and they come running. But Charlie hasn't been around the last 3 days (we call him Charlie because he's the only male and he watches over his 4 other angels).

I know it's inevitable that something will happen to them. I just don't know which one and when. I think it was a big mistake taming Tiger, Puma and Charlie. I realized this too late.

For their own protection, I don't bother taming Thelma and Louise.

cpietra16
January 18th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Have you checked the SPCA...could someone have taken him in ...would he go to anyone??? I hate the unknown...this is really upsetting.

catsnatcher-CDN
January 18th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Thank you for sharing in my panic, cpietra. It's how feel most of the time when I don't see one of them under my balcony.

There's no way I can call the SPCA for so many reason.

1. he is a black cat among hundreds of black cats.
2. He is a stray among so many in my district
3. he has no collar, no distinctive feature
4. because he is semi-feral, he will go NUTS in an enclosed cage (which I've seen first hand) and won't survive ten minutes at the SPCA.
5. Most importantly, I don't want the SPCA roaming my neighborhood. I don't want to criticize their hard work or minimize the tough decision they have to make, but the last thing I want is their van pulling up in my alley. Tiger, Puma and Charlie would be the easiest to catch, the first to go and the most impossible to adopt and we know that formula guarantees them only one fate.

I can guarantee noone will take him in. It's not that kind of neighborhood. And stray cats are not the priority here where most have to think of their own security and survival.

chico2
January 18th, 2006, 02:47 PM
What a terrible situation,I can soo understand how you feel.
I don't think I could deal with all this cat-misery,I would be climbing the walls.
I hope Charlie finds his way back and that nothing has happened to him,my Chico looks just like your Charlie,a carbon copy:sad:
I am happy there are people like you guys who care,but it seems it just is never enough,one sad story after the other:sad: no end.
I wish I had a magic wand to make all these wonderful cats/kittens get a warm loving home.
But a great big hug to you and others for helping these beautiful sad little creatures.:grouphug:

cpietra16
January 18th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Please keep me posted. I will hope for the best.

cpietra16
January 19th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Catsnatcher, I was looking thru the SPCA 24/7 web site and saw a few cats that looked like Thelma..now I know she's feral but I always want to hope for the best ...:fingerscr . There is one that was found in your neck of the woods and they say she may be pregnant...but they also thought that my Tess was a senior and she turned out to be 3 years old...they make mistakes...

cpietra16
January 19th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Here's Thelma
could they be the same???

chico2
January 20th, 2006, 08:27 AM
She looks a little darker than Thelma,but then again,you never know..
Would the SPCA bother with a pic,if the cat is feral and probably deemed unadoptable?
After all they killed a couple of Calico kittens,not feral to the same extent and probably hundreds more.
I hope both Thelma and Charlie have returned by now:fingerscr

cpietra16
January 20th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Chico...they have this cat listed as found...so maybe I was hoping that they will try to find the owner before they put her down, if she were unadoptable. I realize that it is darker, but it could also be the lighting...I know that its a long shot but miracles have been known to happen

catsnatcher-CDN
January 20th, 2006, 11:08 AM
They're all back today!

Here's Charlie and Thelma today

catsnatcher-CDN
January 20th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Here's Tiger, the Maincoon

catsnatcher-CDN
January 20th, 2006, 11:12 AM
This is where they live.

I put planks so that they can walk and eat on the ground because they were stuck on top of all the objects since the balcony flooded. I raised their food up also so it won't flood.

cpietra16
January 20th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Oh thank you for letting us know...It was driving me crazy not knowing. I have the word out and I hope to have answers soon. Have you tried contacting Canine14, she was very helpful with Tess....just another avenue:fingerscr

chico2
January 20th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Catsnatcher,that's wonderful news,even better news would be if someone,somewhere could bring them inside.
I know what you are doing for them,probably saved their lives this winter and for that you are a kitty:angel:
They are all beautiful,but Tiger really tugs at my heartstrings,I sooo wish I could have him.
I had a cat just like him,his name was Tigger,he unfortunately only lived to be 3 yrs old:sad:
I see you have lots of snow,which makes it worse,here we had springweather today with +12C and no snow at all,just mud.
What will happen to the cats when you move?? They will more than likely stick around waiting for you to feed them:sad:

cpietra16
January 25th, 2006, 08:01 PM
I thought I would go back to your thread instead of highjacking Badgers:o
I hate to think this way but when you move out, I would rather see them put down humanely than live outside thinking they will have a place that will provide them food. The next people moving in may not be as loving towards cats. I have a feeling that the SPCA will be called in they would be put down anyway...would it be possible to have them adopted to people outside Quebec...would you be willing to have someone take them in but keep them as outdoor cats?

happycats
January 25th, 2006, 08:18 PM
I know it's a long shot, but I saw this lost cat listing, and it looks a bit like Tiger. http://www.canadastrays.com/search/details.asp?id=1106&prov=QC&type=cat

And maybe this is Charlie
LOST CAT!

My cat Saphir left my appartment April 29th and has not been seen since. He left from the back
door into the alley way between Lorne av and Aylmer st.He's black with yellow eyes and weighs about 15 pounds. If you look at his fur closely you can notice some white hairs, as well as a little white patch on the lower front of his neck. He's very friendly and enjoys people. Please call: 514-378-7467 in the evenings or email me at:lostblackcat@primus.ca if you have found/seen him. My other cat and I miss him much.

04-29-05

catsnatcher-CDN
January 25th, 2006, 09:27 PM
hope you find your kitty, happycats. The lost cat looks exactly like Tiger except that Tiger has lost the tip of her ear to frostbite and has been here since she was 6 months old.

Cpietra,

I see your point but I couldn't euthanize these cats. I wouldn't have the heart. They are healthy and so sweet. I just couldn't....

The problem with keeping them as outdoor cats elsewhere is that they have to remain enclosed for at least 6 months because they will try to come back here.

happycats
January 25th, 2006, 09:29 PM
hope you find your kitty, happycats.

Cpietra,

I see your point but I couldn't euthanize these cats. I wouldn't have the heart. They are healthy and so sweet. I just couldn't....

The problem with keeping them as outdoor cats elsewhere is that they have to remain enclosed for at least 6 months because they will try to come back here.

Thats' a posting (by someone else) for a lost cat. THe first looks like your tiger, and the second sounds like your Charlie

catsnatcher-CDN
January 25th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Oh Sorry happycats. I thought it was your post. :o

These cats have been here in the alley since they were six months. They've never been adopted by anyone.

happycats
January 25th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Oh Sorry happycats. I thought it was your post. :o

These cats have been here in the alley since they were six months. They've never been adopted by anyone.

I'm sorry:o , those poor babies!! How sad! Maybe you can find a good farmer who would be able to take these guys on?

I know how you feel, as I looked after a stray for a year, before finding a good home for her, so please don;t give up hope, sometimes it just takes time ( I know with your situation time isn't on your side) If you move would you be able to take them with you?

xixvnajlavxix
January 31st, 2006, 02:44 AM
Catsnatcher-
Its such a shame you don't live around here(Idaho.) My Aunt has a pretty good size farm out here, and last year her kittens died before they had a chance to grow up (Genetics on them weren't the greatest.) Theres so many people here that want and need cats. With me and my mom rescuing cats, we've placed well over thirty in farms and houses all over Idaho, and we've only ever had to take in one ourselves. (He was too cute to give away.)
If there was any way you could bring him to the states, which I serious doubt, there are more then plenty of homes that are eager to take in any of them.

catsnatcher-CDN
January 31st, 2006, 05:43 PM
Thanks Xix,

You're too far out west, but thanks for the offer! I wish we had your problem of 'lack of cats' here in Quebec!! If only you really knew how bad it was here...

cpietra16
February 1st, 2006, 03:40 PM
Catsnatcher- Just to update on the farm... he hasn't said no yet:fingerscr He needs to think it through as he just got 2 other cats given to him to live on his farm...they are declawed so they have to be indoors.
Your 2 ferals cats will have to stay inside the home for awhile so that they don't run off which means he now has to think about how 2 declawed cats and 2 ferral cats will get along in a home. He will get back to me ASAP.
I am still trying to find homes for my 2 foster babies and I hope I will be able to help you with the other cats. Can you take the cats with you when you move, which may give me more time to play with?

CyberKitten
February 1st, 2006, 04:43 PM
They are all beautiful and I love black cats (I never understood the notion that black kitties are the last adopted- it makes no sense to me at all!!!!!)
I adore Thelma though - she is just beautiful.

Oh - and I missed those posts Happycats - that your kitty is missing/ I'll think some good thoughts and say some prayers. A frie d said prayers for me the other nitre when I was feeling pretty mserable and even tho it did not stop tge pain, it made me feel good knwoing he cared enough to do that and the soothing tone of his praying out loud seemed to be well, soothing in a way~ Have you done all the things they tell you do on those sites like catinthebag and lost pets? They contend there is a difference in searching for a cat that is indoor vs one that is used to the outdoors - and that most never really go that far - one man (a real live pet detective and there is a pet detective, Melanie soemthing I think her name is that has a great site with wqonderful ideas that have worked for many) had a grid pattern he works out - lool evert where close by that might haver a hiding place and cats who have strayed for whatever reason (wunderlust, adventure, curiosity...) can become scared of humans very quickly and will even run for their owner. One of the best ideas I believe in - because it has worked for me when I helped other friends who have lost kitties - is to trap your cat as if s/he were feral with a humane trap. Place his fav food. I have done this maybe 5 times now and it has always worked so I am quite a believer in it now. You do get some other small animals in the process sometimes - and other neighboorhood cats or small dogs and of course , wild animals of various species but it's winter and some are hibernating. So you might try that - s/he may be - and is most likely not all that far away!! If worse comes to worse, I hve even come to believe (scientist and all) in people who know how to talk to cats and figure out the problem - if there was a prob as to why they ran off - and lets them know things will be better. I know it sounds change but I have seen that work with someone else's cat - and heard two stories by two people I consider reputable and not publicity seekers. Just a few thoughts...... I so hope you find her!

Do you have blankets and straw and other essentials that could help them leep warm. This may already have beensaid and I just noticed there is a 2nd page - I am at work but it is quiet here since we have a majr storm in Hfx and I only got in because of a neighbour who is in the RCMP and prob more so than me, is considered essential and so I drove with him even tho "civilians" are not supposed to be in their SUV. And we followed the plow. (plow - I can never spell that, got into trouble once for writing an article when on a summer job I spelled it wrong and I am doing it again I am sure, lol - of course that was not as bad as mytypo of "toetruck", lol - the newspaper rec'd so many calls for that, but my quiestion is where was the typesetter and the editor - I was just a mere summer student. Luckily, my family owned the newspaper or I may have not had much future for the rest of the summer, hehheh)

I also have an aching back that has brought me to tears and I am pretty good at handling pain - a walk down te aisle is just torture, so I am going to get an injection of something before I leave - since I am not driving - to see if that will at least help me sleep tonite

Sorry for the hijack. It is one of those days. Good in that only one appt showed up (from New Brunswick where it was not stomring when they left and had they not some in, I may have stayed and worked from home but they drove 7 hours to see me so they deserve the best attention and treatment their child can get!!!) And so I also got to be PlayLady - she did not make it in and I am wondering why I did not obtain a Bachelor's degree in Child Studies (avail at a local univ - Mount St. Vincent). Less money but I don't do this for the money - if I did, I would be in the US or some suny tropic island that tries to recruit me year after year, lol If you do this job for the money, you should not be in the profession. (Unfortunately, to be honest, not every pediatric hematologist/ oncologist shares my view of the world.

Anyway - as I said about another kitty, wish I was closer!!! IU hate to see those poor babies outside in the cold tho am glad they have you as their kitty angel. :angel:

CyberKitten
February 1st, 2006, 04:58 PM
Now I just noticed you are moving - and as I write this another doctor- (who thinks I am doing my ped research stuff, !!) - is waiting for me. Is there a group in Mtl who can care for them after you move or they might have a member who would. It sounds like you may have to trap these klitties and find them a place to stay. Gawd, I wish I was close!!!!! When are you moving? Maybe we can organize something online - get together to help you....I am thinking out loud here. Gotta get!

xixvnajlavxix
February 2nd, 2006, 05:25 AM
It kills me to watch this post, I know how hard it is to stare at cats and wait for something to happen. Me and my mom feed a lumber yard full of cats, >< they're too ferral to even attempt to find homes for, so we just feed and shelter them.
I showed my Mom this thread, who showed it to one person who showed it to the next... Its so sad that they're far away. Every one here is so interested in helping them, my Aunt even claimed she would take them all for her bunk house in a heart beat!
I hope that you find a home for them, and I can understand why you wouldn't give them to the SPCA. My family never "adopts" from humane societys, the last time we dealt with them they took one look at my kitten I've kept and told me he was too wild to be adopted, and he would be put down at the end of the day...
Its so sad...

catsnatcher-CDN
February 2nd, 2006, 08:34 AM
Catsnatcher- Just to update on the farm... he hasn't said no yet:fingerscr He needs to think it through as he just got 2 other cats given to him to live on his farm...they are declawed so they have to be indoors.
Your 2 ferals cats will have to stay inside the home for awhile so that they don't run off which means he now has to think about how 2 declawed cats and 2 ferral cats will get along in a home. He will get back to me ASAP.
I am still trying to find homes for my 2 foster babies and I hope I will be able to help you with the other cats. Can you take the cats with you when you move, which may give me more time to play with?

Hi cpietra,

Thanks for the update. The two ferals are not violent. They come near me and don't run away from me while I'm feeding them but they absolutely don't let me touch them. I've never seen them fighting with other cats or show up all bruised up. I don't think that they'll fight with the other two declawed cats but it makes me feel better to know that he is responsible enough to think about the consequences rather than jumping on a definite yes or no.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help get your two fosters adopted. I would love these cats to be safe before the eventual storms that stroll in every February.

catsnatcher-CDN
February 2nd, 2006, 08:49 AM
Now I just noticed you are moving - and as I write this another doctor- (who thinks I am doing my ped research stuff, !!) - is waiting for me. Is there a group in Mtl who can care for them after you move or they might have a member who would. It sounds like you may have to trap these klitties and find them a place to stay. Gawd, I wish I was close!!!!! When are you moving? Maybe we can organize something online - get together to help you....I am thinking out loud here. Gotta get!

Thanks for the offer Cyberkitten,

Most groups here have their hands too full to work with any of them let alone 5 of them. I can't think of a more obvious miracle than finding 5 separate homes who all have extensive experience with ferals. I don't think I'll have a problem trapping them since I've done it before. It's finding them a place to go after they've been snared...

catsnatcher-CDN
February 2nd, 2006, 08:52 AM
It kills me to watch this post, I know how hard it is to stare at cats and wait for something to happen. Me and my mom feed a lumber yard full of cats, >< they're too ferral to even attempt to find homes for, so we just feed and shelter them.
I showed my Mom this thread, who showed it to one person who showed it to the next... Its so sad that they're far away. Every one here is so interested in helping them, my Aunt even claimed she would take them all for her bunk house in a heart beat!
I hope that you find a home for them, and I can understand why you wouldn't give them to the SPCA. My family never "adopts" from humane societys, the last time we dealt with them they took one look at my kitten I've kept and told me he was too wild to be adopted, and he would be put down at the end of the day...
Its so sad...

Xix,

If you were an hour away, I guess this problem would be solved! Over the last few years that I've been trying to place them, they've always been one phone call too late, one day too late, a year too old, an hour too far...

CyberKitten
February 2nd, 2006, 12:15 PM
Could other cat or animal groups and there are more groups where you are then here - somehow each take one and if there are bonded pairs, two so that they at least have some care? Even if they have to go to Ontario. Are you in Mtl - I forget but think you are - am gong to talk to my sister tho I know she may not have time, she may know someone. I so wish I was close - I would build them a place near my home. I just know it would be impopssible to transport feral cats this far. (sigh!) and prob too stressful for them to begin with!!

cpietra16
February 2nd, 2006, 09:46 PM
Catsnatcher, I have been talking to someone who has been feeding ferels outside for a few years now. It's in Pointe Claire, sorry not a farm.
I told her about the 2 ferel and she is coming over to my house on Sunday and I will be able to talk to her and show her the pictures. I know its not a definate yes but its atleast some lead. She also wants to see Kirby and Chelsea...incase she knows of someone that is looking to adopt. I so hope that I find someone that I can trust to take my babies so that I could atleast get yours and have a happy end to this story...to be continued..by the way i have not lost hope yet...please don't...I need all the good "adoption vibes" that I can get.

chico2
February 3rd, 2006, 08:34 AM
Catsnatcher,CPietra,I keep hoping every time I open this thread that a miracle has happened..some kitty:angel: has stepped up to help.
I know they are safe as long as they are with CS,but if you have to move and there is noone to feed them,too terrible to think of:sad:
You are probably both trying to find a solution every waking hour and I hope one day to read about a happy ending:fingerscr

catsnatcher-CDN
February 5th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Catsnatcher, I have been talking to someone who has been feeding ferels outside for a few years now. It's in Pointe Claire, sorry not a farm.
I told her about the 2 ferel and she is coming over to my house on Sunday and I will be able to talk to her and show her the pictures. I know its not a definate yes but its atleast some lead. She also wants to see Kirby and Chelsea...incase she knows of someone that is looking to adopt. I so hope that I find someone that I can trust to take my babies so that I could atleast get yours and have a happy end to this story...to be continued..by the way i have not lost hope yet...please don't...I need all the good "adoption vibes" that I can get.

Good luck today Cpietra! :fingerscr
Today, when I went tof eed them, Tiger and charlie let me pick them up (not for long, I didn't want to push my luck). It justr eminds me that these 3 shouldn't be outdoors...:sad:

catsnatcher-CDN
February 10th, 2006, 11:12 AM
I keep updating this thread with new images because I'm banking on a miracle. Also, it's the only way I can still remain hopefull for them. Here they are today.

poodletalk
February 10th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Your posts always break my heart! I wish there was more I can do, I called and talked to everyone I can think of. I will keep on trying:fingerscr

catsnatcher-CDN
February 10th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Thanks Poodletalk....

poodletalk
February 18th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Catsnatcher,

Are your outdoor cats ok after yesterdays weather?

chico2
February 18th, 2006, 09:55 AM
I don't think I've hoped for any cats to make it to a home,more than these 5,I think about them all the time,but that is certainly not helping them:sad:
I don't know what to do or say,I just keep following the thread and hope..:sad:

catsnatcher-CDN
February 18th, 2006, 10:41 AM
It's very bad outside. I put up a tarp at the entrance under the balcony but it has blown over and has now frozen to the ground so the wind gets into their area.

Today,when I opened the door to the basement, Tiger, Puma and Louise ran inside and sat in the garage while I prepared their food.

I give them 3 cans of wet and 3 cups of dry and I also pour them a bowl of hot water. Tiger loves the hot water. I always watch her face hunched over the hot vapors from the bowl and pray for summer.

But winter is safer for them because at least they spend most of their time under my balcony. They're able to roam around people's backstairs and sit on their BBQs or discarded appliance and bask a few minutes in the sun. But in the summer, there are so many kids and people in the alleys and outside that it's not as safe for them anywhere.

I thought about them all night. And tonight, the wind and the cold is suppose to get worst.

To make matters worst, there are 2 strange strays that are stalking Louise... Louise is fixed but the tomcats don't know that so they're terrorizing her. When I come home late at night, I keep seeing her sprinting across the street and trying to defend herself from them and there's nothing I can do to help her. :mad:

poodletalk
February 18th, 2006, 11:33 AM
It's such a shame we can't find a solution to this problem.

Frenchy
February 18th, 2006, 11:57 AM
With the weather we've been having (yesterday and today at least) I was thinking about all the poor homeless animals out there.It me made soo sad and mad at the people who left them there.It's should be a crime and they should get,themselves,a good night outside when it's 20 below.Good luck with the gang catsnatcher,you are an angel.

catsnatcher-CDN
February 22nd, 2006, 07:02 PM
I'm just glad that winter is coming to an end soon...

I'm gonna post more pics of these cats here and rename this thread The Chronicles of the Homeless Bunch.

Perhaps their sad and horrible situation will remind the occasional visitor to the forum to neuter their pets.

chico2
February 23rd, 2006, 08:55 AM
C-S,I wish we had an animal-friendly reporter,who would write a full-page story about the tragedy of abandonned cats,the cold,hunger and often death they suffer,because of uncaring people.
The many little "awww so cute kittens"who freeze to death in winter,who should not have been born,the wounded cats who die a slow death from infections,trying to find a warm spot in a frozen world:sad:
It's to me beyond comprehension that enyone can be so very cruel to a little defenseless animal,after all we are not talking about tigers..
A few,like your 5 cats are lucky,at least they have full bellies,which luckily kept them alive this winter,but for how long?
Sorry for getting mushy,I just think it's so very sad..with no happy ending.

poodletalk
February 23rd, 2006, 09:37 PM
Good News Catsnatcher, I spoke to my vet tonight the farmer who has a heated barn is looking for more cats!!! The two cats she took from the vet clinic last month she liked so much that she brought them inside her house.She desperatly needs mouse catchers for her barn. I told my vet about your five cats, she didn't seem thrilled about the feral cats,but she seemed to like the idea of the three other cats. I told her the cats are vacinated and sterilized, she's going to speak to her client about the cats. I don't know when but she will and she will tell me what the chicken farmer said. Lets keep our fingers crossed!!!

In the mean time, send SOS Miow the pictures and descriptions, they will post the cats on their website.

catsnatcher-CDN
February 23rd, 2006, 10:11 PM
OMG! WOW!!!! If this works out, that would be amazing! (I wouldn't mind trying to convince him/her to take all 5 since none of them are violent. Thelma and Louise haven't been tamed for indoor life but they let me pet them while their eating and they always smell my hand when I extend it...but that's the extent of it.)

I don't want to seem ungrateful or too picky, but I really think I would want to take a drive to the farm and check out the place before giving them these kitties....

I would've prefered a cozy home for Tiger and Charlie and Puma but if s/he's willing to keep them indoors for a few months so they won't try to escape back here and if s/he is a wonderful, caring and responsible farmer, then I couldn't really object.

...omg! Imagine...
:fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

CyberKitten
February 23rd, 2006, 10:56 PM
I'll say a prayer for these kitties tonite!! Poor babies out in the cold!! :sad:

poodletalk
February 24th, 2006, 07:20 AM
Catsnatcher, I have an appoitment with her next Saturday, I would love to
give her pictures of your cats. She can see them and the chicken farmer can see them as well. I don't have a colored printer, do you have one? Is it possible you can mail me some pictures for next Saturday.

Catsnatcher,there's no way the cats would ever be able to find you again if they are with her. She lives in the farm area of the south shore very far away where you live. My vet would never recommend giving her animals if she didn't properly take care of her own. I guess being a chicken farmer, she's always in her barn so the cats will eventually warm up to her but I think the cats will be too busy chasing mice to notice her.

catsnatcher-CDN
February 24th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Is your appt Sat. 25th or March 4rth? I have a colour printer and can e-mail the pics to you at the same time as SOSMIOW.

I have so many questions about the barn life...

Do you know if cats are afraid of chickens? Are they fed regularly or do they rely on mouse-catching? Do they get seen by a vet? How big is the barn? Do they stay inside the barn for a few months or weeks or whatever

I always hoped that somehow one day Tiger and Charlie and Puma would end up at the foot of someone's bed.

I don't want to make a mistake....

Thanks poodletalk

poodletalk
February 24th, 2006, 09:02 AM
March 4th. I don't have a color printer, I need you to print them out to me and mail them( by stamp and envelope to me) My dogwalker had the same concerns when the farmer took her stray cat. My vet said, they will have regular food, the barn is heated and they take excellent care of the animals.

I don't know the size of the barn, but I assume it's large if they are farmers. What my dogwalker did when the farmer took her bed, gave her a bag full of staff for barn life. Blankets, baskets, food, treats for the cat since she thought the cat would be cold living in the barn.

The barn is heated for the chickens, they won't be cold and no cats aren't afraid of chickens. The chickens are in large cages so the cats won't be able to go near them.

Still send the pictures to SOS, this isn't a sure thing but right now!

catsnatcher-CDN
March 1st, 2006, 02:38 PM
A few days ago, Tiger let me pick her up! I mean, I always pick them up and move them around so that they can get use to it, but a few days ago, she let me hold her like a regular cat in my arms. I'm so proud of her...

Here's a pic of the first winter she spent outdoors, 2 years ago. She was less than a year old. (PS. She's fixed now and all but one baby survived and were re-homed)

Rottielover
March 1st, 2006, 03:21 PM
catsnatcher, do you think she would be ok with a dog?. Or do you think that may stress her out too much ? pm please

chico2
March 1st, 2006, 04:35 PM
Catsnatcher,she was beautiful then and still is,thank's to you:love: I would give anything to come and get her,but(there always is a but:sad: )3 cats in reasonable harmony is all we can handle.
Are you still moving??
It would be great if she is ok with dogs(rottielover),but I guess you don't know if she is..:sad:
Not many cats like to be carried around,Chico and Rocky don't,Vinnie likes to hang on my shoulder,all 16lbs of him,so Tiger is doing good:love:

catsnatcher-CDN
March 1st, 2006, 04:51 PM
There's no way to tell how she would be with dogs. She's not a violent cat so I know she won't attack a dog. She'll probably keep her distance. I don't know if she'll be terrified.

Yes I am moving. I don't know when I'd be moving because I haven't found a place yet and I'm being very picky.

I couldn't believe she let me hold her like that, but I didn't push my luck. I held her back paws with my left hand and cradled her with my right and she didn't flinch a bit. But it wasn't for long. I didn't want it to be a bad experience for her. So it lasted like ~ 5 seconds.

chico2
March 1st, 2006, 05:00 PM
That's usually how long I can carry mine around and I learned to always support their backpaws.
Vinnie however can hang around on my shoulder for an hour:D
You must be very attached to these kitties by now,it will not be easy to leave them,I know I probably could not:sad: ,unless you through a miracle find them a home:fingerscr

cpietra16
March 1st, 2006, 07:36 PM
I just read your thread...wow I am so happy and amazed...you have broken the barrier. She has let you come into her life....how will you be able to let go. This is great news. :thumbs up :thumbs up

catsnatcher-CDN
March 1st, 2006, 08:28 PM
I just read your thread...wow I am so happy and amazed...you have broken the barrier. She has let you come into her life....how will you be able to let go. This is great news. :thumbs up :thumbs up

It is great news. But a bit heartbreaking at the same time because she's ready for that transition to indoors and I can't help her. It's very windy tonight and it will be worst the next few days. Everytime I hear the windows here shaking from the wind, I think of her and Charlie and Puma and it breaks my heart. :sad:

It's been harder turning away unqualified homes than it will be finding her a permanent side on someone's bed. So far, luck has not been on her side nor on her siblings. At least all her babies are safe.

cpietra16
March 9th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Just checking in on the Kitties...I hope you got all the info i sent you. Let me know. We need these kitties in a nice warm house ....we need help.

chico2
March 10th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Me too,those five kitties are hard to forget about:sad:
I am always hoping to read some good news:fingerscr

catsnatcher-CDN
March 10th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Thanks Cpietra, I have the info for the gazette ad and I will call on Thursday to run the ad for a week for your fosters . I hope this will help get your fosters adopted in order to open up a space for these kitties...

I dreaded the worst today. After the rain, the place is now flooded. Their food bowl is floating in the water and they try to get to it by avoiding the puddles but they can't.

I'm losing hope for these guys. I'm at a point where maybe I'll just have to accept that this is their fate and there's really no hope for them. It's so emotionally draining seeing them this way everyday. Nothing I've done has worked. I feel I'm just delaying the inevitable for them.

cpietra16
March 10th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Just checking and making sure that they have all been accounted for....:fingerscr

poodletalk
March 10th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Catsnatcher, check out SOS Miow, they put your cats on their site available for adoption. www.sosmiow.com

cpietra16
March 10th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Wow....its good to know that they are being looked at...:fingerscr . I wonder if they could put my two sisters on there as a courtesy listing??

poodletalk
March 10th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Aren't your two sisters with another rescue?

cpietra16
March 10th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Yes, but as a foster parent, they said i could do everything to help with the adoption process... But you're right I sure don't want to take away from SOS's cats ...I just thought that some rescues cross post for exposure...just a thought

poodletalk
March 10th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Maybe they can, you can always email SOS Miow.

kayla
March 10th, 2006, 03:38 PM
What a sad situation :( What area of Montreal are you in? It looks like my neighborhood, Point Saint Charles. At least it is warming up for them, another winter they survived because of you, I'm sure many out there didn't :sad:

Lucky Rescue
March 10th, 2006, 06:45 PM
When are you moving?? I may have some help for these cats if you can hold unto them for a few more months.

I'm sending you a PM!!!!

Lucky Rescue
March 17th, 2006, 10:55 AM
So it looks like there might be a light at the end of this tunnel. Keep fingers crossed everyone!:fingerscr

Nighthawk
March 19th, 2006, 02:52 AM
Wow....this thread is kind of heart-wrenching. It makes me so mad that anyone could be so heartless as to abandon animals like this. Catsnatcher, I commend you for all you have done for these five beauties. My Wife and I are just now in the process of adopting a stray that pretty much came with the home that we just bought.

The previous owners left us a note that the cat just sort of adopted the patio and that he came to take him to the SPCA the morning we took posession but couldn't find him. He left a note stating he'd be back to try again. My wife quickly called asking him not to come and telling him that we are going to adopt him. Lucky for us he is not feral at all but our female 8 year old indoor/outdoor cat is not to happy with him and hissess at him even though he is a big teddy bear and shows no sign of aggression back. We are going to have him sterilized this week as well as a checkup and vaccinations. I hope this will help the situation with our cat. This guy is a beautiful black cat with big green eyes. He is definately an instant lap cat and I think the moment he comes in our home and finds our gas fireplace he will be in kitty heaven.

It breaks my heart when I lock up at night and he is either at the front door or back sliding glass door crying to come in. Judging by his demeanor he was certainly a house cat that was abandoned which really pisses me off. I would have a hard time talking to the people responsible for doing this to him with anything but my fists. I built him a makeshift shelter and gave him a blanket though he just generally sleeps on our patio chairs. Lucky for us we live on the west coast and our idea of winter is a cold rainy day or a half a week of wet snow. Hopefully everything works out and we will be able to bring him indoors. He already gets along great with my 14 week old Sheltie puppy.

Catsnatcher...sorry for the major threat hijack but your story hit close to home for me. Here are a few pictures of 'Jack.'

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/nighthawk07/album2/jack01.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/nighthawk07/album2/Jack02.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/nighthawk07/album2/Jack05.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/nighthawk07/album2/Jack06.jpg

chico2
March 19th, 2006, 07:58 AM
Nighthawk,Jack was lucky it was you who moved in and not a cat-hater,thank's for taking care of him:thumbs up
My Chico looks just like him,the biggest love-bug-cat I've ever had:love:
Hopefully you can bring him in soon and have him neutered:fingerscr

badger
March 19th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Kudos to you for bringing this guy inside instead of letting him go to the SPCA where black cats are a dime a dozen. And at least the previous owner wasn't prepared to simply abandon him.
Just a tip: when you first bring him inside, it would be a good idea to segregate him for a week or two. If each cat has a blanket, exchange them after a few days so they get used to each other's smell. Your female has had your undivided attention for 8 (?) years and will need time to adjust. But it should go well; a female and a male generally have an easier transition than two boys or two girls. But females are no less territorial, so take it slowly.
He's a lucky boy.

Lucky Rescue
March 19th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Nighthawk, thanks for adopting this beautiful guy. Big, tough toms are often the softest and sweetest of any cats!:)

The neutering will definitely help, since the intact tom scent is upsetting to your cat. It will take a few weeks for the smell to go away.

catsnatcher-CDN
April 18th, 2006, 07:42 PM
I went to check up on my stray cats today and look who I found! A raccoon! Eating their food, drinking their water and sleeping in their bed!!!!
Is he dangerous? to me? to the cats? What do I do?
I was so scared of him, how am i going to go under the blacony to feed the cats from now on?

catsnatcher-CDN
April 18th, 2006, 07:44 PM
here he is again

catsnatcher-CDN
April 18th, 2006, 07:46 PM
and again! My landlords are gonna be super p****d!

chico2
April 18th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Well,the only thing I can think of,since coons are nocturnal,feed the cats when it's daylight.
He will keep coming back now that he knows where there is food.
I used to feed coons,because I love them,but had to stop..and in your case it means 5 hungry cats go without:sad:

catsnatcher-CDN
April 18th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Thanks Chico2,

I can no longer feed the cats under the balcony. I'm too scared of the racoon. It's very dark under there and there are too many places he can hide and feel cornered. I hope the lack of food under the balcony will keep him away... I just don't know where to feed my cats in secrecy anymore :sad:

I don't know what to do.
Why did you stop feeding your raccoons? Are they dangerous? Can I catch something?

cpietra16
April 18th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Just to let you know...raccoons can kill a cat in one swoop. They are probably staying away. A smart cat will never confront a raccoon. Catsnatcher.. I will be sending the sisters to an adoption clinic...I have not forgotten. Just be careful with the raccoon

catsnatcher-CDN
April 18th, 2006, 08:15 PM
I'm so scared for my cats. Now, they have no place to sleep at night if the racoon has moved in!

Things are getting worst for them. Thelma is constantly being chased by a tom cat. I hear her screaming at night and always catch that tomcat cornering her. (This tomcat has a freaking collar with no tags and won't stay ten feet from me, so no chance of catching him).

Now I can't feed them under the balcony anymore. It's so heartbreaking. Every time Tiger and Charlie and Puma purr around my legs. I can't explain how much it bothers me that I can't find them a freaking home.

Now I'm gonna find them hurt one morning cuz of this raccoon... :sad:

cpietra16
April 18th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Catsnatcher, if you'll be leaving anyway, can't you just bring them in just for awhile until something comes up?? One month or two may be all you need.

catsnatcher-CDN
April 18th, 2006, 08:39 PM
I wish I could. I always think about sneaking one in at a time. I can't get away with it. My landlords are my inlaws and have complete access to my house at all times. They're already mad that I have doberman and 3 cats in the house. It doesn't help that we share washing machines and they see all the hair that comes out of the dryer.

And if it's not my landlords, it's my dog. The last stray I brought in started to get comfy in the home but my dog just didn't want anything to do with her and kept cornering her and showing his teeth.

And if it's not my dog, it's the foster room/work room/future baby room. The foster room has to be cleaned out of all hazardeous material everytime a new stray comes in and that means I have no place to do my work and that means no money coming in.

I consider it everyday and just can't find a way to get away with fostering one.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
April 18th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Can you spray the racoon with water - he should be able to find food else where - also what about making an opening just large enough for the cats to get through but not the raccoon - not an expert by any means but its what came to my mind.

poodletalk
April 18th, 2006, 10:50 PM
Catsnatcher,

There's a place, (not the SPCA Montreal) where they will catch your racoon and release it in a safe place. I have the info at work, I will give it to you tomorrow!

catsnatcher-CDN
April 18th, 2006, 11:39 PM
Thanks Poodletalk.

There are 2 raccoons. I don't know how they're going to do it.

Joey.E.CockersMommy,

Unfortunately, it's not my balcony so I can't manipulate it more than I already have.

Lucky Rescue
April 19th, 2006, 12:06 AM
Wow....its good to know that they are being looked at...:fingerscr . I wonder if they could put my two sisters on there as a courtesy listing??

Sorry to change the subject, but I've had both cats listed on my site since you got them....they are not easy cats to get adopted on a website alone, and they can't come to adoption events so it makes it doubly hard.

If you want another rescue to list them, let me know and I'll take them off my site.

chico2
April 19th, 2006, 08:28 AM
CS,what I have learned about raccoons over the years is, that if there is food,they'll get to it,they are really smart and strong and if there is one,there will soon be more.
Then they have babies and so on...
I stopped feeding them,(not while the babies were young)mostly because I had other critters multiplying,mostly mice,who later invaded my house.
I don't doubt they can be deadly for cats,especially if they fight for food.
My cats are never outside on their own,but I've seen other cats scurry off if they see a coon.
I have been outside at night encountering coons,I am not afraid of them,but know enough not to corner them,they are afraid and will run away.
We've had coons sleeping in our trees in the daytime,probably did not get away before sun-up,but they just sleep,don't bother anybody.
My heart breaks for your poor cats,but other than catching every coon that comes to your house and moving them to a different location,probably resulting in dead babies,I don't know what you can do.
I would feed the cats in the daytime,since it's not cold anymore,I am sure they will seek out another safe place to sleep.
The visiting tom-cat is another big problem..:sad:

poodletalk
April 19th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Hi Catsnatcher,

Call Urban Animal Advocates run by Harriet Schlieffer. She specializes in
raccoons. Her number is (514) 481-6281.

cpietra16
April 19th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Sorry LR, don't mean to step on anyones feet, especially when they're doing me a great favour. I sure appreciate your help and will continue to do so. Sorry for the confusion. I pm'd you.

Lucky Rescue
April 19th, 2006, 01:18 PM
No problem! I was just asking!:)

catsnatcher-CDN
May 5th, 2006, 03:28 PM
So winter is over and it's another summer with my 5 cats outside. The raccoon hasn't shown up again but every morning their food is empty so I suspect the racoon is there at night. Sometimes I hear cats crying in the neighborhood during the night and always hope it's not one of these five who may be hurt or injured.

So here's Tiger today in the backyard with Puma. They were rolling around together sleeping in the sun until I came to bother them with my camera.

catsnatcher-CDN
May 5th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Here's Tiger. Hard to believe she's been discarded to the streets

poodletalk
May 5th, 2006, 03:45 PM
They are so beautiful, I wish there was more I could do to help :(

This thread always makes feel so upset......

cpietra16
May 5th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Oh..I wish I had a bigger house. I always wonder how they're doing. Great to see a picture of them . I love Tiger. she looks so much like my Nicki. Ths has been 2 years...we need to help these guys....

chico2
May 5th, 2006, 04:29 PM
CS,like Poodletalk,looking at these beautiful cats brings me to tears,Puma looks just like my Chico and Tiger is very,very beautiful:love:
It's frustrating and probably more so for you,that I can do nothing to help:sad: But thank's for reminding everone,these cats still need a home.
The raccoons will always feed at night,if you see one in the day-time,he is not where he wants to be.

catsnatcher-CDN
May 18th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Hello Everyone,

I have news about the Homeless 5...

They have all found a home.
Charlie, Puma and Tiger will be living in a barn owned by a psychologist! (yay!)
Thelma and Louise will be in a much bigger barn with a cat enthusiast!

Both barns are still uner construction and will be ready to home the cats in 3-4 weeks.

I am both happy and sad. Sad because I know that charlie, tiger and puma have a temperement that allows them to retire on the foot of someone's bed instead of a barn. But I am happy because it is very unsafe for them here. Just in the last few weeks:

1.A raccoon has moved into their living space and eats all their food.
2. Three new tomcats are chasing my homeless 5
3. The building in the alley, where they sometimes sneak in the basement, went up in flames and almost trapped them in the basement.

Now all 5 need to be trapped and boarded until they are ready to be transported. Since trapping them all the same day is unlikely, I am looking to board them somewhere until they are delivered. The best quote I got is $10 per day per cat at the vet. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I will cross post since this thread has now evolved into another issue.

chico2
May 18th, 2006, 12:38 PM
C-S,that's great news for them,I hope:fingerscr
There are a lot of questions in my mind,as will they stay,or try to run back"home",will they be fed and not just barn-mice? etc...
Still I am very happy they do not have to face another Quebec winter outside,although you did your best to keep them safe:love:
Maybe the barn-owners will just fall in love and let them come in the house ever now and then:fingerscr
Sorry I cannot help with boarding,do you have a date already for their move?
I am sure you'll be upset when they leave,but also relieved knowing they'll be better off and you wont constantly have to worry about them.:thumbs up

catsnatcher-CDN
May 18th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Hi Chico,

Thank you for your concern. The barn owners are animal lovers and the cats will be kept in the barns at all times. They will be fed on a regular basis. These barns are not what I had imagined barns to be. They are insulated, furnished and very high-end.

The cats will be secluded to a room for the first 4 to 8 weeks until they are used to their new environment and eating schedule.

The owners seem to be very animal conscious and are associated with rescues. The best scenario is a loving home but that has never materialized over the years.

There is a risk they may run off.... If they run off, it would be my fault and would feel like I had lost a pet. I would be in absolute tears. This scares me to death and makes me doubt my decision but I have no other option. Not even one possible lead has been generated by any of my efforts over the last few years. :sad:

This is an amazing opportunity for them...as long as they don't run off. They have good temperaments...:fingerscr I'm hoping for the best.

chico2
May 18th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Thank's,it sounds wonderful,let's hope they are smart enough to stay put,I really am happy for them,as I am sure you are....:thumbs up
No more"Homeless in winter"posts:highfive: :love:

cpietra16
May 18th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Oh I'm almost sad that I won't be getting them.....but absolutely thrilled that they will be placed in a great place....Will they be indoors first to get use to the smell...i don't want them to feel like they might have to find their way home.....ok now I'm worried...ca you give the new owners the pets.ca site so that they can keep us up dated...ok now I'm a mother hen..catsnatcher...you think you were bad with your cat scratch....;)

poodletalk
May 18th, 2006, 01:35 PM
This is fantastic news for the homeless 5!

Yes,there's always a chance they can run away, but there's a bigger chance if they remain where they are, they could get hit by a car! A local pound can pick them up and euthanise them. Plus Catsnatcher is moving, who will feed them when she's gone?

If catsnatcher wants, she can put collars on them with her name and phone number, chip them.

Lets wish these homeless 5 the best of luck! Catsnatcher, you did a fantastic job over the years sterilizing and feeding these cats!

chico2
May 18th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Poodletalk,oh for sure:thumbs up
But still,you can't help worrying,you kind of get to know the animals on the Forum.
CS definetly went all the way keeping these beautiful,but sad kitties,from dying of cold and hunger:grouphug:

catsnatcher-CDN
May 18th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Cpietra, I know what you mean. It's harder than I thought. The kittens and cats i rescued over the years, I was never bonded with any of them. I worried about their welfare but that was the extent of it. But the homeless 5... especially tiger, charlie and puma, they are like my pets. I can't imagine them in a barn. I've been preparing myself to adjust to them in someone's home but not in a barn.

But Poodletalk is right. It's not safe here for them.

I can see them now outside my window, sprawled in the garden. I keep thinking, I could maybe just take one. But how can I choose between them? Tiger has come around so much. It took a year for her to eat in front of me, now she lets me pick her up and scratch her head as she kneels it forward. Charlie recognizes his name and if I'm walking down the street and don't see him, he meows to remind me he's there under the car, just waiting in the driveway. Even Puma...she's so tiny and fragile and sweet.

I'm happy for them but I know deep in my heart that although there really is no other possible solution for Thelma and Louise, the other 3 could have retired in a home had chance been on their side.

cpietra16
May 18th, 2006, 03:05 PM
I know...I feel for you. When the day comes it will almost be bitter sweet. I know that in my heart I am glad that they have a place, but I really wanted them in a home.....my home...as for Thelma and Louise...I know they will be hard to get into a home, but it could be done...I guess the barn will be the second best thing for them. Will the people that take Thelma and Louise going to be there and show them human company....or will they be on there own. Will there be toms that may attack them...can they email pictures from time to time....my god its like letting go of a baby.....all I want is a bigger house sa that I can have more than 5 cats....

catsnatcher-CDN
May 18th, 2006, 03:11 PM
I know that all cats will have human contact and there are no other cats inside the barns. I'm under the impression that these cats are their limits as well.

I still have my fingers corssed that by some miracle one of them will still get adopted before the big day. But I know it's unlikely.

For now, all my efforts are concentrated on find a place that will board them for the next few weeks.

cpietra16
May 18th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Let me see who i can talkto ...if its only for one month maybe I can get some of my friends to help...I can't promise, but I will try.

chico2
May 18th, 2006, 04:46 PM
CS,believe me,had it been at all possible I would have adopted Tiger in a flash,she is to me perfect,I LOVE Maine Coons..I had one once,a male who died at a very young 3 yrs.:sad:
We've had sooo many cat-adoptions on this Forum,I am surprised nobody wanted these guys and girls.Maybe the fact they were outside played a role.
I hope the new owners will keep you posted,so we can hear how they are doing and I pray they will not run away...
Thank you for doing what you could for these cats over a long time and having them spayed/neutered,at least they will not be breeding.
Thank's also to the wonderful people involved getting them a new home,even if it is a barn:thumbs up

catsnatcher-CDN
May 19th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Can you spot six cats?

I've started feeding the "homeless 5" inside the cages so that they will be easier to trap. I have 2 cages but will have 2 more by Monday. Ten days before the move, I'll starting trapping them one by one and boarding them at the vet's office. (This is gonna cost me a bundle but I don't have another option).

All cats eat inside the cage except for Thelma who I haven't seen go inside yet.

The orange cat is a new tomcat who eats by default. I don't know where he comes from but he's been showing up lately. Also, the raccoon under tha balcony has taken up permanent residence with HER BABY!

One problem nearly solved, another soon begins!

poodletalk
May 19th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Nice picture Catsnatcher!

Did the lady ever call you back for the raccoon?

catsnatcher-CDN
May 19th, 2006, 12:00 PM
nope, but i heard she won't relocate the raccoon but instead will give me advice on how to prevent it from nesting and returning. I googled the info and there's notmuch i can do without affecting the homeless 5.

Lucky Rescue
May 19th, 2006, 12:37 PM
The barns that these cats will be going into are not what most people might think.

They are new structures built by animal lovers and I"m sure the cats will have a safe and warm shelter. Those are the only kind we put cats into. We would never EVER put cats into shabby, filthy cold spaces with the type of people who don't believe in s/n and who think nothing of drowning litters of kittens.

No, it's not ideal, but it's a LOT better than what they have now and for feral cats it's a very good option since trying to find indoor homes for ferals or even for skittish or shy cats is a monumental task. Most people who want to adopt are not looking for a cat who hides under the bed for 6 months, or who will bite and scratch.

cpietra16
May 19th, 2006, 07:01 PM
I believe that if you think the homeless 5 will be safe...then I will believe you. I know you would never jeopordize them in any way. Is thefarm out of the way where they will encounter foxes, or other predators they they usually never see in a city??

Lucky Rescue
May 19th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Is thefarm out of the way where they will encounter foxes, or other predators they they usually never see in a city??

Foxes are small animals, weighing about 12lbs, and would be insane to attack another predator the same size - or bigger - who is much better armed to defend itself. Foxes much prefer rabbits and mice as prey.

Feral cats are tough and wily creatures and usually steer clear of wild animals like raccoons and coyotes. If they managed to survive in the city, they'll do fine in a barn.

At least they won't be out in the cold or starving to death.

chico2
May 20th, 2006, 07:29 AM
C-S,I would leave the raccoon-mom be,relocating her and her baby would cause more harm than good.
As soon as the baby is old enough and there is no more food outside,they'll leave.
I am not being critical about the kitties going to barns,it's definetly the best solution,since nobody wants them:sad:they'll be warm and fed,probably feel like they are in heaven...but I am allowed to worry still,right?
The pic of them in the grass is wonderful,but the sad pics we got in the winter were heartbreaking,so yes,this is a good thing:thumbs up

Lucky Rescue
May 20th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Chico, if I had my way, every cat would be curled on someone's lap, or purring in front of a cozy fireplace.

But as long as people continue to be mean, cruel and stupid, and to see cats as disposable garbage, this is not going to happen.:(

I look at my own indoor feral cat, and although she won't let me pick her up or approach her, she's quite happy indoors - well-fed, warm and comfortable.

I'm sure all of Catsnatcher's cat would love to be inside too, but there's no one to take them.

CyberKitten
May 20th, 2006, 01:03 PM
I have to admit I scanned this for an update on the kitties - am hopeful they will be happy and safe and well fed and cared for in their new barn. It does beat cold winters in Quebec and they will be together so there is some solace there for cats ho hate change!

May they have a wonderful life!!!

catsnatcher-CDN
May 24th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Thanks for your good wishes CyberKitten

catsnatcher-CDN
May 24th, 2006, 11:41 AM
So I am in search of 3 cages. I only have 2. I need the ones that have a clip at the top and and the bottom. The newer models have handles you squeeze together and release to close the cage and those don't work very well if I want to catch them by surprise.

I've started to feed the homeless 5 in the cages and they are now comfortably coming in and out of the cages in front of me...all except Thelma who won't even go near the cage while I'm around. She'll be the toughest to catch.

I still don't know when the barns will be ready for them so I still have no plans for boarding them. I'm going to try to time it so that they don't spend more than ten days at the vet since it's $10 per day/per cat.

Here's Tiger and Charlie this morning:

catsnatcher-CDN
May 24th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Charlie and Puma, waiting for me this morning

catsnatcher-CDN
May 24th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Tiger and Louise trying to sneak their way in while I prepare their food

catsnatcher-CDN
May 24th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Louise after a full belly

catsnatcher-CDN
May 24th, 2006, 11:49 AM
The reason I need more cages

catsnatcher-CDN
May 24th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Tiger waiting her turn

catsnatcher-CDN
May 24th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Louise and Puma:

catsnatcher-CDN
May 24th, 2006, 11:54 AM
There's Thelma being terrorized by one of 2 tomcats who've been hanging around. BTW, this grey/white one is responsible for the "wound" on my hand last week.

catsnatcher-CDN
May 24th, 2006, 12:23 PM
And tomcat number 2

phoenix
May 24th, 2006, 12:24 PM
I can't believe how healthy these cats look! A tribute to your caring, no doubt! that Tiger is absolutely gorgeous.
I also can't believe that the vet (or anyone) won't cut you some slack on the boarding. Did you explain what you're doing?
:angel:

catsnatcher-CDN
May 24th, 2006, 12:29 PM
The cats are very healthy. I've been feeding them every day for over 2 years.

$10/per day per cat is the best price i got. He gave me 30% off. I wish I can start boarding them right away but it's just too expensive.

BMDLuver
May 24th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Not sure where you are located but we can most likely get you the cages that you need whenever you need them. Also if you give size preference, as I see you have different ones, some bigger than the others.. so if bigger than the standard cat carrier size is what you need then we can search for them too.

Also, if we have a better idea of what part of the city you are in then perhaps arrangements can be made for them to stay in large wire crates in a location instead of having to pay boarding at a vet's office?

catsnatcher-CDN
May 24th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Thanks BMDLuver,

I've got all five cages as of today. I'll be picking them up this weekend. I'm in Cote Des Neiges (my screen name, CDN, refers to my location).

I think I prefer them to stay at the vet's since they will be checked up on and handled daily there. Also, the vet is the one who neutered them so it's a place that is familiar to them.

Thanks for the offer.

chico2
May 24th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Great pics,thank's!
I don't know what it is about your cats,but every time I see them,I want to cry:sad:
I know this is the best for them,since noone else wanted them.:thumbs up
Is there a specific reason they have to stay at the vets for 10 days,that's a long time..are you moving at a certain day??
It's is going to cost you $500,but I suppose it's worth it if these kitties don't have to stay outside another freezing winter.
You have gone above and beyond for these beautiful cats and I hope everything will turn out ok:fingerscr
The orange kitty looks like he could use some help too...maybe there is a spot for him at the barns:p and the grey one looks like a beauty....

catsnatcher-CDN
May 24th, 2006, 06:00 PM
10 days was just as much as I'm willing to charge my credit card. I'm going to start trying to catch them ten days before the date. I'm not sure how long it will take to catch them, how easy it will be or how much time I'll have to do this.

Unfortunately, the two tomcats are not fixed nor are they vaccinated. I've never seen them before this year and they don't seem tame to me. I can't imagine being able to do anything for them. There's noone who will adopt them, no place to foster them, no money to neuter them and not enough time to find them a home.

glasslass
May 24th, 2006, 07:49 PM
I have also been keeping track of this thread and am so impressed with how well you are training them to go into the cages. No, it's impossible to save them all, but you have certainly made a huge difference in these kitties' lives.

chico2
May 24th, 2006, 10:49 PM
C-S,of course you cannot save them all and these 5 are very fortunate:love:
I just wish people could see these wonderful creatures for what they are,love them like we do.
They ask for so little,a little love,a little food a warm place to sleep...

poodletalk
May 25th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Great pictures Catsnatcher!

By the way, what vet clinic are you taking them to?

catsnatcher-CDN
June 2nd, 2006, 08:55 AM
This morning, they heard me open the window and they all came running

2 more weeks.

catsnatcher-CDN
June 2nd, 2006, 09:13 AM
Louise, Puma and Tiger eating this morning

catsnatcher-CDN
June 2nd, 2006, 09:14 AM
Charlie coming in for a tummy rub

catsnatcher-CDN
June 2nd, 2006, 09:15 AM
The mean cat (a.k.a. one eye cat) keeping a safe distance

chico2
June 2nd, 2006, 09:28 AM
CS,all I can say is awwwww and now there is 7..
Poor mean cat,poor Tomcat2,poor all cats without a loving home:sad:

cpietra16
June 2nd, 2006, 10:08 AM
I feel so bad for these poor babies...tey should all be in someones home cuddled on a chair in the warm sunshine....catsnatcher what will you do with the other 2 cats that are coming around....they look pretty well fed....do you think they belong to someone?

catsnatcher-CDN
June 2nd, 2006, 10:25 AM
No they don't belong to anyone. And there are, not 2, but about 4 more that come around.

Unfortunately, there is nothing i can do. Once the homeless 5 are in the barn, that's it. I won't be able to give them food anymore. The only comfort is that there's a strip of restaurants down Cotes-des-Neiges and the other 4 strays don't come around regularly anyway, so they are finding something to eat without my help.

1. I can't catch them because they are not tame;
2. I can't feed them because I will move once I find a place and noone will pick up where I left off;
3. I can't fix them because I've already spend thousands on the homeless 5 and have no spare money left.
3. The neighbors are PISSED and I'm holding them off as much as I can ( I found my cat ~2 years ago in the alley poisoned at 2 weeks old, and another 4 babies in a garbage bag in the bin)

This is Montreal city. I've never seen anything like this in my life. This is one of the reasons I'm moving to the suburbs. It's so bad here.

poodletalk
June 2nd, 2006, 12:13 PM
I hate to tell you catsnatcher, the suburbs are not much better!

Probably worst :(

Alex_Galea
June 2nd, 2006, 04:26 PM
This morning, they heard me open the window and they all came running

2 more weeks.

thats a cool picture

catsnatcher-CDN
July 12th, 2006, 10:05 AM
The homeless 5 today:

Here's Tiger and Charlie waiting in the driveway for their morning meal. I ahte it that it has rained so much. They stay huddled under a bush and come out soaking.

catsnatcher-CDN
July 12th, 2006, 10:07 AM
You have to see how Charlie (black cat) protects Tiger. He runs in front of her everytime something "out of the ordinary happens" like a stranger in the driveway or a cat fight in the distance

catsnatcher-CDN
July 12th, 2006, 10:08 AM
I hate finding them soaked from the pouring rain in the morning or late afternoons. :sad:

cpietra16
July 12th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Oh I love them. Catsnatcher...can't you keep Charlie and Tiger....I hate not having a bigger house. :sad: I so not want them to be seperated. Will you be abe to go and see them at their new place?

catsnatcher-CDN
July 12th, 2006, 11:19 AM
I wish I could keep them. Especially these two. But my dog would kill them. It didn't go well with the last foster here.

Also I have 3 cats and I'm the backup house for 2 cats living with an older person.

I would do ANYTHING for Tiger and Charlie to be adopted into a loving home. I'm grateful about the barn but it's really killing me inside. I know if one gets the chance to escape, s/he will and will never be reunited.

...I don't want to type anymore. :sad:

chico2
July 12th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Aww C-S,they so obviously love each other and take comfort from each other,the cruelest thing would be to seperate them:sad:
OMG,every time I see them I cry,I can just imagine how you feel:sad:
Maybe a miracle can happen,if people saw those pictures....then in a perfect world the orange male and the other black one could go to the barn instead:fingerscr :fingerscr

catsnatcher-CDN
July 18th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Tonight. I'm glad they're managing the heat/
Puma disappeared for 5 days with Thelma. She's come back with an open wound. A straight cut. She won't come near me anymore.

glasslass
July 18th, 2006, 10:02 PM
It's great that they're still together. I so wish they could talk!

chico2
July 19th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Oh no,I hope she will be ok:fingerscr
It's unfortunate cats who are wounded and in pain are more likely to hide,than go to the person who could help:sad:
A beautiful pic of the two sweethearts...

badger
July 19th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Some animals do heal naturally. The fact that he is relatively healthy will help his chances.
I'm confused. Weren't these kitties being moved to a barn? Or did that fall through?

catsnatcher-CDN
July 19th, 2006, 10:03 AM
The barn construction is constantly being delayed by the rain. Everytime it rains, they stop building. I was last told it would be ready at the end of the month.

Puma's cut is a straight cut across with a V shape wound. I don't know if it's an animal that's biting her. I'm keeping a close eye on her to decide what to do. She's not in pain and it's not infected.

I think maybe she is getting stabbed from crawling under a fence or something....All the hair around the cut is missing. I took a pic to get a closer look 'cuz she won't stand close to me lately. It's not gross but I won't post the pic here.

catsnatcher-CDN
July 19th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Tonight. Charlie and Tiger and Louise are hanging around... The scorching heat has given them a bit of a break today. I love this little guy. He's the friendliest of the bunch. I could swear he recognizes his name now.

catsnatcher-CDN
July 19th, 2006, 10:15 PM
And Tiger a few feet away, the sun setting behind her.

catsnatcher-CDN
July 21st, 2006, 05:26 PM
The barn is ready. I will start trapping them on monday. Here's Thelma today.

catsnatcher-CDN
July 21st, 2006, 05:27 PM
And here's her sister Louise. I would have loved to have found Louise a home. Not that I'm not grateful for the barn.

cpietra16
July 21st, 2006, 08:49 PM
Have you gone down to see the barn. Will they be kept indoor for awhile before they are introduced to the outdoors... I am so happy for them but so scared and anxious about their reaction...i hope they know they aren't being abandoned:(

OMG...i feel like I'm giving away my babies...this thread has been so much part of my life, it'll be hard not knowing what happened to these babies...and yet I know before long there will be another story about more homeless kitties somewhere in this big ugly world

catsnatcher-CDN
July 21st, 2006, 10:02 PM
No I haven't seen it but i will see it on that day. I don't think it'll be unacceptable. If it is, I can always leave.

It's a private barn so they will lock up the cats for at least one month. I'm running around trying to find a place for Louise.

poodletalk
July 21st, 2006, 10:04 PM
Will Tiger and Charlie be going there as well?

Prin
July 22nd, 2006, 12:03 AM
Where is the barn? I missed that part...

chico2
July 22nd, 2006, 07:50 AM
I ditto what CPietra says,seeing the progress of these beautiful cats,the struggle in the winter,now the hot summer,I feel I know them and I worry:sad:
I think we can all agree though,were it not for C-S,their lives would probably have come to an end a long time ago and I would hate to think of them facing another winter out-doors.
I hope we can somehow still get some news about them and :fingerscr :fingerscr they'll be safe and happy.
Good luck in finding a kind soul to adopt the little Tortie Louise:fingerscr

catsnatcher-CDN
July 22nd, 2006, 08:29 AM
Where is the barn? I missed that part...

There;s a private barn in St.Lazare who is a neighbor of a local rescue there. She is willing to take 3 cats.

Prin
July 23rd, 2006, 02:08 PM
Ahh.. ok. It's a good thing.:thumbs up

catsnatcher-CDN
July 24th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Well, today's the day. I caught Puma. She's in my garage waiting for the trip to the vet then the barn.

Unfortunately, Thelma and Louise are proving very difficult to catch. From 9 am until 4 pm, I tried and tried and it seems they'd rather starve than eat inside my cage!

To top it all off, the gray/white cat blocks their way and sits/eats inside the cage. By the time he's finished, I gotta refill the cage and by then Thelma and Louise are off!

Charlie and Tiger have no problems going in and out of the cage.

catsnatcher-CDN
July 24th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Tonight, Puma is at the barn.

We stopped off at the vet. Of course she HAD TO sink her nails into the vet before being examined. She got a quick check up of her wound. Seems she's been attacked by another cat but it was healing itself so she's a healthy kitty.

I cried all the way to the vet and then all the way to the barn. So did Puma. The barn is beautiful. She has her own room with insulation and air conditioning, a chandelier, two cat beds, a litter box and her first food bowls!

When we let her out of her cage, she tried to climb back in but ran in back of a portable fridge and stayed there.

The barn owner seems level headed and patient, so my hopes are up that they will be well cared for.

The only danger is if they run away and don't come back. It's in the middle of the woods.

I know she's very, very, very scared tonight by herself. But at least she's not being attacked or stuck under the rain and she's safe.

I don't know how people can give up their pets. Leaving her there was much harder than I thought it would be.

Tomorrow, I'll try to catch Thelma and Louise.

Prin
July 24th, 2006, 09:20 PM
:grouphug: :grouphug: You're doing a good thing. It must be so hard anyway though.:grouphug:

cpietra16
July 24th, 2006, 10:50 PM
CS...I can only imagine...I bet partof you wanted to sleep with Puma, just to keep her company...I hope the lady will be able to keep them in the Barn for the duration:fingerscr They...and you have come so far. This can not be for nothing:fingerscr

catsnatcher-CDN
July 24th, 2006, 11:31 PM
I can't stop thinking about how scared she must be alone tonight, in hte middle of nowhere with no familiar sounds and smells.

chico2
July 25th, 2006, 06:57 AM
OMG,C-S I can sooo sympathize:sad:
Puma must feel abandonned and trapped,unfortunately they don't understand,what is being done is for their own good..
I am sure she'll feel much better when Thelma and Louise arrive:fingerscr .
My Chico is laying here on my desk,a carbon-copy of Puma..
It took a lot of courage and fighting the doubting feelings for you to do this,just think of the alternative,what life would be for them without you,this coming winter:sad:
Unfortunately her first instinct will be to escape,:fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr that it will not happen!
Is this a barn built FOR the cats,or is it a place where animals or feed will be kept??Is it near a home??

Frenchy
July 25th, 2006, 12:26 PM
The barn sounds like kitty hotel!She will have fun hunting mice and insects all day,try not to worry,you did a good thing for her :thumbs up

catsnatcher-CDN
July 25th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Thanks everyone, for your comforting words. The barn is really amazing as long as they adapt and accept it.

The barn owner gave me an update on Puma. SHe still has not come out from behind the fridge.

I caught Louise this morning. I will bring her tonight to join Puma.

Thelma is not going inside the cages when I'm near the cages. I don't think I'll be able to catch her today or tomorrow.

Here's Louise in my garage waiting for the ride to the barn.

Frenchy
July 25th, 2006, 01:00 PM
AWWW,they will all be reunited!:grouphug:

chico2
July 25th, 2006, 04:27 PM
C-S,it really is a wonderful thing and soon the kitties will know that too,it's new and Puma is scared for now,but she'll be fine:thumbs up
I can certainly understand how this is hard on you,you've taken care of them for such a long time and while you are still living there,you'll miss them:sad:
I was told,the person(s)doing this is a great cat-lover,so feel good about what you've done so far for these kitties,where would they have been without you?
I hope you'll be able to catch Thelma too,so they can all be reunited:fingerscr

catsnatcher-CDN
July 25th, 2006, 04:39 PM
The barn owner is a psychologists and she is very level headed and seems like she's willing to keep them locked in as long as it takes.

The only bad thing is if they don't adjust and/or they escape, they won't come back and they're as good as gone. They will not survive the woods.

That's the chance I'm taking with them. I'm gambling that:

1. they will be free to come and go only when they feel that they are no longer trapped.
2. they won't escape before that happens.

cpietra16
July 25th, 2006, 04:50 PM
CS..it's going to be Ok. I hope they have water and some food for Puma very close by so she won't make herself sick by not eating or drinking....

did she recongnize your voice when you went the second time? Are there 2 doors so that the outside door will be able to be opened without fear of the cats escaping between the legs? Although these cats have been domesticated somewhat, maybe they still have the feral instinct that will let them survive the woods, incase one escapes. I feel your nervousness , but this is a great idea when you consider the ulternative

catsnatcher-CDN
July 25th, 2006, 04:59 PM
The room is about 12 feet by 12 feet and has alot of windows where they could look out. The food is at the other end of where she's hiding. I trust the owner of the barn, I trust my contact to the barn also. It's the cats I don't trust. They don't always make the best decisions for their survival!!!!!

The cat room is at the end of the barn. The barn itself has 3 entrances. The door to the cat room is a sturdy, no-nonsense door. The cat door has not been installed yet. If the cats get out of the cat room, they will find themselves stuck in the barn with a horse. They won't find their way out immediately.

I''m going to ask to take pictures of the room tonight. I don't want to impose of the barn owner too much. Already, i'll have to make 3 trips there and instead of the planned single trip.

catsnatcher-CDN
July 26th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Update on Puma and Louise:

Last night, after catching Louise, she was OUT of HER MIND. She had a bad time at the vet and pooped in her cage on the car ride there. By the time we got to the barn, she was hissing and growling.

However, earlier that day, Puma had come out of from behind the fridge and let the barn owners and their child pet her. When we got there, she didn't try to hide either. She sat and watched us releasing Louise.

This morning, I called to check up on them and all day, Puma and Louise have been in the company of the barn workers and the family. Everyone has been petting them and showing them affection.

Here's a pic last night of Puma and Louise in the barn.

cpietra16
July 26th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Can I move in>..wow now that's a barn.:p

poodletalk
July 26th, 2006, 04:31 PM
What a nice looking barn, it looks like someones basement.

Everything is turning out well for Louise and Puma :thumbs up

Did you catch Thelma yet? :fingerscr

catsnatcher-CDN
July 26th, 2006, 04:50 PM
nope. Thelma won't eat in the cage. She'll in front of the cage and in front of me but the minute I put the food in cage, she won't eat...even if it's been 2 days since she's eaten.

She LOVES rotisserie chicken so I buy it all hot and warm from Maxi. I know she's hungry and I give her a small tiny piece and she follows me to the cage. I throw pieces of the chicken at the far end and she'll sit in front of the cage and look at it. She won't go in. I even tried to put a trail to the end of the cage ( like a small piece at the entrance, another small piece in the middle, etc) and NOTHING! She gives up and walks away and won't eat.

I'll have to " re-train " her to trust the cage.

chico2
July 26th, 2006, 04:50 PM
I was a little worried about reading your post,But"the barn"looks fantastic,now I am certain they'll all be fine:thumbs up
Could HS not lend you a humane trap to catch Thelma,I know they do here..it must be difficult sneaking up on her and closing the door of the carrier without her getting spooked.

chico2
July 26th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Ooops,you answered quicker than I posted...would she let you pick her up???
It takes 2 people to put Chico and Rocky in a carrier,maybe if you had some help,you could get her in there:confused:

catsnatcher-CDN
July 26th, 2006, 04:56 PM
The humane trap is my last resort... althoough if she goes inside the humane trap, she'll go inside the pet carrier. I watch her from the window and she STILL won't go in the cage wether I'm there or not.
She was like this the first time I had to catch her too.

;)
I'm not going to try to pick her up, because she will panic and IF she gets away, it's over. She will NEVER go in the cage again. I have to be patient and try to coax her in by her own free will.

chico2
July 26th, 2006, 05:03 PM
I guess she thinks of the carrier as a bad thing,as do my cats,since they are only in it to go to the vet and they howl all the way there:eek:
We always end up forcing them in head first,into a up-ended carrier,then at the vets they won't come out.But happily run in when the examination is over.
She is probably also missing Louise and Puma,wondering where they are:sad:
Good luck getting her into the carrier:fingerscr

catsnatcher-CDN
July 27th, 2006, 02:09 PM
I just got a call from my contact at the barn and she says that the barn owner intends on putting the cat door in by next week so that the cats can come in and out of the cat room to the barn on their own free will. She assures me that the cats will not run away and they will stay inside the barn.

I was under the impression that they would be locked in for at least a month.

Any objective opinion on this would be very appreciated.

chico2
July 27th, 2006, 02:37 PM
C-S,I know you are worried sick,as would I be..but maybe by next week they will have calmed down enough to be ready to explore the rest of the barn.
Maybe once they see the horses,they'll quickly return to their safe place:fingerscr
How about Thelma,did you get her???:cat:

catsnatcher-CDN
July 27th, 2006, 02:44 PM
don't you think maybe after a week it's too soon?

I'm debating bringing Thelma there now. I was told that they would be locked up for at least 4 weeks. I was even going to try to push for 8 weeks. Now, in a week, they have the run of the barn...

Maybe I made a big mistake.

Prin
July 27th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Can't you ask them to keep them in a bit longer? What harm does it do to the people to keep them in longer?

chico2
July 27th, 2006, 02:58 PM
C-S,explain to them how you feel,after all they have been your responsability for a long time and you love them..
I cannot see what difference it will make keeping them safe a bit longer.
As for Thelma,I think the sooner she is reunited with the other two,the better they'll all feel IMO,I hope at least..
I know these people are doing a great thing for the cats and I am sure they'll respect your wishes,for the safety of the cats.
They can still put in the cat-door,just leave it closed up.

catsnatcher-CDN
July 27th, 2006, 02:59 PM
The barn owner doesn't want to keep the cat litter closed up in the cat room because it will stink. She wants to put the litter in the barn area which will give the cats the freedom to roam inside the barn. For her, the sooner the cat door is in, the better.

They will not keep the cat door flap closed. My contact is saying that they will keep the cat door flap that leads to the outside closed but the one leading to the barn from the cat room open.

poodletalk
July 27th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Maybe since the construction workers are there now, they want to make the hole for the door, which I can understand. If the construction workers had to return in a month it would cost the barn owners more money.

Can you ask the barn owners, if they make the door could they seal it off temporarly so the cats can't explore the whole barn?

No, I don't think you made a bad mistake, they are better off their then on the streets.

catsnatcher-CDN
July 27th, 2006, 03:05 PM
That's right poodletalk. They don't want the construction workers to come back. I understand that it's an extra cost. But they don't want to keep the flap door closed because she doesn't want the litter box to stink up the room. She wants it in the barn which means the cat will be able to roam inside the barn within a week rather than the 4 weeks I thought they would have to adjust to the change.

poodletalk
July 27th, 2006, 03:10 PM
If she cleans the litter box every day, it won't smell. I don't understand her theory about it smelling.

Perhaps, you can offer to buy the extra litter so she clean the box everyday. (Maybe she's the type of person who cleans it once every of couple of days and thats why shes concerned of it smelling? :confused: )

Buy her some nice air freshners to keep the room smelling nice. :pawprint: :cat:

Prin
July 27th, 2006, 03:13 PM
They'll be allowed in the barn but not outside?

catsnatcher-CDN
July 27th, 2006, 03:21 PM
No, I can't tell her anything. Her and my contact BOTH agree to removing the litterbox from the room. She won't take my suggestion especially if my contact agrees with her about removing the litter box. They seem convinced that the cats will not runaway from inside the barn and will, of course, adapt by then and not escape.

I was on the phone for an hour with my contact and she doesn't see it my way and the cats are not really mine anymore so....My contact also told me that there was no way that the barn owner would enclose them in the room with the flap. She definately intends on giving them the run of the barn.

I told my contact that they may make a run for it if a door is opened and she says there's no reason they would. :confused:

Prin,
ya the cats can go from the cat room to the barn but not the barn to the outside. That's what I'm told. Then again, I was also told that they would absolutely not leave the room until they were ready so I'm beginning to feel like I'm told things in bits and pieces.

I'm really second guessing my decision. Really.

cpietra16
July 27th, 2006, 03:36 PM
If they clean the litter everyday and keep the windows open ( i'm thinking they have screens...right) then the smell won't be that bad...besides if horses live on the other side of the door won't they smell worse??

catsnatcher-CDN
July 27th, 2006, 03:46 PM
There's no point suggesting alternatives to the litter situation because both her and my contact are in agreement about removing the litterbox and are just waiting for the construction workers to install it. They will not leave the litterbox there longer than they have to even if the cat s*** smelled like pot pourri.

I'm under the impression that this was the plan from the get go.

They sem pretty sure that the cats will be safe inside the barn. I'm pretty sure that the cats will take off given the chance.

I don't know barns or a barn cat's life. But it seems obvious to me that a feral cat will take off given the chance. They say I'm wrong...

Prin
July 27th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Maybe they won't if there is tasty food in the barn..:o :grouphug:

chico2
July 27th, 2006, 04:53 PM
I am really sorry you have to worry so much:sad:
How can you ever be 100%sure they will not run off into the woods,thinking they can go back home:sad:
You can't!
Depending on how skittish they are,they just might not have any desire to run for the out-doors,there is just no way of knowing,we can just hope:fingerscr
If you took them back,what would their future be,with you moving??Probably a certain death,especially in the winter:(
Still I wish they would have just a little more time to adjust to this very different life.
As for the litterbox,I don't really understand the reasoning:confused:
Are these cats even litter-trained???Having been feral,they probably don't even know what a litter-box is for:cat:

cpietra16
August 2nd, 2006, 08:47 PM
Hi CS have you been able to catch Thelma?
I should let everyone know that Charlie and Tiger are not very happy right now with me. As a matter of fact, Charlie has yet to show his face. It's ok, though; since He's never been in a house before and definately feels very unsafe
...as for Tiger, she's doing better. She has hissed at me but still lets me pet her on the nose...they or one of them is/are eating because the food is gone in the morning and the litter is quite full...it will be one week on Saturday that they have been here so it will be awhile before they can trust me to come out of hiding.... will take pictures when they don't have a face that says "I want to leave":yell:
Thanks CS for trusting them with me..I'll try not to let you down:fingerscr

Frenchy
August 2nd, 2006, 09:14 PM
Lucky kitties!:cat: They will come around,it must be so strange for them,being in a house! Soon enough,they will know they are on :cloud9: Thanks catsnatcher and cpietra16 = :angel:

catsnatcher-CDN
August 2nd, 2006, 09:17 PM
Cpietra,
I absolutely trust your judgment and I'm so relieved that Charlie and Tiger found a home just in the nick of time!

Puma and Louise are not settling in well at the barn. The barn owner thought she was getting cuddly cats it seems and now is dealing with cats who are trying ot break out of the window net. Last night, they had a tornadoe that freaked out the two of them and left a bit of dammage on the roof of the barn. I was told the cats are fine though.

I haven't caught Thelma yet. She is the last one left. I'm being told that the barn owner is tolerating Puma and Louise and is willing to deal with the fact that they are wilder than she expected. If the barn owner is having to struggle with Puma and Louise, I don't think she will be receptive to Thelma at all. Since Thelma is not as tame as Puma and Louise have been with me, I am almost certain I will not be bringing Thelma to the barn.

Which leaves me with the question on what to do with Thelma. She has been hanging around one grey/white cat who terrorizes her when he's in the mood (pun intended) but tamer than her when he's not.

Even if I could catch her to bring her to the barn, which I can guarantee she would escape within the month and not survive the woods alone, she won't go inside the cage under any circumstances.

chico2
August 3rd, 2006, 08:02 AM
C-S,I was wondering what was happening at the barn:sad:
I don't have any idea how to deal with semi-feral cats,but I would think,with patience and care,they would eventually come around,maybe it's just too soon for the barn-owners to expect good results:confused:
Don't you think Thelma would be better off with her kitty-family?
Or maybe I am wrong thinking a pack of cats bond?

CPietra,I don't know how to express how greatful I am for you to have taken Charlie and Tiger,you are just a wonderful person:love:
Looking at them out there in the winter-cold,often had me in tears..
I don't know how you manage all these cats,Tess,the 2 sisters and now these 2? +whatever others you have?
I hope they both come around and realize what lucky kitties they are and reward you with purrs and cuddles,I know they could not possibly be in a better place:grouphug: :cat:

catsnatcher-CDN
August 8th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Just a quick update for those following this thread.

Charlie and Tiger are safe at cpietra's place.( :angel: thank you x 1000000000)

Puma and Louise are still at the barn ENCLOSED in the catroom.

Thelma is still loose outside on her own. I can't catch her because everytime I set up a trap, a gray/white cat eats the food and goes in the cage. By the time his belly is full, she leaves. Since I have no place to bring the gray/white cat and I've been trying to catch Thelma for over 3 weeks now, I'm almost convinced I'll have to give up on her and leave her by herself.

I'll keep trying for a while longer but until that gray/white cat is gone, there is now way I can trap her. The only reason I even keep trying at this point is because she is being terrorized by other cats who are trying to take over her territory.

Here's Thelma:

badger
August 8th, 2006, 11:22 AM
cpietra, such a labour of love. Can you lock the grey and white cat up for a couple of hours? Even just in a cat-carrier, I guess if he yowls blue murder it might be a problem; try covering the carrier with a blanket. Is the trap in a well-lit area, that would maybe make the bully boys hesitate, whereas Thelma is more of a regular.

catsnatcher-CDN
August 8th, 2006, 11:25 AM
The gray/white cat has no fear of the cage. Once I trapped him, I can't let him go, he will never go back in. I have to have somewhere to bring him.

Because Thelma has been trapped before, she knows what the cage is all about and it seems to be burned in her memory because she only recently started eating in front of the cage again.

cpietra16
August 8th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Badger....trust me if Charlie could gouge my eyes out he would....I have had many ferals in my life, but Charlie and Tiger are not real feral cats. You see, Charlie and Tiger were outdoor cats, in a familiar area where they felt comfortable and had food 2x a day; they had CS and many other freinds. To them that was heaven. Then Hell came...MY HOUSE. They are not happy. Charlie has yet to come out of hiding. Everytime I get close he hisses and paws my like he wants to "kill". There is so much fea and hate rigt now that my heart is so broken. Every day I think of the picture of Charlie and Tiger rubbing against each other, and how happy they were. If you see them now it breaks your heart. They really feel like they are living in captivity. It really breaks my heart.
Having said that I will not give up , but Charlie is very very sad and Tiger helps herself to all the food and is getting fat:yell: I will post some pistures soon and you will see how sad they are...

catsnatcher-CDN
August 8th, 2006, 11:51 AM
hmmm....I'm starting to feel like I may have disturbed them all and should've just stayed out of their lives altogether. Maybe I should just leave the grey/white cat and Thelma alone. Maybe I don't know what's best for them after all. :sad:

cpietra16
August 8th, 2006, 11:55 AM
I haven't given up...and I really never do. I just want Charlie to realise that I cause no danger and I can't do that...he needs to feel that. It's just hard when he is in hiding 24hrs a day....Don't worry CS, I knew it would be hard so its not too surprising. I just thought it would be with Tiger and not Charlie...Charlie is making it harder on me because there's nothing he really lacked at your house...so food isn't an insentive right now..but I'll keep trying.

catsnatcher-CDN
August 8th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Update:

Puma and Louise are roaming inside the barn freely and sleeping in their baskets in the cat room at night. They've settled in.

Another private barn will be taking the gray/white cat in October.

I still can't trap Thelma.

cpietra16
August 8th, 2006, 04:32 PM
That's great...now you just have to catch Thelma:yell:
By the way don't forget you are leaving soon so leaving them on their own was really not an option. \at least they will still get food, and a warm place in the winter. Charlie just has some trust issues that he has to get over.:D..he will come around, after all his favorite hiding place is betwn 2 walls 6inches of space...maybe if \i fatten him up he won't fit in there anymore:D

chico2
August 9th, 2006, 07:15 AM
My son and g/f are visiting from Alberta so I don't have much time on the PC,but always check if I see Homeless.
Cs,I can understand if you have feelings of doubt,they were happy and free,being fed by you every day,enjoying the summer.
Then comes winter and misery,their guardian:angel: moved,a totally different scenario:sad:
IMO,you did the only thing you could do,finding them help:love:
CPietra,I too am really surprised Charlie is the one hiding,but having probably never been between 4 walls before,this is scary for him(always thought "he"was a girl)...
I am sure even my own cats would be hiding in the same situation.Hopefully they'll both see how fortunate they are to be safe and warm and with a person who really cares.
You are the best for helping them,although I am sure you have a house-full,I:pray: they'll come around with a little more time.:grouphug: