Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hyper Beagle

levi1023
January 7th, 2006, 02:45 AM
My Son has a Beagle, Moe, that is approx 6 months old. He has always been active, but in the last month, he has become horrible. He attacks everything, runs about like a maniac, and is quick to snap or even bite if you try and get ahold of him to stop him. We all have a few scars from nips. Tonight my nephew accidently bumped him with the door, it startled him more then anything, and he tried to bite him. But then within 5 min he was forgiving and was running about again. He is so aggressive I don't know what to do. We have a cockapoo which we never crated and she is very sweet and well behaved. I don't know what we are doing wrong? I am afraid to let Moe around anyone for the fear he will bite them, especially any of the family children. Some days he is so bad I am actually afraid of him and make him stay in my sons room until he comes home from work. Days he is calmer and not biting me, I try and hold him and play with him, I talk to him and pet him trying to let him know we love and accept him and hope he will accept us and calm down, but then the next day he's a maniac again. I am desperate. I know it will break this familes heart to give him away, but I am tired of being scared in my own home. A freind told us to get him neatured and that will help, is that true? we are planning on that anyhow next month. Help!

LavenderRott
January 7th, 2006, 04:14 AM
Your dog has a bite history. You can't "give him away".

I don't mean to sound harsh, but your dog doesn't need love and acceptance - he needs training. He needs rules. My best advice would be to find a trainer and get the little monster into a class right away.

tenderfoot
January 7th, 2006, 12:06 PM
How old is your son? Realistically since you are the adult in the house this is really your dog. It is your responsibility to train him and teach him manners. he is just 6 months old and any missing links in his training and/or relationship with you are going to be magnified right now.
He has learned that he can push everyone around with his snotty attitude but that does not mean he is a mean dog - he just hasn't had a chance to learn how to be good. Typically the biggest mistake people make is they just let the dog hang around and do as it pleases 24/7. This places the puppy in charge of his life and so he thinks he is in charge of everyone else too. Time to put him to work and teach him right from wrong.
Having him on the leash in the house attached to you can help a lot. This gives you a great opportunity to guide him into better behavior. You are ready to correct bad choices and reward good ones. This pup does not need to be shown how much you adore him - he thinks he owns the world and everyone adores him. He needs to know that you are in charge of his world and are willng, able and ready to guide him through it.

StaceyB
January 7th, 2006, 12:30 PM
How much and what kind of exercise does this puppy get. Also what kind of training has he received and as the others have asked how old is your son.
This puppy has reached adolescene and has yet to learn the rules of the home.
When dogs don't get the amount of exercise that they require it will amplify all the bad behaviours. If he hasn't learnt the rules yet he will make his own. They don't learn how to be good on their own, you have to teach them. You will need to get him into classes with the whole family and learn how to train your puppy so that everyone in the home does the same thing and is consistant in doing so.
If you have already began to be fearful of his bad behaviours he will use them to his advantage to get what he wants from you. Your puppy should not be allowed to make his own decisions, you make them for him. Having a 6 month old puppy closed up in a room all day does not help any of you.

t.pettet
January 7th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Obedience classes will help you train your dog into the best he can be. You and your son will learn how to deal with the pup's behaviour and give you a better understanding of the doggy brain. Neutering is a definite plus also, get rid of some of that tetestrone. Don't wait till he's a year old, enroll him now as he's already very dominant and his behaviour will only get worse. Fix the problem rather than passing it on to someone else.

Lucky Rescue
January 7th, 2006, 02:56 PM
What do you do when he bites?

Agree with everyone else. If this dog isn't getting enough hard exercise, make sure he gets it. Get enrolled in an obedience class so you can learn how to deal with and train him.

A freind told us to get him neatured and that will help, is that true?
Neutering helps with behaviors created by testosterone ONLY. Training is still necessary.

BernerLver
January 9th, 2006, 02:04 PM
I agree with everyone else. It sounds like you need to have more confidence with this dog. You are the human so you're the boss. Your dog needs to understand that.

I think training will help him learn desired behaviours and also help you build a better bond.

It's not really fair to banish him to a room away from everyone because you haven't taught him how to properly behave.

sprayeddog
January 9th, 2006, 03:52 PM
I agree with most of the things that's been said. The way I see it, the beagle has 2 problems. 1. he doesn't realize it is NOT ok to bite, under any circumstances, and 2. he doesn't know everybody at home including your son have a higher 'rank' them he does, and everybody is his boss, not the other way around.

We have a beagle (Toby, who's with my parents now and is 10 yrs old now) and he was the easiest dog to train when it comes to biting. Like all dogs, he had a chewing problem at one point in time and there are still some serious bite barks on my parent's dining chairs, but he's been very good when it comes to human. He never ever tried to nip / bite any of us from the very beginning, and when he happened to nip us during play time by mistake, even though we may think it's no big deal he'd think he's got into a big trouble and would have the most innocent look on his face. He never needed to be trained not to nip or bite, so I always thought that was the nature of Beagles ... but I guess not.

Beagles are VERY high energy dogs and we used to walk him twice a day ... we still HAVE to walk him at least once every day even though he's 10 yrs old now. Make sure he gets his exercise but even then I think it is mandatory you train him not to bite.

My dog Matty, who's a 8 months old Lab, is a totally different story when it comes to nipping. Matty's been extremely nippy with everything from day 1. We spent LOTS of time training him not to nip and like I always said, he must have thought his name is "no bite" at one point in time cos that's what we told him all day long. Everytime he nipped / bit we'd tell him "no bite", hold his jaws together, and later on isolate him for a brief period of time. It's a LONG and tedious process but he finally gets the idea. Matty still nips us from time to times, and we still have to correct him, and he's still always testing the boundary when it comes to biting things in the house, but at least he knows what not to bite 90% of the times, and would stop biting on the first "No bite" or "Leave it" command we give in the remaining 10%.

It's not going to be easy but learning not to bite is critical to your family's safe-being as well as the dog's. I think 6 months is still a very train-able period and I wouldn't wait a day to start training him now. It's not going to be easy and it'll take a long time, but I am sure it'll be very rewarding when he finally gets it.

Beaglemom
January 9th, 2006, 04:36 PM
I also agree with the others. This pup needs to be taught some manners. He is not aware of what is required of him at this time as he hasn't been taught how to behave as of yet. He is still young and will test you if you allow him to.

Beagles are also pretty active little dogs and if they are not given the sufficient amount of exercise to burn up all that energy, they can become very destructive and hard to manage. He needs a way to release this pent up energy, but he needs you to help him do it in a way that is acceptable to you and the family members.

I have a beagle and I will have to admit that when she was a pup, boy did she have energy and at times was a handful! Even now at 9.5 years old she is still a very active dog who will still run around the house and backyard. What she has never done is nip or bite during play. She knows that it is wrong and won't do it, ever.

Dogs need to be taught manners, they are not born knowing them. Some dogs are calmer than others. Some are stubborn and will test you if given the chance. If you let them get away with something, they will try to get away with a lot more. Don't let him push you around.

I highly recommend that you enroll him in a dog obedience class to help you teach him some manners. I did that with my beagle and I can honestly say, it was money well spent. She is an obedient dog who knows the boundaries.

Neutering is always a good idea if you don't intend on showing your dog.

sprayeddog
January 9th, 2006, 04:54 PM
I have a beagle and I will have to admit that when she was a pup, boy did she have energy and at times was a handful! Even now at 9.5 years old she is still a very active dog who will still run around the house and backyard. What she has never done is nip or bite during play. She knows that it is wrong and won't do it, ever. That sounds EXACTLY like our beagle. ;)

I wouldn't expect too much of a change as far as behavior goes from neutering, but if you don't plan to breed your dog you should get it done anyways, and he's at the right age (6 mths) too.

I think obedience class is a good idea. For starter though, everytime the dog bites or try to bite, hold his jaws together (this is uncomfortable to him, but doesn't hurt him) and firmly tell him "NO BITE!". Hold his jaws until he calm down / sits down. Then turn around and ignore him (don't even look at him) for a brief moment. If he bites again in the meantime, isolate him by putting him in another room by a minute or so.

Very soon he'll know that the moment he bites all the fun stops, and everybody turns into 'statues'. If he doesn't calm down quick enough, he even get isolated from all the action and it's a game he can't win.

That's what I did anyways ... it's not going to be easy cos he's already developed a habit, but if you can be consistent and patient with it it'll work.

StaceyB
January 9th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Please don't hold the mouth shut unless you would like to be bit. As soon as you let go they will probably snap back at you.