Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Boxer female not coming into season

Catina
January 6th, 2006, 10:33 PM
I am having problems with my boxer females not coming into season. Everyone of them had puppies their last time. I started watching them closely when it was time for them to come into heat. I have not seen any of them come into heat yet. It has been about 3 months now. I feed all of my dogs Iams mini bites dog food. It is high in protein. I was wondering if maybe they are getting to much protein and it is causing them to miss cycles. Does anyone have any suggestions or an answer to my problem? Thanks
Catina

Prin
January 6th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Did you get the "Welcome" email where it said that this board was VERY VERY pro-spay/neuter?

If your dogs come from champion lines, the experienced breeder who bred them should be able to help you with these matters.:)

Sneaky
January 7th, 2006, 12:41 AM
Catina,
How long ago did they have puppies?
Is it possible if it has only been a few months since the pups
were gone that they havent reached estrus yet. If they really
have gone too long, perhaps you should consult a vet.
Hopefully you are not planning back to back breedings
of your dogs - it is very stressful on them and is not
recommended. Usually high quality breeders only breed their
dogs every couple of years, and only a few litters before retiring
their bitches. Its simply too difficult on them.

Iams is not a very good quality dog food, I would consider
it a "bottom of the barrel" food. Perhaps try switching
over to an actual high quality good such as Merricks
Solid Gold, or something like that. Pretty much a guarantee
about dog food quality is this: if you can buy in a supermarket,
it isnt high quality.
Vet clinics and actual pet stores should sell higher quality foods.

meb999
January 7th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Did you get the "Welcome" email where it said that this board was VERY VERY pro-spay/neuter?

If your dogs come from champion lines, the experienced breeder who bred them should be able to help you with these matters.

Yep!!
I Don't think this is the right forum for you --- I'd put on a fireproof suit if I were you!!

Lucky Rescue
January 7th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Every one of them had puppies their last time.

How many dogs are you breeding and why?

Catina
January 7th, 2006, 02:39 PM
:sorry:
Apparently, I have posted a question on the wrong forum.
Thanks,
Catina

Sneaky
January 7th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Again I will just make my comment,
excellent job on refusing to help someone
by working very hard to get them to leave.
Well done.
Personally, whether or not you all are pro spay or
neuter should not cause you to refuse to help
someone. You catch more flies with sugar than you
do with vinegar.

mona_b
January 7th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Well done.
someone.

And WE are supposed to help her find out the reason "all" her boxers are not coming into heat.Even though "all" of them have already had puppies????

Sorry,but this is not a reputable breeder....If it was,then they sure as to heck would NOT be on this site.

Catina,do your female Boxers a favour and have them spayed......:)

Prin
January 7th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Well done.
someone. You catch more flies with sugar than you
do with vinegar.
I will not advise somebody on how to breed their dogs for profit better. If this is a medical issue, she should be at the vet. If it's a breeding issue, there are FAR better resources available to reputable breeders that she would know about if she was one. Why would you help somebody pump out puppies for profit? :confused: :confused:

Sneaky
January 8th, 2006, 04:13 PM
I dont think you should make assumptions without
knowing the truth.
You have no idea who this person is or why
she is breeding her dogs. She could very well
be a reputable breeder just starting out.
I really dont think its polite nor acceptable to just
tell people "you shouldnt come here because we are
pro spay or neuter". Forums are for all people are they not?
Just because you decide to pass judgement on someone
doesnt mean they are worthless.
Would you refuse to let a child into a school because
of their parents bad habits? Refuse to serve someone because
they ate with their fingers in a restaurant? I think not.
Why should you turn people away so blatantly without even
knowing the facts?
Not all people who breed their pets are bad, and not all are
puppy mills or "byb". I think passing judgement on people when
you dont even know them is harsh and uncalled for. It certainly
doesnt have a place in my life, and I dont agree with it.
ALL Dog breeders that are "reputable" start somewhere, and not
all start out as perfect and wonderful as you would all like
to believe. However, with help from knowledgeable people who resist
the urge to pass judgement, we could work to not judge and hate
people who choose to do this, but to help inform them, and to give
them advice that could lead to their becoming a better breeder,
or perhaps even deciding to not breed their pets in the future.

Lucky Rescue
January 8th, 2006, 04:46 PM
neuter should not cause you to refuse to help someone

Pardon? Help her HOW? By telling her just why all her dogs aren't coming into heat? And how would WE know? I have no idea. Do you? If you do know, why didn't you give her the diagnosis and remedy?

This is ALL this person wanted to know - how to keep the puppies coming. What else did she ask for help with?

Just because you decide to pass judgement on someone
doesnt mean they are worthless.
Where on earth did you get THAT from?:confused: Please quote exactly where anyone called her "worthless" or even insinuated it in any way?

She WAS given advice:
If your dogs come from champion lines, the experienced breeder who bred them should be able to help you with these matters

Do you really believe a reputable and knowledgeable breeder would be coming here for advice? Never. A reputable breeder would spend the money to seek vet advice.

mona_b
January 8th, 2006, 09:53 PM
She could very well
be a reputable breeder just starting out.

I really highly doubt that.

Like I said before,NO reputable breeder would come on this site to ask a question like the one that was asked.

sneakypete79 here is some info just incase you didn't know this.

When you buy a pup from a breeder,you are put on a s/n contract.IF you are planning to show/title,then you are put on a non-breeding contract.The breeder will only take you off this contract if your dog has become a Ch/Titled...THEN if you plan on breeding,the breeder will be your mentor.

Not all people who breed their pets are bad,

Oh really?

I beg to differ....NO ONE should be breeding their pets.

Sneaky
January 8th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Ok well im sorry but i disagree with you all.
You are all way too quick to rush to judgement and
make assumptions.
Not all breeders that are reputable require a spay neuter
contract. My mother in law bought a purebred CKC registered
female yorkie who came with no such thing.
So not "ALL" reputable breeders require this.

I am not saying she is right to breed her dogs nor endorsing her
particular practices.
But for someone to come out and say "you are on the wrong forum
and shouldnt be here" is rude and uncalled for.
My education and personal beliefs do not allow for judgemental behaviour
and ignorance. Have a good day.
My apologies to all new comers who find this site rude and ignorant and biased. Not all members are like that.

Bushfire2000
January 8th, 2006, 10:50 PM
Hey guys have you visited the main page lately. If you go to pets.ca you are greeted with "is your pup preggars". Just what do you think she thought she'd find here, certainly not what she did.

LavenderRott
January 8th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Selling registered or registerable puppies doesn't make one a responsible or ethical breeder. Just means you have purebred dogs.

Every ethical breeder I know sells pet quality dogs on a s/n contract. Show quality dogs are handled a bit differently, but the afore mentioned ethical breeder is available to answer any and all questions that someone who has one of their pups might have about anything in the dogs life - up to and including breeding issues on properly titled and tested dogs.

MOST new breeders start out with a bitch. A bitch. This lady has more then one, according to her post, and also judging from her original post, doesn't know that generally bitches come into season twice a year, not once a quarter.

I am sure that the people in Boxer rescue are happy to know that this person is breeding dogs and to keep some foster room open for the upcoming pups. (Or not, if she doesn't bother to vet her dogs and find out what is truly wrong with them.)

LM1313
January 8th, 2006, 11:42 PM
"Every one of them" sounds like at least three bitches, in my opinion. Because most people would say "both bitches" if there were only two.

Just red flags all over the place. Multiple bitches who've all had puppies and she's trying to get them pregnant again--after three months? Does that mean their puppies have already been taken away? (Ideally they stay with mom until 12 weeks . . . four weeks in a month, so that equals three months.)

There was definitely something not right there. A reputable breeder would know that dogs come into heat every six months and that they shouldn't be bred without a break. I knew that before I got my first dog--and I was twelve. If I could figure that out from general dog books years ago, a reputable breeder could easily find information on canine pregnancies by picking up a book . . . BEFORE breeding dogs.

~LM~

Prin
January 9th, 2006, 01:40 AM
No reputable breeder would sell without a s/n contract or without closely following the dog its whole life. Why? Because unneutered pets often end up in puppy mills- especially Yorkies- how many Yorkies get stolen? Where do you think they end up? No good breeder wants to see their puppy pumping puppies out heat after heat after heat. No good breeder wants to see any animal they brought into the world live SUFFERING.

Has your mom's breeder ever contacted her since the purchase? How do they know your mom is not pumping out litter after litter?:confused:

I was like you before. I thought I knew what a good breeder was and then I was educated and found that I knew nothing of the breeding world. People I thought were good breeders, on second glance, ended up just in it for the profit and had no real respect for the animals. They looked GREAT on the surface. GREAT. But to a person who knows exactly what to look for, they sucked.

The truth is, this board is full of rescues and people who adopt from rescues. It is no place to ask for breeding advice since most people here are cleaning up the sad, horrible mess that these twits leave in their wake.

mona_b
January 9th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Not all breeders that are reputable require a spay neuter
contract. My mother in law bought a purebred CKC registered
female yorkie who came with no such thing.
So not "ALL" reputable breeders require this.

Yes,ALL reputable breeders do have a s/n contract.I guess you don't know the difference between a reputable breeder and a BYB.

Selling registered or registerable puppies doesn't make one a responsible or ethical breeder. Just means you have purebred dogs.

Exactly.

Which under the CKC Pedigree act,states all purebred dogs must be registered....If no,they are not classified as Purebred.

I was put on a neuter contract..If I didn't get them neutered at 6 months(unless a health issue)I would have been taken into court and sued for $5000..That would have been a total of $10.000 for both dogs.

Sneaky
January 9th, 2006, 11:37 PM
Has your mom's breeder ever contacted her since the purchase? How do they know your mom is not pumping out litter after litter?

Yes, the speak about once a month.
The breeder followed all policies as outlined in the CKC website
for high quality breeders.
She does not require a s/n contract as this dog was considered
to be breeding quality and was sold as such.
She is a breeder listed on the CKC website and was recommended
by 4 of 6 vet clinics in the area as being one of the best breeders
of Yorkies in the area.
Her dogs are in high quality condition, and she only breeds 1 litter
every second year and after 4 litters retires a bitch from breeding.
Doesnt sound like a BYB breeder to me.

Again, dont jump to conclusions without knowing all the facts.
My dad used to always say "Dont Assume - You not only make an Ass out
of YOU, but One of ME as well".
Good Advice.

Catina
January 17th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Apparently, a lot of people assume too much. ASS out of U and ME. I do know that bitches usually come into season twice a year. Another thing, if an individual would want to show the puppy later on, they can not be spayed or neuter so not all reputable breeders have a s/n contract. For your information, I love my dogs dearly and they are a part of my family.
I feel for the ones that are members of this forum that do not act like idiots. I appolize to them and for the ones that are ignorant, I feel for you.
:mad: