Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

question about adoption etiquette

raingirl
January 6th, 2006, 09:37 PM
As some of you may have seen my thread about my sister wanting a dog. Turns out that my nephew doesn't have an "official legal diagnosis" of all his issues, therefore making him not qualified for any kinds of assistance dogs.

Also, my sister is a little TOO eager to get a dog. I really need to get involved now, or she may do something stupid. She doesn't have internet at her new place yet, so can't check petfinder. She could go to the library, but is alone all day with my nephew, and it's too hard to put his wheelchair stroller on the bus just to go look at listings at the library (expecially since he is being fed by a feeding tube right now).

Would it be totally inappropriate to start contacting rescues about possible dogs for her on her behalf? Do you think they would understand if I explain to them the situation? I may also have to fill out applications for her as well, and then they can contact her by phone.

Do you think this would be ok? I saw a dog on petfinder recently where the owner passed away. The dog is 5 I believe, trained, used to someone being home, and low maintenance (not long hair, etc). I know the particular rescue is VERY picky about it's adopters though (one of them sent me a nasty email once when I was looking for a dog and mentioned that I was worked full time, saying it was impossible to have a dog and work fulltime...whatever).

Lucky Rescue
January 6th, 2006, 10:31 PM
(expecially since he is being fed by a feeding tube right now).

I didn't see your other thread, but if your sister has such a needy child, has she thought about how she's going to care for a dog as well?

If she's thought about it and decided she can do it, then yes - certainly contact rescues. Tell them everything you can think of about your sister's situation and what kind of dog she needs. Also tell them about any dogs she had in the past and what happened to them. If they think they may have something suitable, then you can print out the listing and show it to your sister so she can call them if she's interested.
However, if your sister is in a great rush, that's not going to help matters. Most rescues are very leery of people who say "I need a dog/cat right now!" I know we don't like that.

This could be a 10 - 15 year committment so some time should be spent finding the right match. An older dog who is used to kids would be good, but even then the dog will have to learn to get used to the wheelchair which can frighten some dogs if they've never seen one.

I can't imagine a rescue saying no one who works should have a dog??? A puppy, I can understand, or if the workday is 10 hours, but most people who have adult dogs do work. On the other hand, some people are home all day and leave the dog chained outside or stuck in a kennel....for us, it all depends on the people and what they are willing to do to make it work.

raingirl
January 7th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Here is the link for all the details from the other thread:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=22471

My sister has never had her own dog (our mother is allergic to basically all pets, so we didn't have any growing up), but lived with one until recently, which is why she wants one now. He was a King Shepard (GSD I believe she said) and he was AMAZING with my nephew. He loved being with him, watching him, and when he had seizures or something was wrong, he would go get my sister.

She just moved to Brampton from the east end of Toronto, so I can help her out with things now too (watch/walk the dog when she can't, etc, since sometimes she spends a couple days in hospital with my nephew for testing)

It's just that my sister doesn't always make the right decisions. She is impulsive I know, and I am trying to stop her from either going to a pet store or the pound (the prob with pound dogs as they don't know their temperment or history usually, and she may get a bad dog and end up having to return it, and she knows NOTHING about raising a puppy).

Idealy, she needs an older dog (I was thinking 5+), trained, calm, low maintenance, and lower energy. One that she can walk often in the day, that won't pull on leash while she pushes the wheelchair (I say wheelchair, but it's actually a special baby wheelchair that looks like a stroller). I am not sure if she has a yard (haven't seen her place yet, but I believe it's either a town house, or a basement apartment).

I guess the only other requirement would be that it needs to be ok with other dogs as he and Odin would need to get along if we watch him.

Her BF wants a beagle, since the other people who live in the house have one (the people who live upstair have two dogs). I don't know much about them though, or how they usually are with kids.

Bushfire2000
January 7th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Raingirl I think you said that your sister had moved closer to you.
If I were you I would find dogs that you felt were suitable on line then invite your sister ,nephew and your sisters BF to your house to look at them.
I belive that any rescues would insist that your sister fill out applications herself and would need to speak to her in person.
Your nephew is very young so this dog would mostly be a companion for your sister and her bf.
They need to be aware that this animal will need to relieve it's self out of doors it will need walks and exercise on a regular basis. Who is going to do this? If your sister is reluctant to take her son out because of his feeding tube how is she going to handle a dogs needs? Her son is her first priority does she have the time or resources to afford a dog?:confused:

raingirl
January 7th, 2006, 12:41 PM
She goes for walks outside several times a day and would take the dog with her each time. It's just that going on a bus other places (she doesn't drive yet) is hard with the feeding tube as he needs to be fed every few hours. But she does go out in her neighbourhood. THe dog would have to be ok with walks, not runs, or indoor exercise (or if she has a yard, then she can play out there with him). Dog parks in Brampton don't allow children, so she couldn't take him there with my nephew, unless she went we me and Odin and stayed outside with my nephew. I guess we could do that on weekends. (she needs bulldog like ours...who is lazy and HATES going out, even to pee! but Odin doesn't play nice with my nephew as he thinks he's a toy)

Luckily, disability pays for most of my nephew's needs, so they have the extra cash for a dog (plus, moving to Brampton from Toronto saved them almost $500 on rent each month!). Her BF (I guess legally they are "common law" as they have been together 5 years and have a child) works long hours though (12-14) in construction, so it is also companionship for her as well.

I admit I worry about her getting a dog, as she *may* not understand what she is getting into, however, I also worried about her having kids, and she is doing ok so far. She has matured a lot, but is still very immature in many ways. My theory is that it would be better to help her find a suitable dog then risk her getting a dog that is either from a pet store or pound that she may give up if it doesn't work out, or worse, that might hurt my nephew. If someone has their heart set on something, it's better to educate them then ignore them.

Bushfire2000
January 7th, 2006, 12:46 PM
If I were you I would find dogs that you felt were suitable on line then invite your sister ,nephew and your sisters BF to your house to look at them.
I belive that any rescues would insist that your sister fill out applications herself and would need to speak to her in person.

I still think you should try this.

Lucky Rescue
January 7th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Yes, your sister will have to fill the app and call the rescue herself. No rescue will agree to adopt a dog out without speaking to the person is actually getting the dog.

A beagle might be a good choice. They are generally happy and friendly. Here's a couple that might fit:
http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=5524213&adTarget=&SessionID=43c01dd555dfb3f3-app3&display=&preview=0&row=25&tmpl=&stat=

This one is only 8 months old, but is said to be well behaved in the house, likes other dogs and walks well on leash - another important point for someone pushing a stroller. He's cute as a button too!:)
http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=5305710&adTarget=&SessionID=43c01dd555dfb3f3-app3&display=&preview=0&row=25&tmpl=&stat=