Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sonic Bark Collars?

puppy4ever
January 6th, 2006, 12:56 PM
I've seen a lot of these on eBay. It sounds very humane but I'm wondering if there might be any adverse unwanted behavioural problems as a result? My goal is not to get my 6 mon. old puppy to stop barking completely (this is his way of communicating!) but to give a few barks and then stop! He seems to really enjoy the sound of his own bark unlike myself or my clients (work from home).

I've done quite a bit of training with him and can sometimes get him to quiet it down to a low "woof" instead of high pitched mania...but he isn't getting it really. I always talk very quietly when trying to get him to quiet down. I guess the problem I see is that he loves to bark!

What do you all think? Is the collar a bad idea?

Rottielover
January 6th, 2006, 01:08 PM
does not work, my neighbor has one for her dog, keeps barking, just louder

SnowDancer
January 6th, 2006, 03:57 PM
I agree that the collars don't work. I have a little barker - an Eskimo - part of their nature. Have heard of a few people who bought them from E-Bay - there was a lot of availability - wonder why?

puppy4ever
January 7th, 2006, 02:07 AM
Thanks - I never really considered that they might not work. Appreciate the advice...saved me the hastle and expense!

LavenderRott
January 7th, 2006, 03:10 AM
My mother's poodle has two scars on his neck from his. Needless to say, he doesn't wear it any more.

tenderfoot
January 7th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Having her on the leash during times when she is barky gives you the chance to empower your words and really let her understand that a couple of barks is okay but more than that will get pressured from you. Give her a leash coreection and say 'quiet' in a firm tone when she is quiet then praise her for making a good choice. But be ready to correct the next mistake again until she puts it together and chooses to keep quiet on her own.
It's best that she learns to respect your word and make better choices than to get zapped from a collar and not be able to understand fully who is guiding her.

puppy4ever
January 7th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Thanks. Guess I need to be more patient and keep on top of it.

I think the sonic collar is different than the shock type collar...emits a sound signal - probably annoying to dogs nevertheless.