Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat in Heat?

cpietra16
January 6th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Ok..now this is embarrassing, since I have never had a cat that actually ever reached the "Heat" stage; here's the question....Could Tess be in Heat? She has been chirping all day and she seems to want attention more than usual. For People that remember her, I got her in August from the SPCA who assumed she was a senior...then turned out she was 2-4 years old. SHe never displayed any of this behavior before today. At the time the vet could not tell if she was spayed and we thought she may have been. Anyway I was watching for signs for most of September, October and never saw any so i assumed she must have been spayed. I don't want to book her for a spay if she has already been spayed,so is this behavior a Heat behavior or something else?

Lucky Rescue
January 6th, 2006, 09:08 AM
If you got her in August and she was not spayed, she would have been in heat long before now.

Cats in heat typically yowl and make little "mrrp" noises, are often very affectionate, but could be crabby and irritable too. They will posture if you stroke them just where the tail meets the back - that is, they will squat down, stick their tails up and shift their weight back and forth from foot to foot.

These are just general behaviors, and not all cats will do all of them, although the majority will do the squatting thing.

Hope this helps!:o

cpietra16
January 6th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Thanks LR.. I thought she should have displayed the behaviour long before now too, but since all my other cats were all spayed and neutured before it happened I wasn't sure what to expect. I think I will watch this behaviour and if it continues take her to the vet....Will there be something they can do to find out if she is spayed. I sure don't want her to be cut open and be told that she has already been spayed.

cpietra16
January 6th, 2006, 09:42 AM
OH Know I think she is in heat.....I rubbed her back and she did exactly what you(LR) said she would do...she went all the way down and her back legs were kneading the carpet.....how could she have not have displayed this behavior before now....Well I need to get her spayed so when will be the best time? Does she have to be out of this heat? Will I have a million tom cats on my property? Will the other females know and how will they treat her? She is still a happy cat and she lets me pick her up...is she in pain? I feel like I have been hit with a brick I feel so bad for her...oh I am rambling on and will now go and phone the vet.....:(

StaceyB
January 6th, 2006, 09:43 AM
I would assume they could do a blood test to find out for sure. The last thing you want is to send her in for the surgery, have her put out to find she had already been done.

cpietra16
January 6th, 2006, 09:58 AM
double posted

Lucky Rescue
January 6th, 2006, 04:01 PM
If she's in heat, and it does sound like it from what you are saying, that means that she was not spayed OR was spayed and some ovarian tissue was left behind. Either way she needs surgery.

She couldn't possibly be in heat if she were completely spayed. You can have her blood tested for estrogen, just in case of the odd chance of her behaving this way for some other reason, or can go ahead and have her spayed right now.

cpietra16
January 6th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Yes I will have her spayed, but was recommended to wait until after this heat. I will be taking her in on Monday to have her tested. Thanks for all the info. I really thought I knew all there was about cats...who would have thought that even a small amount of ovarian tissue could make her act like this or the fact that she never went into heat in the last 6 months that I've had her....live and learn, I guess. Too bad she has to go thru it...

cpietra16
January 6th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Seeing Tess go through this Heat is awful. She has always shown her playful side and this is what she looks like today....she is miserable. Please spay your Kitties. It really breaks my heart to see her so depressed.

Inverness
January 6th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Not that I am suggesting in any way that you should not have your cat spayed, but I really don't see why you feel she is so miserable ! Being in heat is a normal condition ! What would be hard on a female would be to endure going into heat time after time without ever being bred - this would not happen in nature - but skipping a heat or two is nothing ! All good breeders do that ! Unless there is a disease underneath, your cat is not suffering... she's just, well, in heat ! ;)

cpietra16
January 6th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Iverness,I have had her for 6 months and she has never looked and acted so depressed like she does now.I know I am definately overreacting :o and I know its a natural course of nature, but she is my baby and I hate to see her chirp all day without any rest. My breeder friend told me the sames thing, but when I see her like this I feel helpless.

Prin
January 6th, 2006, 10:22 PM
I don't know about you all, but nature or not, when I'm finishing my heat, I'm pretty depressed, bloated, crampy, crabby, irritated, tired, impatient.......... So yeah, I pity the kitty.:)

Inverness
January 6th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Hum... hard to say... anthropomorphism ?;)

CyberKitten
January 6th, 2006, 11:30 PM
Cats in heat ARE miserable and need all the TLC they can get!!! They are not just yowling that hideous wail to get your attention. (And one should experience a Siamese in heat, you want yowls!!! NOT good! My first Siamese - a long time ago went into heat and it was ear splitting yowls that I am certain the entire neighbourhood heard and my poor girl was in such pain and discomfort!!!! I felt so sorry for her.) Patting her sometimes helps. I hate to see cats in heat - and that is why reputable breeders only ever breed their grand champions for 2 years, 3 at the very most!!! No caring cat "mommy" wants their baby to go thru heat too often - not to mention the fact that spaying of course results in a much healthier cat less likely to die from cancer or pyometra or other illnesses. I would pet her as much as possible, and try Rescue Remedy maybe to help her frustration.

If you feel your cat is realy suffering, some vets may be able to give your her hormones to stop the oestrus, if spaying is not immediately possible. Spaying is possible during heat but of course is more complicated a procedure and it is best to wait.

Prin
January 6th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Hum... hard to say... anthropomorphism ?;)
It's not hard to say... Just sound it out.;)

CyberKitten
January 7th, 2006, 12:01 AM
Prin, that phrase reminded me how difficult the English language can be for people who are learning it. Hard can mean so many things, :)

Inverness
January 7th, 2006, 12:28 AM
:rolleyes:

Well, let me rephrase and re-explain.

I meant to say it is hard to say if a cat is so uncomfortable during her heat, since she cannot tell us. I personnaly think the meowing and screaming is not meant to tell us she's going through hell, it's meant to attract males. Well that's what I believe anyways. We women certainly do feel a little crappy when our hormones go up and down, but not to the point where we would need medical attention each time (well, usually...). So I feel that saying a cat is suffering when she is in heat is anthropomorphism since it is merely an interpretation of behaviours we don't always understand. Hum... do I sound logical ? It's getting a little late I think...

CyberKitten, I know what Siamese sound like... I have 4 ! ;) Although they are spayed (and neutered - there's one male in there), they were all rescued from breeding mills and sometimes, they rehearse those opera solos they so very well know... :eek:

And of course, I was in no way implying not to have the cat spayed... I personnaly CANNOT stand hearing and seeing a cat in heat !!! :yuck:

cpietra16
January 7th, 2006, 08:03 AM
I enjoy reading your conversations...very helpful to read about other experiences...and by the way how long does a "Heat" last????:confused: Winnie(lab) is completely confused on her yowling...and is getting a little frustrated with Tess rubbing herself all over...poor Winnie keeps trying to hide from her but sure enough is always found:(

chico2
January 7th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Cpietra,although I am sorry to hear about Tess being in heat,I cannot help noticing how good she looks in the picture and what a lucky kitty she is.
She'll be spayed and I am sure she wll be her happy greatful self in no time.
Unless her depression and lethargy is a sign of other problems,I hope not:sad:

Lucky Rescue
January 7th, 2006, 09:51 AM
and by the way how long does a "Heat" last????

With cats it's hard to say. Some cats have heats separated by weeks or months, others will be in heat more or less constantly until spayed or bred. This is why vets often have to spay cats who are in heat. It's done all the time.

cpietra16
January 7th, 2006, 02:37 PM
This "Heat Session" is killing me:yuck: . After a night of yowling...I'm exhauted:sick:

Inverness
January 7th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Yeah, I bet mom feels like sleeping too, now that the feverish night is over ! ;)

cpietra16
January 10th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Is she or isn't she spayed and was it a heat that she went thru, could it have lasted just 3 days????well the vet shaved Tess and tried to find any hint of a scar....no scar. Then we opted for an ultrasound....not clear if she was or was not. Well Tess went into heat for 2 days and on the 3rd day was back to her normal self....the only thing that the vet saw was discharge and she thinks that that is enough to assume that she was in Heat. She was surprised that a cat would not be more reactive in her Heat but I guess Tess is Tess... she has class:D and on the 23 she will be getting spayed. The story continues:D
Beside the cold that she just picked up, according to this vet Tess very very healthy:)

Rottielover
January 10th, 2006, 01:01 PM
count yourself very lucky that she is not completely miserable for longer. Poor tess, soon my dear tess...soon, you will be free, LOL

jawert1
January 10th, 2006, 02:18 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but there are certainly "times" where I'd like to just sit and yowl at the top of my lungs for the discomfort ;) Poor Tess, soon you will be free to chirp only at will and not the direction of hormones!

chico2
January 10th, 2006, 03:44 PM
CPietra,in the pic,she could be my Vinnie,there is something about white cats,something angelic:D although Vinnie is often far from angelic,according to Rocky and Chico:D
Good luck with the spaying!!

cpietra16
January 22nd, 2006, 07:51 PM
Well jan23 would have been the big day...but yesterday Tess got into her yowling, chirping, butt in air, kneading with her back paws scenario again. I called the vet and she said we need to wait 3 weeks...I don't understand since the last time she went into "heat" it lasted 3 days, everything stopped for 2 weeks and now it started again:confused: I just hope we can spayed her before the next heat:confused: whenever that will be.....anyway just thought I would update on Tess

chico2
January 23rd, 2006, 07:01 AM
CPietra,sorry to hear that,poor Tess poor you..
I don't understand why she cannot be spayed now,in stray cats,I am sure they don't wait to spay,at least not for 3 weeks.
But then I've never had a female in heat.