Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

worried and lost

lilroo
October 14th, 2003, 02:17 PM
I have a 3 1/2 month old silky terrier and about a week ago I found these egg looking things all over his bed.

I waited a few days more to see and study it more and it comes from his rear area. It is wet almost like a bugger and dries up in an oval shape. He constantly itches and now has an immense amount of dander. I also found that he has a scaly part on his skin on the back that he scratched and looks like a wound now.. what is it? will it go away?

i was looking online and Im thinking its either seborrhea or a bacterial or yeast dermatitis?

he also has bites in his ears and was treated a month ago for an ear infection.

please help

Lucky Rescue
October 14th, 2003, 03:58 PM
Your dog definitely has tapeworms - you will need to get medication from your vet. These are very common and easy to get rid of.

As for his skin problems - it could be anything from allergies to parasites - and need to be analyzed and treated by your vet.

lilroo
October 15th, 2003, 12:18 PM
Tapeworms!?!?! Is that contagious? So I should get my puppy to a vet immediately?

Lucky Rescue
October 15th, 2003, 12:38 PM
Yes, take your puppy, along with a stool sample, to the vet. He may have other parasites that can only be detected by analyzing a stool sample.

The itching and scratching needs to be addressed too.

I wouldn't worry about catching the worms from your puppy.

How long have you had this puppy and where did you get him?

lilroo
October 15th, 2003, 01:52 PM
I have had him for a little over a month. I got him at a pet store in FL.

Lucky Rescue
October 15th, 2003, 04:18 PM
Oh dear. Pet store puppies come from puppy mills and often have various illnesses and genetic defects.

Did you get some kind of warranty of health or a guarantee?

You can try taking your vet bill to the pet store and kicking up a stink to make them reimburse at least some of your money.

Jim Button
October 18th, 2003, 02:48 PM
I hope you have already been to your vet! It sounds like multiple pest infestations. The skin lesion is particularly worrying. It coulb be a type of mange which is manefested in puppies and weak immune system older dogs caused by a parasite that dwells in hair folicles. While most dogs will cure themselves of this puppies often cannot. It is difficult to control and the cure is very hard on the animal.

Jim

lilroo
October 20th, 2003, 10:12 PM
I took both advices and took Lill Roo to the vet... Lucky you were right he had tape worms and roundworms. I didnt know dogs could get so sick from being at a puppy store. I had never known much about puppy mills except for they were bad.

Jim I also got his skin checked out. Apparently I washed my dog too much and it made him itch. The scab was self inflicted.

So he is now dewormed and will get another deworming pill 2 weeks from now and is on some skin conditioner. I wanted to say thank you soo much again for your advice!

Take Care!
lilroo!:)