Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fruits and berries and veggies... what would you advise against giving?

Jenmlf
January 5th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Hello,

I have just discovered that Bailey loves Honeydew Melon! I hope this is a good thing. I know that there is some fruits, berries and veggies I should avoid but I don't know what ones. If someone can help me out instead of me being paranoid whenever I want to try something on him but am not sure if he is going to get sick from it. So far I know that he loves Honeydew Mellon, carrots and raddishes! Any info would be great!

Thanks!

the gang
January 5th, 2006, 04:57 PM
stay away from raisons, very bad for them ,and grapes, baby carrotts are full of sugar, all i can tell you is i have 4 min pins they love ,strawberries maby 1 each not often they go crazy for bananas and cantolpoe but 2 get gaz, and they love big carrotts good luck brenda.

SchnauzerGirl
January 5th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Hey, this is a timely post! I was just researching what fruits and veggies that I can give Schultz as I have switched him over to a raw diet.

So far this is what I have determined to NOT feed as they are toxic:

Onion
Large amounts of garlic (a small amount is ok, fresh is the best)
raisins and grapes
avocado
chives
mushrooms
peanuts and peanut butter
Macadamia nuts
potato leaves and stems
pits of cherries, peaches and apricot
apple seeds
walnuts
yeast dough
mustard seeds
rhubarb leaves
tomato leaves and stems
cashew nuts (from a few of the posts on this site)

I was also surfing the internet and came across one site that said that tomato is toxic (not just the leaves and stems, but the fruit too), it also said that citrus fruits are toxic as well. Can anyone confirm this? I have given Schultz small amounts of tomato recently and mandrin oranges since he really likes to eat both fruits.

Anything else to add to the list of do not feed (besides chocolate, caffeine, alcohol)?

cpietra16
January 5th, 2006, 05:03 PM
I didn't realize peanut butter was toxic.:eek: ...that's what I used to put in Winnie's Kong up until she started her diet. I guess thats out! Too bad she really liked it

SchnauzerGirl
January 5th, 2006, 05:11 PM
I went to a holistic vet over the holidays and she said no more peanuts as they can have a deadly mold (I think it is a mold), and of course I can't find the name of what it is! But yeh, no more peanuts and peanut butter. She said to use Almond butter and that pumkin seeds were good too.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 5th, 2006, 07:05 PM
You can get doggie aerosal peanut butter to put in the Kongs. So is it just the human kind thats not good for dogs. Joey will eat anything so I too need to be careful about what I can and cant give him.

Are big carrots okay, I thought they were good for their teeth,

technodoll
January 5th, 2006, 09:18 PM
re: avocados and peanut butter... hey if it's good for me, it's good for my dog!! the only proven toxic things for dogs are chocolate, onions, garlic in huge doses, grapes and raisins. dogs raid garbage cans and eat rotten moldy stuff all the time and it doesn't kill them - course it's not optimal nutrition (a raw diet is though :party: ) but it's not dangerous. Must stay away from the fear-inspiring myths and always seek the truth, LOL! fyi my dog eats peanut-butter sammiches on a regular basis and i often mash up a fresh avocado in his food for extra nutrition - not only ain't he dead, he's in optimal health with never an allergy, upset system, itchies, Nothing.

ps: this does not mean a dog can't be allergic to certain foods - just like with humans, it happens to them. the best advice is Know Thy Dog and don't believe everything you hear about this is toxic and that is toxic. use good judgement, common sense, research research research, and *never* assume a processed, chemical-laden substance such as "kong stuffers" are better for your dog than the real thing.

i mean, just look... would you honestly want your dog ingesting:

Whey, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Water, Milk, Dextrose, Maltodextrin, Modified Corn Starch, Sodium Phosphate, Salt, Carrageenan, Guar gum, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Lactic Acid, Caramel Color, Annatto Extract (color), Cheese Cultures, Enzymes, Choline Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, dl-Alpha Tocopherol Acetate, Selenium Supplement, Niacin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Ascorbic Acid, Iron Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Manganous Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid Supplement, Ethylene Diamine Dihydriodide, B-Biotine Supplement, D-Activated Animal Sterol (source of Vitamin B-3).

or

an organic peanut-butter made with ONE ingredient only... fresh peanuts...?

btw the first item is the ingredient list for Kong Stuff'n Paste Peanut Butter. YUCK! :eek:

Prin
January 5th, 2006, 10:18 PM
Avocado pits are the dangerous parts... There are dog foods with avocado in them and nobody is complaining.;)

Peanut fungus is just as deadly to humans as it is to dogs, so if you don't want your dog to die from it, don't eat it either.;) There is some skepticism with organic peanuts because the fungus is so common that if the nuts are untreated, they will likely have the fungus. I don't know how organic farmers get around it.

And good for you isn't necessarily good for the dog. Take chocolate. Supposedly, it's great for a healthy uterus, but it will kill a dog. Our bodies are very different.

I think it's wise to listen when they say, "such-and-such food is toxic", but you have to research why and which part. People leave out one word here and there and it changes everything.

technodoll
January 6th, 2006, 08:37 AM
prin you voiced it better than i did, LOL! eating avocado pits never even crossed my mind :confused: i mean who does that? hmmm

and of course i meant "besides foodstuffs proven to be toxic for dogs", if it's good enough quality for me to eat (meat, peanut butter, bread, etc) it's good enough for my dog to have as a snack, as long as my individual dog does not react badly to it - every dog is different.

it,s sometimes hard to get thoughts across logically, but it's what i meant... the closer to "natural" we all eat, the better our health will be for it. same for our dogs. :)

ps: about the organic peanuts & mold: i imagine there are strict inspection guidelines in place at the cleaning & transformation plant, just as there is for meat: good stuff gets accepted and made into product for human consumption, bad stuff gets dumped or recycled or who knows what, but it's out of the human food chain. unfortunately, vast amounts of "unfit for human consumption" foodstuffs gets recycled for animal feed, which includes dog food. how ironic is that?

Rottielover
January 6th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Since when has peanuts and peanut butter toxic. Why would health food stores( pet ) sell cookies and treat made with real peanut butter. Something is very off by that one. I will do more research and tell you. But I really do not think it is

StaceyB
January 6th, 2006, 09:25 AM
I have yet to hear anything about the peanut butter but before they found out that grapes and raisins caused kidney failure they put them in treats. Nutrience had a grape biscuit and kong had a recipe that was in their flyer that included grapes.

technodoll
January 6th, 2006, 09:29 AM
i think that by now... most foods toxic to dogs have been identified and well-documented... funny though how you don't see "gaines burgers" or "kibbles n' bits" on the toxic foods list - cuz they are!!! :evil: I'd give my dog grapes and peanut butter over those chemical bags of deadly preservatives any day! grrrrr.

Rottielover
January 6th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Ok, I went and did some research with animal nutritionalist... It is totally faulty information. Peanuts and peanut butter is completely harmless. All that can happen is if given a couple jars at once can cause stomache irratations, and diareah. Way to much protein in one sitting. So for everyone feeding kongs with peanut butter relax...Keep feeding, your dogs will love you for it

StaceyB
January 6th, 2006, 09:37 AM
They are still learning what is toxic and not toxic for dogs. With grapes and raisins, they have been proven to cause kidney failure but don't yet know how many consumed will do this. This was only found about 2 years ago. It was also said that taurine would cause trouble but now they are adding it to foods and say that it is good for them.
Fish is bad for cats, causes stititis.
Not everything that is good for you is good for your dogs. They are not people and have different systems from us. I would not give my dogs something that I know could harm them.

StaceyB
January 6th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Many more studies are being done these days with pet foods than was done in the past so not all is known yet.

SchnauzerGirl
January 6th, 2006, 12:54 PM
I honestly think that it depends on the dog and the guardian on what to feed and not to feed, just like what we eat - some people are vegetarians, some people don't eat red meat and so on.

I am going to follow what my holistic vet said about peanuts and peanut butter because Schultz is allergic to something and maybe the few bad peanuts in all the peanuts he eats is only aggravating his problems or because of his problems, he may eat the one bad peanut that makes him uber sick. For my puppy, it is better to be safe than sorry and there are other alternatives to peanuts and peanut butter.

So there was a site on the internet that said that Nutmeg was bad for dogs, that it was a hallucinogenic. Anyone heard of this?

Prin
January 6th, 2006, 09:39 PM
The issue with peanut butter is that some peanuts can be toxic, but those same peanuts are toxic to humans. So if you have peanut butter on your toast and you end up in the hospital, don't feed it to your dog.;)

The only other issue is that it's fatty, and some dogs don't digest fat well. But every dog is different.