Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

medication for dog?

susanm
October 14th, 2003, 10:30 AM
I'm wondering if it is Ok to give my dog tylenol? He's a 4 month old labrador who weighs 38 lbs. He had a fall last night, and while he is ol - just a scrape on his nose, he seems to be pretty tender this morning. Nothing is broken and he is getting around very well, just a little sore. Will the tyelnol help his aches and pains?

Lucky Rescue
October 14th, 2003, 11:24 AM
NO Tylenol! The only thing that may be given to dogs is plain "Aspirin" - no other human pain relievers.

For a 4 month old puppy who is a little sore, I probably wouldn't give anything at all. If he is not better in a few days, a vet visit might be in order.

Carina
October 14th, 2003, 08:33 PM
Agree completely with LR.

Keep him as calm as you can (difficult with a 4 month old Lab, I know!)
Pain meds can mask pain, and encourage the animal to use the limb more than they really should - pain can send an important message. Most sprains will heal up pretty fast if you keep him off it as much as possible.

Jim Button
October 18th, 2003, 03:03 PM
NO TYLENOL!!! It is toxiic to dogs! ASA is ok in the children's form, but there is a new pain med for dogs and (duh) I just cant pull the name out of my head... Watch Animal Planet on cable ... it is advertised frequently there.. Of course you could also call your vet..

Jim

PS Tylenol is toxic to people too in A. Large doses and B. Taken with alcohol (hang-over). Tylenol is metabolized in the liver verrrrry slowly. And can do a lot of damage. The tragedy is that a frequent "Overdose" call we get is a teenager who OD's on Tylenol.. Unless we get those pills out very quickly, the child's "call for help" is an unfortunate success. Not today but in 6 months or a year when their liver begins to fail.