Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

5:30 am is NOT playtime!

DrmnOfMaui
January 5th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Our new mini poodle has been spending the night in her crate since we brought her home 3 weeks ago. She has done wonderfully up until the last few days. Now she always would wake up and beging whining (little yips...) sometime around 6:45 or so, but that is about when we get up anyway. I would immediately take her outside, and as soon as she got over her initial excitement of seeing someone (I would try to ignore her after an initial pet and hello) she would piddle. Occasionally on the weekend I would bring her to bed with me and she would go back to sleep.

So..... the last two day she has been waking up earlier and earlier.... yesterday it was 6 AM, today 5:30. I took her out to piddle and yesterday she did a good one, but this morning it lasted all of 1 1/2 seconds and she wanted to play. She refused to settle down, so I put her back in her crate and she "sang" (howled mournfully... it is indeed such as sad sound!) for 1 hour until our normal 6:30 release time.

I had been worried that she had to go potty so that was why I was letting her out, and she did indeed go fairly quickly after letting her out (she goes in between 9 and 10 at night, so it is quite a time).

What do I do? 5:30 is not ok! Do I just never come down until our 6:30 normal time? She has gone all the way until 7 before. I know that the family that had her before us (she is 2) did not crate train her and she was used to sleeping in their bed. I wouldn't object to this too much but she is not housebroken in our house and really enjoys using the living room floor as her potty if given the chance!!!

Thanks you guys... you have all been a wonderful help during our "transition" time! She is still clingy and doesn't like my husband, but it is better...

Kim

tenderfoot
January 5th, 2006, 02:25 PM
I am impressed that she was not crate trained and has done as well as she has so quickly.
If she were mine I would either have her in the bed with me - she will sleep longer next to a warm body - or put her crate in the bedroom next to me. The pack sleeps together and that is natural for her. That way I can be sensitive to her needs (potty) and be able to correct her when she howls for attention. Often a dogs behavior will change a bit after the first few weeks (honeymoon period) as they start to test the boundaries of the house.
If she needed to get up to potty I would take her out on the leash and take her right back in a put her back to bed - no games, no loving. She needs to learn patience and wait for the leader to get up. 6:30 is certainly not a late wake up call and going to bed at 9-10 isn't so early. You might want to make sure that she hasn't had a long drink just before bed so that she would need to get up.

sprayeddog
January 9th, 2006, 04:06 PM
You've already had your question answered by a professional so I'm just going to share a bit of our experience :)

Matty used to wake up in the middle of the night (sometimes 5:30am, sometimes 4:00am, and even 3:00am at one point) and would continue to bark even after we've taken him out. Everytime he needed to go in the middle of the night we just let him out, then put him back in his crate right after. No playing, no funny business, but he would just bark and bark. We couldn't get any sleep, myself and my wife lost weight over those few months, and I'm thankful that our next door neighbour is an animal lover and is very understanding, cos even they heard Matty in the middle of the night.

We tried everything, from leaving a radio on to ignoring him to yelling at him to rattling his crate. Nothing worked. We even thought about getting a bark collar but eventually gave up on the idea. Instead, we got ear plugs, and gifts for our neighbours for being understanding.

Looking back it was quite a nightmare but eventually he got the idea. It took a LONG time ... the first month he'd start barking at 4:00am and would bark for hours, rest for 30 minutes then start barking again for hours. The next 2 months he'd actually stay quiet until 6:45 - 7:00am, and then he'd mark restlessly ... it's ok for wkdays, but we couldn't sleep-in for wkends.

Now Matty's 8 months old and we can sleep till whenever we want. On wkends, he'd whine at ~ 7:30, which is his usual up-time. He may bark once or twice, but that's it. If we ignore him, he'll go back to sleep or play with his toys, and whine / bark once or twice every 30-45 minutes until we get up and let him out of his crate. We slept till 10:30am just the other day and he only barked once at ~ 8:00am.

So all I'm going to say is yes it is a pain but that's how puppies are like. Just be consistent, keep up with the good work and eventually he'll get it.

downloader
January 11th, 2006, 10:29 PM
you already have two great posts, but I can add just a little something. Keep the puppy up a bit later at night. Play with it and make it run around, burn off the energy. Plus it will take time. Our puppy cried every 3 hours it wasn't crate trained. With in 2 months he sleeps from 11:00 till 7:00. What a change. Good luck
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/Harrytruman/P1010736.jpg
www.bluewhippet.net