Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

6.5month old trying to bite

TracyG
January 5th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Hello all! I am just wondering if this is a normal phase of puppyhood. Our golden is doing great but lately she's started trying to bite again when playing. She wasn't doing this for the past few weeks. I'll be sitting on the couch and she'll be sitting next to me chewing a toy and suddenly she's lunging for my head. Or, we'll be playing and she'll turn and try to snap at our hands. When she does this I make her get off the couch or stop playing and put her in a sit or a down...or, if i can, I get her back into her pen and ignore her for a few minutes. If I can't do that...I leave the room. Sometimes she's better when I come back but sometimes she just goes right back to the doing it again. She's had a bit more freedom lately so is she just testing us? Should we put her back on the leash more in the house? Any other suggestions of what we should try?

jessi76
January 5th, 2006, 09:11 AM
sounds to me like you're doing everything right, and she's just testing you. Pups go through a period where they get a bit whacky - they seem to forget their training, start acting out, testing you, basically being HUGE pains in the toosh... stay consistant with your routine and training, and she'll snap out of it.

StaceyB
January 5th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Ah, this is what you would call adolescence. The way I describe it is this. It is the time when your pup appears to know nothing and gets into everything stage. Everything that you thought you had already dealt with comes back, mouthing, chewing, accidents, etc. You need to stomp on them or they will become formed bad behaviours but it is quite normal. You seem to be doing the right stuff so keep with it and it should subside.

tenderfoot
January 5th, 2006, 09:58 AM
It's not puppyhood it the dreaded TEENAGER STAGE!!!!!! She is just entering it and starting to test your boundaries again. It is a sign of lack of respect for her parents. I would get her back on a more consistent regime of obedience and use it throughout the day. Having her attatched to you in the house can straighten things up quite quickly too. It reminds you to communicate with her, it gives you the the last word, it gives you the chance to correct bad choices and reward good ones in a heartbeat and makes you the leader and her the follower. Kind of like grounding your kids when they get out of control - keep them closer to home and you can help then make better decisions in life.
Often people get their pups to a good stage and they think their done and back off and give them more freedom. As you have discovered she isn't ready to be given the keys to the car yet. Once your dog is fully matured (approx. 2 years) then you will be able to trust her behavior more if you have taken the time to teach her good manners.

TracyG
January 5th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Sounds good! Thanks for the advice! We are starting obedience class next week so it looks like it's coming at a good time! It will give us things to pratice with her!

TracyG
January 5th, 2006, 05:42 PM
You guys weren't kidding! She had an accident in the house tonight! Hasn't done that in weeks! Boy...adolescence is going to be fun! NOT!! How many months does this usually last??

yoda900_ca
January 5th, 2006, 11:59 PM
in my experience usually between18months-2yrs it straightens out. I feel your pain, my 6.5month malamute is starting to hit the same stage. He just learned how to lift his leg to pee(outside) and he started trying to grab food off the table the next day and snap at us if we corrected him.little bugger :evil: Stay on her, she'll be a great dog in about a year just don't give her an inch or she'll proably take a mile. good luck:fingerscr

StaceyB
January 6th, 2006, 09:21 AM
It usually lasts a couple of months. It is good that you will be attending classes through this time. It will make everything easier to get through. Adolescence means that your dog is going through behavioural and sexual maturity. It is just as frustrating for them as it is for you.